post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy SRS light constantly on

This week I finally installed the Euro headlights wipers.

After a few weeks of mechanics working on the thing, a friend of mine told me there is a small diode that might be bad and make a short. After spending a lot of money for the mechanics who told me that the wiper motor is the wrong type, I took the motor, replaced the diode, installed everything back and now it works...

But I am far from complete happiness. After standing at the mechanic's my 300E has an SRS problem. After I turn the key - SRS light comes on and stays. The mechanic tells me of course that they didn't touch anything related to SRS and that it "just happened" because the car was standing in cold (?!WTF!?)

I tried to read the codes from PIN #6, but the light is constantly on after just plugging the tool into PIN 6. I cannot read any codes.

I've used the search function, I really had, but nothing quite describes my situation. The light doesn't ever go off after turning the key, but when I turn the ignition comletely off it doesn't light.

Help me Guys. I hope they didn't burn the SRS module, while playing with the electrical system

W124 E36 AMG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mostly only a connector that became loose

Cześć Max,

check the connectors under the front seats. I doubt it's got to do anything with the recent work on the headlight-wipers.
However I also reccomend that you check the red connector for the airbag in the steering wheel. It's possible the guy fiddled around somewhere near this connector (it is situated in the plastic housing for the steering column), as he might have taken the drivers side footwell padding off.

I still have some SRS black boxes for dual airbags to send to you if it's really something major.

Cheers,
Marian
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for tips

I'll check the connectors under the seats first thing. I don't think they did anything to the area around steering wheel. They were testing the wipers and constantly burning the 8A fuse, so they put a beefier one in. When I picked up the car it had a 25A fuse.

What I am concerned about is that I cannot even pull the codes out of it. Last time I had squib error codes, but I managed to delete them all.

Anyway, thanks for input.

I'll write how I solved this problem. (when/if I do...)

BTW

I'm impressed with the Polish signs in Your post Marian

W124 E36 AMG
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Max,

The SRS light stay on for the longest time with my coupe. The cure in my case was to remove the steering wheel and clean all the contact rings. Hasn't come back on since.

Good Luck,

Jayare
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
I spotted some paw-prints in the engine bay and I wonder... The car stayed outdoors at the mechanic's. Is it possible that some sort of wiring is accesable through the engine bay and it could be damaged by an animal?

I try everything and the light is still on. Once the key is turned, it doesn't go off. I don't know if it makes any difference but the SRS light is constantly on - however it flickers very fast. Like if it was blinking with such a speed that the light never really goes out. I can see that it doesn't just glow steadily.

And this constant voltage on PIN 6... I cannot figure it out.

W124 E36 AMG
/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Again, I'd try pulling the steering wheel and cleaning all the contact rings. I put a thin coat of di-electric grease on mine afterwards and the SRS light has not come back on since. It's been about a year now.

Jayare
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Jim, I managed to get the wheel off today. I cleaned all the contact rings and brushes to shine. No effect. The SRS light is still on all the time and I cannot read any codes out of PIN 6 (SRS).

I noticed the outer contact rings are quite "trailed" when the brushes come. However I suspect that if brushes were the problem - the light would go out at least sometimes.

I made sure all the connectors under the seats are connected properly.

Still nothing works

W124 E36 AMG
/
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
When I first bought my 300D, the SRS light would come on intermittently, especially during turns. When I pulled the stock wheel to swap in a C36 version, I found lots of carbon powder built up in the channels. Once I swapped the wheels, this issue cleared up...until then went to swap in leather seats. Now the light is always on with the key, and all my attempts to remedy have failed. As usual, I always snip the line that goes into the seatbelt receptacle, which has never caused a problem before. I've even tried bridging the connectors to fool the computer, but to no avail. At this point I'm stumped.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Is it possible that the SRS module is culpable of this? If it was bad, would there be a constant short on the diagnostic pin?

W124 E36 AMG
/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1992 400E
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MaxMatt did you ever solve this problem? I am having the exact same problem with my -92 400E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in