Harmonic balancer replacement - What kind of puller do I use? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Harmonic balancer replacement - What kind of puller do I use?

Hello all-

I'm midway (past midway?) into replacing a harmonic balancer that was damaged by a loose crank pulley. This is on my '95 E320 wagon, so it's an M104 motor. I've scoured and re-scoured every related thread I can find, along with YouTube, trying to figure out what kind of puller to use to get the balancer off. I saw one reference somewhere for "a universal import puller from AutoZone," but none of the ones I can find locally are even close to what I seem to need. Given that the bolt holes for the pulley are tiny, it seems like some sort of jaw-type puller is in order, but the ones I've found all have center shafts that are far too long.

I've had relatively little trouble getting to this point (27mm center bolt removed, etc.), but now I'm stuck. Any help is much appreciated. TIA-

JJ
Tulsa, OK
'95 e320 wagon
'82 300CD
'79 VW Westfalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '99 S420 111K
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LogicalPosition
Have You Tried...

Is there a MB dealer in Tulsa?
Is there an indy that would rent you their MB puller?
I'm guessing there is a *special* puller for such situations.
Did you scour websites that sell special tools? MAC, Craftsman, etc.

I'd like to see pics of what kind of damage a pulley could have made to require replacement of that balancer. Have you ever pulled one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You are what you drive!" Big Al

There is perception, and then there is reality.

'99 W140 S420 111K, '94 W124 E320 124K (sold! Repurchased 10/3/16, sold 11/17)
'14 BMW X3 XDrive 38K,
'13 BMW X1 28K (Traded). '11 BMW 328i XDrive 19K(Traded)
'08 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon 56k (Traded)
'83 BMW 320is "Sport" (48k, sold! converted to EV!)
'87 190E W201 (sold!) '85 Audi 5000 (sold!)
'76 250 W114 (sold!) '72 280 W114 (sold!)
'67 200D W110 (bartered) '62 220 W111 (buried)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There isn't a need for a puller unless you're trying to remove the hub ring from the crankshaft. Look over this link and you'll better understand the way the pulley and balancer are set up.

http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M...03/03-3240.pdf

Good luck

Jayare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi guys-

Thanks for the replies. I'll attach a couple of pics here to show what I'm dealing with. Because the pulley was loose for some time, it ended up wallowing out the bosses on the balancer, as well as leaving some broken bolt ends in the balancer as well. I'm not sure how this this didn't fling loose the last time it was running (I drove it ~10 miles home!), but I'm glad it didn't.

@LogicalPosition - I've replaced balancers before, but never on this motor. I'm assuming it's not going to need a ton of force to slide off the end of the shaft, but then again...
@Jayare , I'm not sure what you mean by "hub ring," but in my case the whole balancer assembly needs to come off of the end of the crankshaft, so that I can replace it with the new (rebuilt) assembly. The pulley itself has already been removed.

In the few threads that I've managed to find that cover this repair, I've only seen vague mentions of a puller, and none that mentioned anything about a specific Mercedes tool in this instance. Frustrating, to say the least. In the meantime, I'm off to Hazard Fraught tools to see if they've got anything that'll fit the bill.
LogicalPosition likes this.

JJ
Tulsa, OK
'95 e320 wagon
'82 300CD
'79 VW Westfalia
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
By "hub ring", I'm referring to the collar on the crank. When I pulled the one off my 400E, I just used one of the three arm pullers I have on hand. I found nothing special about the process. I did have the radiator pulled and put a protective cover against the condenser and you are correct in assuming there isn't much resistance once the collar starts moving. It has been about 6 yrs since I did this and I was undergoing chemotherapy at the time. I may have pulled the balancer and collar as one piece with my large puller. I'm sorry my memory isn't crystal clear on it.

Once you have the collar off, it would be a good time to replace the front crank seal. There is a kit for this that allows the replacement seal to ride on "new" steel.

Good luck

Jayare
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
I once had the main centre come lose on my 300E-24. It damaged the woodruff key and the pulley was very hard to remove. Since the pulley I was taking off was to be junked anyway I bought the biggest bolt & nut I could buy in my local auto store.

Then I used some stout steel channel to weld it to the old pulley. It took a lot of force but the makeshift puller took the pulley off. A custom woodruff key was made by a machine shop to take up the slack and a new pulley fitted.

Use a piece of angle iron set into where the starter motor opening is and lock the flywheel for removing / tightening that bolt. Make sure to fully torque the centre bolt back to spec when re-fitting. Use new spring washers & centre bolt.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Update: I was able to find a shorter 3-arm pulley at HF that did the job! It's a small puller, so I threaded the arms through the "windows" on the interior of the balancer and sort of had to assemble it on the end of the crank. I also threaded the 27mm nut back in (without the conical spacer) to push against.

Unfortunately, I neglected to notice that the outer ring of the balancer interferes with the large metal pulley to the upper left until I had quite a bit of force on the puller. I had to release the puller and thread the balancer bolt back in a ways before I was able to free the pulley and unbolt it from its shaft. I'm afraid that I probably bent it and/or damaged the bearings, but I won't know for sure until I get it back together. Ugh.

Edit: That would be the fan pulley that I may have damaged. Blah.

JJ
Tulsa, OK
'95 e320 wagon
'82 300CD
'79 VW Westfalia

Last edited by DeluxeOKC; 11-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in