BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 1989 300TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
300TE Enters the Twilight Zone

Got the car into the mechanic, they've had it for a couple days now. The mechanic is even personally driving it home to see if it acts up.

Nothing.

They can't find a dang thing wrong with it. They checked wires, distributor, voltage regulator, etc etc. Runs perfect.

They did suggest a tie rod end and a belt tensioner shock, but that's all that they could find.

What in the world is going on? I just know once I drive it home it will act up on me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: '94 E220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
what do you mean by act up ? what symptoms ?
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Have the older thread that has my whole laundry list. This was copied from it:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...roblems-2.html

Symptoms:
* When cold, it will start and die immediately after starting. After third try, it stayed running (barely).
* Idles at about 300-500 rpm.
* Has no power, literally. No matter how much you press the gas, normal, a little, floored, it doesn't matter. It literally goes idle speed and after it hits about 5MPH it jerks back and forth and then has a burst of speed and finally get reach the speed limit. Once you stop at a light, you start all over.
* When its having its issue, the economy gauge swings all the way to the red end. When pressing and holding the gas at about 1k-2k RPM, the gauge will start going to about halfway or 3/4 to the non-red end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmsteel View Post
Have the older thread that has my whole laundry list. This was copied from it:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...roblems-2.html

Symptoms:
* When cold, it will start and die immediately after starting. After third try, it stayed running (barely).
* Idles at about 300-500 rpm.
* Has no power, literally. No matter how much you press the gas, normal, a little, floored, it doesn't matter. It literally goes idle speed and after it hits about 5MPH it jerks back and forth and then has a burst of speed and finally get reach the speed limit. Once you stop at a light, you start all over.
* When its having its issue, the economy gauge swings all the way to the red end. When pressing and holding the gas at about 1k-2k RPM, the gauge will start going to about halfway or 3/4 to the non-red end.
On something like this, I'd be starting with the basics. Check the battery voltage, overvoltage protection relay, distributor cap/rotor, plugs/wires, throttle linkage, etc.

I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge and duty cycle meter to watch the numbers as the car starts cold and goes into closed loop.

Really strange that the shop couldn't find anything given the strong symptoms.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
On something like this, I'd be starting with the basics. Check the battery voltage, overvoltage protection relay, distributor cap/rotor, plugs/wires, throttle linkage, etc.

I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge and duty cycle meter to watch the numbers as the car starts cold and goes into closed loop.

Really strange that the shop couldn't find anything given the strong symptoms.
They are keeping it one more day as well as fixing the belt tensioner they mentioned. They said they checked the Distributor Cap and said it was slightly corroded but he cleaned it up and looks good.

But yeah, they have had it for 3-4 days now and haven't seen a running issue.

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1990 s124 300TE-24, 1990 W126 300SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Seems like a long shot but sounds like a fuel issue? Is the small strainer in the tank clogged up? Is the tank dirty?

I once had a car (not a Benz) that behaved in the same way and finally zeroed in on the culprit. Bad fuel. I had fueled up at a rather isolated and old gas station which was not my usual station after days of intermittent rain and at the end of the week when the station's tank was low and I had pumped up a combination of good fuel mixed with crud and water into my car's tank. The fuel was saturated with water and gunk. I was lucky as my fuel filter was in the engine bay and was one of those types with a screw on the bottom. On a hunch my mechanic unscrewed the bottom and the filter was almost full with water.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmsteel View Post
This could indicate a massive vacuum leak.

Have yourself, or your mechanic replace all 3 idle air vacuum hoses that attach to the idle control valve. The rubber cracks on the underside out of sight and you won't have any clue. Only replace with Genuine MB. The aftermarket ones are trash and you will be doing it again in a years time. Even worse, they will split entirely and you won't be able to start the car.

2016 Monsoon Gray Audi Allroad - 26k
2008 Black Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport P1 - 140k
2014 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Sahara - 90k
2003 Silver ML350 - 135k

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
My '89 300e had a problem similar to that but not as bad. Once it warmed up, it would go into that dead throttle condition. It would not accelerate except if I nailed the throttle. Punching the throttle to the floor overcame it and it would drive nicely once it got past this condition. In my case the car started fine and idled fine as well until the issue revealed itself. Once the car was warm; the first time I tried to accelerate from a stop, it would have a dead throttle pedal. I have done a lot to the car trying to resolve the problem and by sheer coincidence I had to change out the ETA due to the dreaded seeping, and the problem hasn't happened since. So the advice from others to zero in on fuel pressure first seems like good starting point.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@iparker - Likely, supposedly previous owner would leave it sit at his farm for weeks without even going near it. When he did go near it and have to drive it, he filled up with regular (don't know how much that matters). Coincidentally, before taking it to the mechanic, I added fresh chevron premium to the tank.

@tuttebenne - Is that the same as an EHA Valve? I can't find a ETA on autohaus.

@ps2cho - I assume these hoses are easily accessible so I could do it myself?

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
autohausaz is not a mercedes parts dealer, and its a lousy source of information.

look up the parts on EPC, order them by part number from a dealer or parts.com or benzpartswholesale.com or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in