LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1995 E300 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: oil- I've used rotella in every diesel I've ever owned, with pretty good results. Filters have been either K&N or factory. I had the interval on this motor at 4K, but can drop it no problem. It saw mostly highway miles, between PHX and LAX, or commuting between atlanta and north georgia, so they rack up fast.

I'll grab a can of Restore, and throw it in there. My current plan is to pull the IP out today, and wait on my replacement. I'll throw the new one in, fine-tune the timing, and just run the bastard for 1-2 months with the SDA, aggressive fluid changes, and then re-assess with compression and check valve cleanliness.

I know from past diesels that compression improves when warm, I had a powerstroke at one point that would start on about 6 cylinders, then limp along for 15 minutes, then run great all day as long as it was warm. Ran it like that for 10K miles until I replaced the whole engine. Not the greatest solution, I know, but it worked at the time.

It has been suggested to me to perform a "wet test" on compression to check and see if the leakage is ring or valve related. In the powerstroke world, that is a serious no-no, and a good way to bend a rod.

Any opinions on those? A local shop can rebuild this head for about $650ish, but don't want to pull it unless necessary, and unsure as to how to determine valve condition, as I don't own a leak-down tester.

'95 E300D - 230K - My DD. Love her.
99 Powerstroke - 7.3's never die
04 BMW R1150R
02 Ducati ST-4
07 Ducati S2R1000
92 Stihl 090
07 Portuguese Water Dog for bird-fetching and nav...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
A "wet test" is a bad idea on a diesel if you've ever seen how close the piston gets to the head.

Avoid pulling the head for now, and try the RESTORE first along with the new pump.

Shell Rotella-T is fine. Just no "Sam's choice" on automotive stuff, that's all.
post #193 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1995 E300 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SOLVED!!!

Well. Its alive!

Swapped in new pump today, which was in much better shape than last pump.

Didn't mess with any DV seals, just cleaned the $%^t out of it with brake cleaner copper brush, and installed.

fired right up, no smoke, purred like a kitten. To be honest, its never run this well as long as I've owned it.

Fillup with Diesel and SDA, and took for the ol Italian tuneup on the highway, and MAN - night and day from before Oxy/Cat removed. Still need to I think adjust the linkage, and a few other small tweaks, but damn, I have a mile-wide grin on.

to everyone, @sbaert especially, THANK YOU for your help. this forum is fantastic, and I hope this can help someone else.

for the record, swapping and IP isn't hard, just tedious. I had the old one out and the car back running in 3 hours today.

And if anyone needs to borrow the tools, just shout.

'95 E300D - 230K - My DD. Love her.
99 Powerstroke - 7.3's never die
04 BMW R1150R
02 Ducati ST-4
07 Ducati S2R1000
92 Stihl 090
07 Portuguese Water Dog for bird-fetching and nav...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in