Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '99 S420 113K
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to LogicalPosition
W201 vs W124

I'm no "expert" but I had it pegged as a W201 because of it's narrow body. The chrome spinners says a lot about the overall condition of the vehicle, $1000 vehicle, IMHO.

I noticed the brake lights were all out of whack. The backup light on the driver's side lit when the brakes were applied, as well as the 3rd brake light was inoperative. I couldn't get a clear bead on the passenger tail lights from the video.

If you listen carefully to the dialog between the officer and driver, he had NO INSURANCE, LIED about the ownership, 1st it was "his car", then "he was gonna buy it", no registration, and he excused this tentative "purchase" as the reason for the poor condition of the brake lighting, lack of insurance and registration. In other words it was either a borrowed car, or he stole it. IMO, at that point, the officer should have cuffed him(for EVERYONE'S safety), but instead cut the perp some slack while the ran the plate and license. This type of complicated traffic stop is routine when working such a neighborhood.

As to the overall incident, in my mind, you obey the requests of law enforcement at all times. You do not RUN from them, nor do you struggle over weapons with them. This person knew he was behind in Child Support, and that he had skipped a hearing or two regarding this matter, hence he had warrants. Why in the world would he run, knowing all of this? Well, the car wasn't registered to him. I suppose he thought if he could get away, they wouldn't find him thru the vehicle? Yea, he would have been arrested if he had complied, but he'd be alive. As to the officer checking the warrant, I don't know how much the officer knew about the warrant, or if he even knew there was a warrant, maybe the full report will divulge that info. Once the man bolted from the scene, that is a telling sign something is amiss(watch a few episodes of 'COPS'). Yes, there was another person in the vehicle, and everyone is skipping that very important factor in this incident for some strange reason.

My Scott's "record" as a human being is spotty. For instance he was discharged from the Coast Guard for drug offenses after 2 years served, with a "general under honorable conditions" discharge. The 70's song by Sly and the Family Stone, "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" comes to mind with his family matters. I don't want to put the man on trial, but he obviously had made more than a few mistakes to get to this point in his life.

I'm certain that those who view this incident as poh-lice gone wild can say "this could have been me, or someone I know!" Study the data on crime by race, especially in the South, there you will find out WHY so many of a certain race are stopped, arrested, and incarcerated. They commit a lot of crimes. When this all shakes out, I suspect the FACTS will bear out that the officer was doing things by the book, but will probably face manslaughter charges for the shooting. In other words, he COULD have handled it better, but got caught up in the moment, the complicated traffic stop, the warrant, the chase, the ineffective taser strike, the struggle, the second running of the perp. That officer fired those shots according to training procedure, stance, aim, multiple shots till the perp is immobilized. I hate to see this, who doesn't, but Mr Scott committed suicide by cop, and yes this happens whenever persons break the stringent laws of our country, and then tries to evade capture. Color is irrelevant, we're all "equal under the law". You don't get a pass because you are poor, stupid, uneducated, drunk/high, minority, etc.

I do believe a tox screen of Mr Scott should be performed, and the results made public. A taser should have been enough to immobilize him. At the moment, the media is throwing out headlines, officials are desperately trying to defuse the situation, some citizens are jumping to wild conclusions and accusations, and there are tens of facts that are being withheld or ignored in this incident.
Tricd04 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You are what you drive!" Big Al

There is perception, and then there is reality.

'99 W140 S420 113K, '94 W124 E320 124K (sold! Repurchased 10/3/16, sold 11/17)
'14 BMW X3 XDrive 40K,
'13 BMW X1 28K (Traded). '11 BMW 328i XDrive 19K(Traded)
'08 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon 56k (Traded)
'83 BMW 320is "Sport" (48k, sold! converted to EV!)
'87 190E W201 (sold!) '85 Audi 5000 (sold!)
'76 250 W114 (sold!) '72 280 W114 (sold!)
'67 200D W110 (bartered) '62 220 W111 (buried)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1987 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Looks to be an early facelift car as when he opens the door you can see the wood trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Horseman View Post
You beret wearing Mercedes driving gay metric wrench turners will be singing a different show tune if the Electric Horseman ever catches you.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:29 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This all belongs in the off topic section gentleman.
PWogaman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Those were not the back-up lights; it just looked that way because of the poor dash-cam white balance.

I'm absolutely shocked at the unjustified rationalizations for this summary execution.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:02 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: AMG C63
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalPosition View Post
I'm no "expert" but ...

If you listen carefully to the dialog between the officer and driver, he had NO INSURANCE, LIED about the ownership, 1st it was "his car", then "he was gonna buy it", no registration, and he excused this tentative "purchase" as the reason for the poor condition of the brake lighting, lack of insurance and registration. In other words it was either a borrowed car, or he stole it. IMO, at that point, the officer should have cuffed him(for EVERYONE'S safety), but instead cut the perp some slack while the ran the plate and license. This type of complicated traffic stop is routine when working such a neighborhood.

My Scott's "record" as a human being is spotty. For instance he was discharged from the Coast Guard for drug offenses after 2 years served, with a "general under honorable conditions" discharge. The 70's song by Sly and the Family Stone, "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" comes to mind with his family matters. I don't want to put the man on trial, but he obviously had made more than a few mistakes to get to this point in his life.

I'm certain that those who view this incident as poh-lice gone wild can say "this could have been me, or someone I know!" Study the data on crime by race, especially in the South, there you will find out WHY so many of a certain race are stopped, arrested, and incarcerated. They commit a lot of crimes. When this all shakes out, I suspect the FACTS will bear out that the officer was doing things by the book, but will probably face manslaughter charges for the shooting. In other words, he COULD have handled it better, but got caught up in the moment, the complicated traffic stop, the warrant, the chase, the ineffective taser strike, the struggle, the second running of the perp. That officer fired those shots according to training procedure, stance, aim, multiple shots till the perp is immobilized. I hate to see this, who doesn't, but Mr Scott committed suicide by cop, and yes this happens whenever persons break the stringent laws of our country, and then tries to evade capture. Color is irrelevant, we're all "equal under the law". You don't get a pass because you are poor, stupid, uneducated, drunk/high, minority, etc.

I do believe a tox screen of Mr Scott should be performed, and the results made public. A taser should have been enough to immobilize him. At the moment, the media is throwing out headlines, officials are desperately trying to defuse the situation, some citizens are jumping to wild conclusions and accusations, and there are tens of facts that are being withheld or ignored in this incident.
I agree that the black man deserved summary execution with 3 shots in the back
the cops life was obviously in danger

I think the data is rigged
although a higher per capita % of blacks are pulled over the data indicates whites are more often found with drugs

I also agree this 'spotty' man was subhuman and got what he deserved

are you a cop or a cop wanna be?
PWogaman likes this.

Last edited by Ingenieur; 04-10-2015 at 07:19 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Wagon
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
@LogicalPosition

You are right on all counts except shooting a running man in the back is completely wrong and uncalled for. At that point, he wasn't a threat to anybody and he didn't have a record or a warrant related to any violent crime.
Tricd04 likes this.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: AMG C63
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
sounds like the cop was a bit spotty and subhuman?
Navy Times

Personnel records show that Slager served in the Coast Guard from 2003 to 2009, last serving at Station Cape Canaveral, Florida, as an unrated fireman before his honorable discharge.
His service record is unusual as most enlisted qualify for a rating within a few years of service and move up the petty officer ranks, a retired Coast Guard captain told Navy Times.

The Coast Guard is known for long wait times for "A" school, retired Capt. Jim Howe said, but six years is highly unlikely.

"It's possible he got rated and then through nonjudicial punishment or court-martial was reduced in rate back to E-3, but that is just speculation," he said. The Coast Guard was unable to provide a full record of his dates of rank, awards and duty stations on Thursday.

"Very curious, if you ask me," Howe added.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
are you a cop or a cop wanna be?
God forbid.
Ingenieur likes this.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: '04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
moderators... CLOSE. THIS. THREAD.
Jayare likes this.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 99 BMW R1100RT, 05 MB C230, 07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade 124 View Post
moderators... CLOSE. THIS. THREAD.
Or move to OT.
Jayare likes this.

1999 BMW R1100RT
2005 MB C230K Sport
2010 Chevy Tahoe LT
2007 Chevy Silverado CC Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in