Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What did you do with/to your 124 today?

618K views 4K replies 570 participants last post by  tjts1 
#1 ·
Since we got the W123 thread, I figured I'd make a W124 One. :)

Anyways, I'll start first. I washed it after my W123, took it out for a ride to test the Turbo on route one, I raced an Eclipse (NOT A Fair race, that's the kids fault for challenging me!), Did a 0-60 Test 6 Seconds, Tested top Speed did over 149 MPH (The car is SICK now with the turbo!), It's got 360 HP. :cool:

#2,656 · (Edited)
Radiator Test!

92 400E after installing a new BEHR Radiator and upper/lower hoses I drove the 400 from Wrightwood,CA @72 deg F to Brawly, CA 115 deg F......
6000' above sea level down to 300' below sea level. 182 miles and worked great with A/C on all the way! temp stayed lower middle 80c most times with a climb to just above middle 95c in uphill pulls.

Attachments

#2,665 ·
I removed the Hella decorative reflection thingy on the back of my sweety! My mom even helped because she was bored lol :D

I think I took a risk as there might have been rust under it after so many years but I thought it would be better to find out sooner then later.

Old situation:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior

Removing and cleaning:
Vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Car Vehicle door

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Technology Hand

Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Vehicle registration plate Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz w124 Snapshot

And finished:
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior Luxury vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2,667 · (Edited)
Thanks Steve! I am also very happy I removed it, it looks better and yeah I think I dodged the rust bullet there ;)

I actually had a 1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2.3t which I loved and still regret selling because my now ex girlfriend "couldn't drive it" as it was too big for her :p

NEVER let a car you love go for a girl/woman is my advice.

#2,673 ·
I've been had!

So yesterday I checked the brand new spare tire I fit last month, and it was flat. I dropped by the tire shop near my house to see what that was all about: it turned out that the rim is cracked :mad:. But I have only myself to blame for that, because in all my anxiousness to get a fifth wheel to complete the set, I somehow managed to neglect checking it for damage before I bought it.

Now I'm in the middle of a dilemma: swallow my anger and just have it repaired at the usual shop in Jeddah tomorrow morning and be done with it, or use one of my 16" AMG knockoffs for a spare and haul the cracked wheel all the way back to Amman with me and try and get my money back. :mad:

#2,675 ·
So yesterday I checked the brand new spare tire I fit last month, and it was flat. I dropped by the tire shop near my house to see what that was all about: it turned out that the rim is cracked :mad:. But I have only myself to blame for that, because in all my anxiousness to get a fifth wheel to complete the set, I somehow managed to neglect checking it for damage before I bought it.

Now I'm in the middle of a dilemma: swallow my anger and just have it repaired at the usual shop in Jeddah tomorrow morning and be done with it, or use one of my 16" AMG knockoffs for a spare and haul the cracked wheel all the way back to Amman with me and try and get my money back. :mad:
I would just have it repaired. Any used parts I sell or buy are as is. If the seller of the wheel knew that it was damaged and sold it as a good part then that is a different story however proving that is impossible.

#2,674 · (Edited)
Mounted a Gopro to the hood and hit the highway

First time using a Gopro just got it last night so I mounted it with the suction cup and hit the highway
I still really need to learn how to edit but the camera angle works
Out with my 1988 300CE about 160kmp 10pm last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2X6p9UPzU

#2,676 ·
Driving In The Right Hand Lane

First time using a Gopro just got it last night so I mounted it with the suction cup and hit the highway
I still really need to learn how to edit but the camera angle works
Out with my 1988 300CE about 160kmp 10pm last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2X6p9UPzU
I noticed you are in Canada. Does everyone drive(and pass!?!) in the right hand lane? :ban: And I noticed you seemed to cross the white stripe marking the shoulder a few times. You had me reaching for the hand holds, the brake pedal, and dashboard while watching your video. :eek: I couldn't determine if you reached 160KPH in the video, but you mentioned the Gopro was good up to that speed.

Good job, Scott! :goojob:
I enjoyed your video, but I must say, I personally never stray from lanes here in America because there is too much debris on the shoulders, yea, Philly, Houston, and other major cities, you know what I'm talkin about! Secondly, I never even drive in the right lane(s):nono:, because I'm in a Mercedes, and they are designed to be driven ONLY in the fastest lanes. I don't think I've ever seen a MB in the right lane. Nothing passes me, and I'm not distracted by people in those other crappy brands trying to annoy me. :devil

Now, redo the video, grab the left lane and throttle it! :thumbsup:

#2,678 ·
Best Of Show

I visit several local car shows when I can, weather permitting. I get to see some very cool vehicles.
Today I stumbled upon a somewhat unusual find.
I hope you guys don't mind my sharing, Off Topic for MB, there was only one MB there, but you car ppl can still appreciate this. :wave:

Car Trivia Alert! :nerd
What is it?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Studebaker golden hawk

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

And the Best Of Show! My 94 E320!
Ha, ha, ha. It's BOS because I get to drive it home! :grin

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz

Reactions: Rupununipete
#2,680 ·
Yep Studebaker Silver Hawk (circa 1957).
I tweren't even born back then and we didn't have none of ém in Awwwwstralia neither. So it don't matter Mr Sbaertie ifn ya know what it is - don't mean you owned one.

Or did you....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :devil

Reactions: LogicalPosition
#2,685 ·
1. To my horror, after having lost one of my two keys in Amman last month, our driver, who just got back from his vacation in Indonesia last week, told me that he had lost his copy too! So between the two of us, we had only one key left. Last week I went to a shop near my place to make a copy. The guy had two types: the "regular" (i.e. rectangular) version for 50 riyals, or the nicer, chunkier, more modern-looking one for 70. I said what the heck and took the latter. Then this morning I went out and got yet another copy from the same shop:

2. Thinking there would be money to be saved, I had one of the tire shops near my house unmount the spare tire and put it on one of my old AMG wheels, instead of paying 300-400 riyals to have the cracked rim repaired. Out of sheer curiosity, I took the rim to the repair shop anyway, and the dude quoted me a surprisingly much more reasonable 120 riyals, so I asked him to go ahead. I'll pick it up in the morning and put the tire back on.

3. Sifting through the storage shed for some unneeded wheels and tires that I thought I should put up for sale, I stumbled across the packaging of my Sony head unit and suddenly remembered that the remote control was still in there. One new CR2025 battery later and we're all nice and hands-free! :) (Which hardly matters anyway, since the head unit is well within easy reach for me anyway, but hey...)

#2,687 · (Edited)
A pull apart day

I went hiking in the local pull a part and got 3 eha valves , a front splash shield , and a new looking fuel accumulator , and a fuel pump relay , I also found the rear end yoke I might need for my 91 300e after seeing I had lost 1 of the three bolts holding the rear disk to it , it had separated or split the bolt itself , just the nut end was gone . So I think it may have screwed up the press fit of the disk to the 3rd member , I had to put one on my 300ce . I'm getting it before it is gone ! The yoke was $10 the last time , it had a fair looking MB disk in it , I would not re- use the old disk though .

#2,689 ·
Picked up a set of 20 quality used lug bolts for my aftermarket AMG wheels, which have cone-seat bolt holes rather than the ball seat holes of older OEM wheels (don't know about later MB models.)

While doing that, sifting through some buckets filled with used bolts at one of the junk shops I deal with, I found out by mere chance that a certain type of ball-seat VW/Audi lug bolt makes for a perfect fit for my new 211 wheels when mounted on the rear, so I picked up ten of these too. I wish I had known this when I was in Jordan last month. As it turned out at the time, when fitting those 211 wheels to a 124, the shanks of MB lug bolts turned out to be either too long or too short, so I had to have a lathe shop shorten 10 of the 20 used bolts I picked up with the wheels so as to prevent them from interfering with the emergency brake mechanism. Had I known about the VW/Audi bolts, it would've saved me all that trouble.

Oh well, you learn something new every day. :dunno:

#2,698 ·
Gave the old girl a bit of a tidy up and polish.

Ready for Mercedes Cruise Day in Melbourne tomorrow !
Will post some piccies after the event - though not sure how many W124's will be there.

But some classic Merc's attending for the enthusiasts after hefty drives from Queensland and New South Wales.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz

Reactions: BenzQC
#2,700 ·
Sounds fun

Gave the old girl a bit of a tidy up and polish.

Ready for Mercedes Cruise Day in Melbourne tomorrow !
Will post some piccies after the event - though not sure how many W124's will be there.

But some classic Merc's attending for the enthusiasts after hefty drives from Queensland and New South Wales.

View attachment 1129521
Don't forget to post up some pics ;) If I didn't have to drive for a wedding today and attend an AGM on Sunday it would have been a fun adventure driving down to Melbourne.

I drive to Sydney in my good old 300TE every Christmas Holidays for the last 5 years along the Pacific Highway and with the bypasses has become a much more pleasant experience. Never driven past Sydney but wouldn't mind doing it one day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.