post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best and Safest way to detail engine?

I have now replaced both the coolant and washer reservoir and its looking so much nicer in the bay...I want to go ahead and actually detail the engine bay now and get rid of 25 years of dirt and grime.

What is the safest way do you guys recommend?

Some pics of the new washer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washercoolant.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1262082  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Monsoon Gray Audi Allroad - 26k
2008 Black Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport P1 - 140k
2014 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Sahara - 90k
2003 Silver ML350 - 135k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
The method I use is to go to one of those DIY car wash bays that have high pressure wands/brushes. I bring three cans of Gunk (foamy - not original) and a long handle paint brush. Work the engine degreaser with the brush and use the car wash high pressure soap function to wash off the foamy and grease. Then switch to clear water and power wash all the suds and anything else off the car. I usually spray the bottom of the engine as well with the degreaser and get as much of the transmission as I can. I have yet to encounter a starting problem after doing this procedure but I am sure that if you had a faulty distributor cap/seal, or bad wires you could have some trouble. Once I am finished at the car wash, the drive home usually dries off everything. Once in the driveway you can really detail the heck out of it to access any areas that need more work. I usually try to apply wax to any of the painted surfaces.

I'm sure others will have an opinion on this or their own method to share.
LogicalPosition likes this.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: '94 E220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
Good job ps2cho, I clean my engine bay with Gunk original gunk degreaser, gets all the gunk and soot of the engine bay and keeps a plastic parts brighty and shiny, body parts less shiny.

I start from above to down, clean all the engine bay with degreaser using an old shirts, (you can spray degreaser and then let it soak and then wash with water) but I don't want to have no-start condition, so I avoid using water and instead I use a rag.

Same way from under the car, I jack uo the car, get under it and spray degreaser with an angle so it doesn't drop on my face (although wearing safety glasses) , same producers as upper engine bay.

Cleaning engine bay gives you an impression to work on the engine, in addition, it helps to detect leaks from the system.

@tuttebenne , why do you use the foamy one not the original ?

- Samir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found this site a few days ago, https://mercedessource.com/problems/...ots-and-stains and although it talks about cleaning your interior, I had my eyes set on the spray bottles he uses in the video. I think they are perfect for detailing the engine bay. I haven't found where to buy the exact ones locally or online yet, but I plan to have a two spray bottle setup, one with plain water and the other with 100% strength of the miracle solution the guy keeps talking about in his video. I was kinda pissed off at first because I thought I had to buy the full video from the site to find out what exactly was in his spray bottles, but after reading the rest of the page, I found out what they were. They are Purple Power® Industrial Strength Cleaner/Degreaser and Krudd Kutter. You can find them online at Cut through grease and dirt with Purple Power. and https://www.krudkutter.com/index.php...id=1&Itemid=70 respectively.

I plan to fill one spray bottle with 100% Purple Power, spray it on a greasy engine component, lets say the power steering pump, use a stiff paint brush to sorta scrub the grease and then use the spray bottle with the water to rinse. Its a lot slower than other alternatives, but I plan on doing it this way because my wiring is showing signs it was made with eco-junk wire insulation.

Any info on where I can find the spray bottles would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

@tuttebenne I just found out about Valvoline Tectyl 506 Rust Preventative. Its a waxy substance. Is your wax similar to this?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 99 s320,and 83 300sd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
my diesel,i go to a car wash,and blast engine while its running.My gasser,I use heavy amounts of pinesol,and carefully clean by hand around electrical connections.Then rinse areas with buckets.

1999 s320. and 83 300sd quit driving,people make me nervous
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
I use regular car wax but there probably are better products for under hood conditions. I apply the wax for two reasons; to make it easier to clean, and to give it a "new" look. The old phrase "a clean car is the sign of a sick mind" was muttered by someone who would probably have a heart attack if they saw one of our engine bays. As for why I don't use "original" Gunk, its more a stink issue. The original formula works better but it stinks of kerosene for days. Now if I had a diesel I might welcome that smell

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
I use regular car wax but there probably are better products for under hood conditions. I apply the wax for two reasons; to make it easier to clean, and to give it a "new" look. The old phrase "a clean car is the sign of a sick mind" was muttered by someone who would probably have a heart attack if they saw one of our engine bays. As for why I don't use "original" Gunk, its more a stink issue. The original formula works better but it stinks of kerosene for days. Now if I had a diesel I might welcome that smell
Thanks for the tip! I can't wait until Spring to clean the whole car. Winters suck up here in Canada
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaraid View Post

Any info on where I can find the spray bottles would be appreciated. Thanks!
Here is what I used on my W201.
You can get the spray container from Homedepot.

RL Flo-Master 1 gal. Economy Sprayer-1401P - The Home Depot

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamada128 View Post
Here is what I used on my W201.
You can get the spray container from Homedepot.

RL Flo-Master 1 gal. Economy Sprayer-1401P - The Home Depot

Thanks for the info, Bookmarked! ....I actually like this one better, with the long nozzle I'll be able to get into tighter spaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in