post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '92 W124 230E Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Strange Central Locking Behaviour

I've been having an ongoing problem with the central locking ... sometimes it would lock from the driver's door, sometimes not. Quite by accident I've now established the following:

1. If I deadlock the boot while the drivers door is adjar, everything will lock except the drivers door (obviously a safety aspect);
2. If I then close and lock/unlock the drivers door, all doors and the fuel flap will lock, every time.
3. If I leave the drivers door adjar and lock/unlock the boot all doors except the drivers door will lock (as above).

The point is, if the drivers door is left adjar and closed after the boot is dead-locked (turned to the 3 o'clock position) the central locking works fine. However, if I simply lock the boot and then lock/unlock the closed drivers door the central locking may work, it may also leave all the doors, fuel flap and bootlid open and leave me with a situation where only the drivers door locks/unlocks.

Any ideas? It can't be the micro-switches as they obviously seem to work. I was thinking it may be the pump's on-board PC board, the pump is not running long enough every time to lock all doors? Oh, there's never been an issue unlocking all the LOCKED doors, but there is a problem locking all the UNLOCKED doors.

1992 W124 230E Auto, M102.982, 212,750 km / 132,968 miles, MBSA-built - CURRENT.
1985 W123 280E Auto, M110.988, 110,265km / 68,915 miles, MBSA-built - SOLD.
1985 W123 230E Manual, M102.982, 219,320 km / 137,075 miles, MBSA-built - SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The pump died on my wife's car recently, I carefully took it apart and found...

in that last picture, those two leaf switches next to the little disks, I believe those act as vacuum pressure switches, and tell the box to stop pumping once the pressure is fully up or down.
Jacques405 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
. . . . .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '92 W124 230E Auto
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastGeek View Post
The pump died on my wife's car recently, I carefully took it apart and found...

in that last picture, those two leaf switches next to the little disks, I believe those act as vacuum pressure switches, and tell the box to stop pumping once the pressure is fully up or down.
The pics are excellent, thank you (I previously took my cover off, my circuit looks okay ... maybe I should go in for another look)!

Looking at your first pic it's obvious your resistors overheated, the question is why? If one looks to the right and slightly down it seems two of the three pins have lost their connection with the board (solder gone), this seems to be part of the magnetic coil switch. Did you have a leak, was the pump running longer than necessary, i.e. not switching off after a specific time, possibly leading to the overheating of the resistors? It seems the thick two-pin inputs provide the power, while the smaller three-pin (FTS, KDS, TS) provide the inputs from the micro-switches, these in turn then trigger the magnetic coil switches.

I'm no electrical engineer, maybe someone with an electronics background could shed more light on the circuit diagram and current flow.

1992 W124 230E Auto, M102.982, 212,750 km / 132,968 miles, MBSA-built - CURRENT.
1985 W123 280E Auto, M110.988, 110,265km / 68,915 miles, MBSA-built - SOLD.
1985 W123 230E Manual, M102.982, 219,320 km / 137,075 miles, MBSA-built - SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK_W123_230E View Post
The pics are excellent, thank you (I previously took my cover off, my circuit looks okay ... maybe I should go in for another look)!

Looking at your first pic it's obvious your resistors overheated, the question is why? If one looks to the right and slightly down it seems two of the three pins have lost their connection with the board (solder gone), this seems to be part of the magnetic coil switch. Did you have a leak, was the pump running longer than necessary, i.e. not switching off after a specific time, possibly leading to the overheating of the resistors? It seems the thick two-pin inputs provide the power, while the smaller three-pin (FTS, KDS, TS) provide the inputs from the micro-switches, these in turn then trigger the magnetic coil switches.

I'm no electrical engineer, maybe someone with an electronics background could shed more light on the circuit diagram and current flow.
I'm a bit of an electro-nerd, but I saw that charred PCB, and decided to get a remanufactured unit.

as far as run to long or what, I have no idea, its my wife's car and I only find out stuff is broken when I drive it, unless she remembers to tell me at 1am or something (which of course, I never remember the next day, oops, its all MY fault, hahahahah, ok, we've been married nearly 35 years now).

. . . . .
. . . . .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I promise it's YOUR fault.... from a guy who's working on 41 yrs of marriage.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayare View Post
I promise it's YOUR fault.... from a guy who's working on 41 yrs of marriage.
^This X infinity. Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti fat bastard cream there is not.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 93 300D
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
^This X infinity. Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti fat bastard cream there is not.

OUCH!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in