LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: E320, 1994, 1995
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Found this statistics by BMW drivers on their transmissions and the use of ATF. Quite interesting.

Collecting Statistics on BMW auto transmission and Lifetime ATF

What is your BMW auto transmission maintenance experience? Voters 1286.

Followed BMW Lifetime ATF recommendation, did zero maintenance and auto trans. is fine. 616, 47.90%

Followed BMW Lifetime ATF recommendation, did zero maintenance and auto trans. failed. 151, 11.74%

Did an ATF drain/refill w/ BMW specified ATF fluid and auto trans. is fine. 215, 16.72%

Did an ATF drain/refill w/ BMW specified ATF fluid and auto trans. failed. 50, 3.89%

Did an ATF drain/refill w/ non-BMW ATF and auto trans is fine. 238, 18.51%

Did an ATF drain/refill w/ non-BMW ATF and auto trans failed. 16, 1.24%

The most interesting numbers above is that if you do nothing and treat ATF as life time fluid, 151 out of 767 cases (=151+ 616) result in failed transmissions, nearly 20% failure rate. This is a very high failure rate. On the other hand, if you do ATF changes with or without BMW ATF, the failure rate is 13%, a drop of 7%, which is statistically significant.

Finally, if you do ATF changes with BMW fluid, the failure rate is 50 out of 265, nearly 20%, similar to the case of doing nothing. Why? Dealer-maintained vehicles? On the other hand, if you do ATF changes with non-BMW ATF, only 16 out of 254 failed, only 6.4% failure rate.

So much for the BMW fluid, or any maker branded fluid, if similar statistics hold. Based on the above statistics, I assume that the last group, who are daring to trust the spec, not the brand name, are probably more technical savvy and take care of their cars better.

This survey is not perfect because it does not distinguish how often ATF is changed. Still, doing nothing or following BMW to teeth are the worst off groups. Is it true that if one follows MB to the teeth, he or she may not be that much better off as perceived?

jftu105

Last edited by jftu105; 11-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes S430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I don't think that "lifetime" references to the transmission fluid were ever intended to suggest that the transmission would last a "lifetime". The inference that is drawn is that the transmission has a lifetime useful life, much like a part bought at AutoZone that is advertised with a "lifetime warranty".

I believe that the manufacturers are still trying to convince people that all that is required is gas and go. I see a lot of cars coming through the dealer auction where the first thing that the car needs is a good maintenance catch-up.

Going through a transmission, you'll find that other than clutch discs, you can get wear from metal parts if not properly lubricated. All of that clutch debris floating around in the fluid does interfere with the lubricating abilities. Also, the fluid wears out from heat.

I vote to change it, but not by using something that the manufacturer did not specify.

Next someone is going to say that they used Smuckers Strawberry jam in their transmission and it was "a noticeable improvement in shift quality".
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 93 300D
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
Next someone is going to say that they used Smuckers Strawberry jam in their transmission and it was "a noticeable improvement in shift quality".
Now Tony, everybody knows that Smuckers Strawberry jam is synthetic based and contains way too many abrasive fines from the little strawberry seeds.
Any brand of organic grape jelly (not jam...viscosity is too high) would be a much better choice, is almost guaranteed to produce much smoother shifts and is also backwards-compatible.............except into reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 07:33 PM
~BANNED~

Thanks for correcting my error.

Has anyone tried Wal-Mart's Great Value brand grape jelly in their transmission?

I understand that Mercedes has authorized it for use in their 722.9 7-speed units. According to the report that I read, the grape jam interacts well with the molasses-based friction discs.

Its great to know that there is now an organic solution to all of that nasty Dexron.

Maybe Wesson oil for washer fluid?
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Guys,

You're wasting your breath on a cheap @ss who is still trying to justify pulling used brake pads and water pumps from the junkyard.

And should I mention the "resolder OVP" theory he's been advocating as well???

This guy's news stories hold about as much water as the National Enquirer.

Last edited by sbaert; 12-01-2014 at 12:01 AM.
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 93 300D
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
This guy's news stories hold about as much water as the National Enquirer.
Oh, now you've gone and done it...you've insulted the Sheeple's most respected source of truth and guidance.
post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300e 75 300d 74 450sl
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:

Has anyone tried Wal-Mart's Great Value brand grape jelly in their transmission?

I understand that Mercedes has authorized it for use in their 722.9 7-speed units. According to the report that I read, the grape jam interacts well with the molasses-based friction discs.

Its great to know that there is now an organic solution to all of that nasty Dexron.

that is for the 2010 and newwer trans with the blue fluid not the red
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: E320, 1994, 1995
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin560 View Post

Quote by rollin560
that is for the 2010 and newwer trans with the blue fluid not the red
Nice to know the color change for newer MB transmissions. They add dye to get the color and I doubt the chemistry is drastically different.

T-man has been on my ignore list since 1963. I don't get to read his post but finally read it because it was quoted by your post.

I am so impressed with these smarT ass comments of his, which added so much intellectual value to this thread and showed off the sophistication of "elite" MB owners who don't shop at Walmart (Target, I suppose).

jftu105

Last edited by jftu105; 12-02-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM
~BANNED~

I appreciate your comments, thank you. I try to put my MBA in Health Services Administration to good use by adding a bit of information to an otherwise nonsense post.

You might be interested in my degree in accounting too, not sure.

I'm so happy to be on the ignore list of the graduates of The University of Waxed Bar Stool that come to this forum and think they have outsmarted MB by using a modern fluid in an old gearbox.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1993 400E
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think that "lifetime" references to the transmission fluid were ever intended to suggest that the transmission would last a "lifetime". The inference that is drawn is that the transmission has a lifetime useful life, much like a part bought at AutoZone that is advertised with a "lifetime warranty".

".
No such thing as "Lifetime" fluid, that was MBUSA marketing BS

The rest of the world has a 40K service interval on ATF service.

Quote:
I appreciate your comments, thank you. I try to put my MBA in Health Services Administration to good use by adding a bit of information to an otherwise nonsense post.

You might be interested in my degree in accounting too, not sure.

I'm so happy to be on the ignore list of the graduates of The University of Waxed Bar Stool that come to this forum and think they have outsmarted MB by using a modern fluid in an old gearbox.
This guy is a moron Tony, your wasting your breath on his stupidity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in