LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I should have clarified better...I do on one side but the other would too in a 1000 miles because the pad was down to 1mm left of actual pad.

Brake hoses are new I posted earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
BOTH sides are worn to the metal. This isn't just one side.

I've read the odds of two bad calipers at the exact same time are slim to none.
The symptoms indicates that the problem is not with the calipers; it points to something related to fluid flow restriction between the caliper and the brake master cylinder.

Note: This is the same exact experience I had. In my case there was a faulty check valve between the master cylinder and the rear brake calipers. The purpose of this check valve is to regulate the rear brake pressure so that during sudden brake application the rear of the car won't slide or swing to the front. I'm not sure if MB's use something like this.

Check your brake lines for restrictions between the Master cylinder to the rear calipers.

Last edited by edcarls; 08-12-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I did some searching online and it kept coming up with proportioning valve, but I can't find anything like that for MB. Is it integrated in the master cylinder for us maybe?

Just ordered a new set of Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads so I can at least get it on the road again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Quote:
I should have clarified better...I do on one side but the other would too in a 1000 miles because the pad was down to 1mm left of actual pad.

Brake hoses are new I posted earlier.
Right, I read too quickly, as usual.

Well, if the new set wears quickly, I'd consider trying to flush that one caliper. Perhaps there is some stuff inside from the old hoses?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I'm about close to the 2 year mark at this point anyway so when I get the new pads I'll bleed everything for good measure.
luckymike likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '99 S420 111K
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LogicalPosition
Double Down On The Dollahs To Donuts

Get the back end of the vehicle in the air.
Have an assistant apply the brakes as you observe how the rear brake calipers react by turning the rear wheels by hand, pedal on, pedal off. I'll bet the wheel locks immediately when the brake is applied, AND the wheel still doesn't turn when the brake pedal is released. After say two seconds, the wheel slowly begins to turn.
I say the calipers are not releasing in a timely manor.
This would indicate a fluid restriction, given the pressure of the brake pedal can easily overcome a restriction, whereas a restriction is NOT easily overcome when the brake pedal is released.
Inspect the entire metal brake line, front to rear for kinks and pinched line, especially the most rearward lines. Did someone drive the vehicle over a curb or drive off road in the last 24K miles?
If you see nothing amiss on the lines, we now focus on the calipers. Remove the wheels, repeat the above test.
Observe the movement of the pads. Look for torn or missing rubber boots on the caliper pistons, and rust buildup on the pad assemblies where the pins attach to the pads.
Remove the pads and carefully apply the brakes just enough to expose a portion of the pistons to look for rust on the piston sides.
Lastly, pads in place, wheels off, apply the brakes. Instead of releasing the brake pedal, crack a brake hose at the caliper(or open a bleeder valve), and see if the immediate release of brake fluid at that point immediately releases the pistons.

I'm confident you have a restriction in a brake line, not bad calipers, and I'm betting it's the hoses, despite the fact you changed them @140 K. Interior rust on those hoses WILL clog and restrict brake fluid.
As Jayare pointed out, the metal lines won't rust shut, they would rust thru causing a leak, but I assure you the hoses DO rust and cause these issues. Can they rust shut in only a short time frame? Sure, if they are not MB original or high quality(stainless) products.
One of the problems with brake fluid is that it is hydroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture, and that can and will rust the interior of brake lines.

Another thing to consider. If there is air in the caliper, it can heat up under heavy braking(or pads dragging on the rotors), causing the caliper to apply the brakes slightly, even when the pedal isn't applied. I doubt this is the case, it takes a lot of heat to produce these symptoms, and you'd probably smell the burning, but it's a possibility.

A malfunctioning check valve, or proportioning valve would give these symptoms as well. I personally have not seen this occur, but I would consider that a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You are what you drive!" Big Al

There is perception, and then there is reality.

'99 W140 S420 111K, '94 W124 E320 124K (sold! Repurchased 10/3/16, sold 11/17)
'14 BMW X3 XDrive 38K,
'13 BMW X1 28K (Traded). '11 BMW 328i XDrive 19K(Traded)
'08 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon 56k (Traded)
'83 BMW 320is "Sport" (48k, sold! converted to EV!)
'87 190E W201 (sold!) '85 Audi 5000 (sold!)
'76 250 W114 (sold!) '72 280 W114 (sold!)
'67 200D W110 (bartered) '62 220 W111 (buried)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
...with proportioning valve, but I can't find anything like that for MB. Is it integrated in the master cylinder for us maybe?..
My thoughts exactly. Since, front and rear brake lines are coming out separately from the master cylinder it make sense that the "proportioning" function is done at the master cylinder. Thus, MB eliminated the valve.

If the line from the brake master cylinder to the rear calipers are clear, and the problem still persist, a brake master cylinder repair kit my solve your sticky rear brake problem.

Last edited by edcarls; 08-12-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: to add, "and the problem still persist," for clarity.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Great info above thanks. I'll check that after I install the new rotors and pads Saturday and report back.

Last edited by ps2cho; 08-12-2015 at 11:06 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '99 S420 111K
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LogicalPosition
NO!

Quote:
Ok so to clarify...you think my best course of action would be to bleed the brakes and if nothing odd shows up replace the master cylinder?

Or is there a better way to check for restrictions?
Do the bleed, don't replace the MC at this point.

While bleeding pay attention to how much fluid comes out of each caliper. If you notice very little from the rears compared to a lot from the fronts, bingo, there is your restriction.
Then pull those hoses, and see how much fluid comes out of the metal lines. I'm not giving up on hoses till you PROVE they are clear.

With all the hoses removed, fluid should gush out of those brake lines when you hit the pedal. Have your assistant keep the fluid topped off.

If your dual piston master cylinder is faulty, it COULD be sending the majority of the braking force to the rear pads. What kind of wear did you notice on the front pads over the same time period? I would think you would see substantial wear on the fronts after 24K miles.
How does the pedal feel? Does the back end want to come around under braking on slippery surfaces?

Have you researched MC failures on the forum?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Remember that the master cylinder has two separate pistons in it not one. So when you push the pedal down, both pistons move forward. They should both return on their own but one can stick causing the pads related to the sticking piston to apply friction to the rotors when it shouldn't. When this happens it's usually the forward piston - the one that supplies the rears with fluid. Its rare that hoses will cause your problem because they would both have to suffer the same fate - highly unlikely they would both fail after you just changed them but I guess anything is possible. A master cylinder problem would affect both rears at the same time. Just food for thought.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in