BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my E420 got some care this weekend.
(1) I had some tire wear on the rear inside. It was substantial. to remedy, I ordered parts and then assembled adjustable camber arms (ordered from a website listed here on the forum). One big difference was that the bushings were meant for offroad and were very very stiff. but I found polyurethane (nice and red in color) that fit and used those. they are closer to rubber in characteristics by comparison. Also, I put high quality polyurethane grease liberally in the assembly. results are quiet and smooth ride.
(2) I replaced a failing regulator on the drivers door. IMPORTANT: The instructions call for removing rivets from the "sound system" speaker mounting. THIS SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM ALL INSTRUCTIONS. The SIMPLE way to do this is to unbolt the motor while it is inside the door. at that point the regulator hardware OR the motor can be removed, depending on your repair needs - and that's without removing the speaker mount. Next, your put the motor and/ or hardware back inside the door and assemble it inside the door. There is substantially ample room to do this inside the door. This simplifies the repair 10 fold. also, I used an exterior (weatherproof) grease on every moving part. I put thin layers in places where there is contacting rotating brackets and heavy on the tracks. It went really well and the window works smoothly.
(3) As much as I want to keep the car as original as possible, I left the farm this weekend. I located a pair of rear lights and added a several strings LEDS. I just grew tired of the small square tail light lenses (when lit) compared to the plethora of modern taillights you see today. It took about 4 evenings to build. I added LEDS for the taillight, which then brightens when the brakes are activated. Also, I added LED strips to the turn signals. I did leave the bulbs active although it looks good with or without the original bulbs. I attached a photo, but thanks to Samsung note, it shows the individual LEDs when they are actually fully diffused and don't appear as individual light sources..to keep the heat in check, I built a small box that houses the resistors and diodes. I mounted a very small, but effective, CPU fan that runs whenever the car is running to thwart any heat buildup.. actually I love the mod. My alterations to date are now the keyless entry (totally invisible) and now these LEDs (highly visible).
(4) changed transmission fluid and filter.
the "E" is happier than ever