124 Performance Thread - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 1990 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I feel like the factory design could be very easily improved upon as it's really not that great (especially since factory designs are always about compromise, not about power), but there would be very little gains because that is not a limiting factor on this engine. I still need to poke around under the hood of this car when I have some time, but I'm guessing the cylinder head and intake manifold themselves are more limiting factors. And probably the factory cams, as this car was tuned to be comfortable, not fast. And from what I've read, the fuel injection system.

I'm so used to performance cars that it's a little strange to have a car where there's almost no realistic options for more power, other than going forced induction. But then again, this is a luxury car, not a performance car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Ram air is as good as you're going to find. Your car already has that from the factory

Air intakes should be as free flowing and short as possible. Check.

Air paths should be void of uncessary twists and bends. Your car's got it.

Air intake snorkels should be free of resonators and other power robbing rubbage. Ding, ding, ding.

Feel free to experiment, but ultimately you will find that there isn't really anything substantial to improve on over the stock gear.

The only possible improvement I can think of to improve the stock system is to eliminate the fog lights Dodge Hellcat style and force the air from that hole straight into the engine. And the improvement will be negligible at best.

If you're used to muscle cars, than these cars are pretty lame. I used to be the same many moons ago when I modded a 95 SVT Cobra from day 1 with delivery miles on the clock. I couldn't leave that thing alone until I had over 600 ponies on the dyno all the way back in 1996. The downside is how much money it took to get there.

These cars and European cars in general will blow a hole in your wallet if you're really intent on hopping up the power.
M. Schneider likes this.

Last edited by sbaert; 04-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #173 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
I cut the big dustpan looking flap on the front of the intake duct that seems would be a blockage when you look straight at it. Not sure if there were any gains, but the price was right. The factory system is short and direct. All production cars have power compromises for longevity, mileage, driveability, etc, but that doesn't mean they're easily overcome with bolt-on mods.

Proceed with caution. >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#dontdealwithkahlil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Ram air is as good as you're going to find. Your car already has that from the factory

Air intakes should be as free flowing and short as possible. Check.

Air paths should be void of uncessary twists and bends. Your car's got it.

Air intake snorkels should be free of resonators and other power robbing rubbage. Ding, ding, ding.

Feel free to experiment, but ultimately you will find that there isn't really anything substantial to improve on over the stock gear.

The only possible improvement I can think of to improve the stock system is to eliminate the fog lights Dodge Hellcat style and force the air from that hole straight into the engine. And the improvement will be negligible at best.

If you're used to muscle cars, than these cars are pretty lame. I used to be the same many moons ago when I modded a 95 SVT Cobra from day 1 with delivery miles on the clock. I couldn't leave that thing alone until I had over 600 ponies on the dyno all the way back in 1996. The downside is how much money it took to get there.

These cars and European cars in general will blow a hole in your wallet if you're really intent on hopping up the power.
As far as German cars go I'm also more used to BMW, which seems to be equally expensive but more "mod friendly." All of my past BMWs were tastefully modded with a slew of things. Except my M5, because companies tried to charge prices like $5 grand for a set of headers. That was ridiculous.

Keeping on the topic of performance; since we can't get much out of the engine, there's other ways to make these cars a bit peppier. I rarely see lightweight rims discussed; most people tend to go for the AMG wheels, which I'll admit look nice. Are there any in particular that are lighter weight? Or has anyone installed a set of very lightweight aftermarket wheels and noticed much of a difference?

Are there any transmission upgrades available for us? Anything such as a shift kit, or is the only option to replace the transmission with something better?
post #175 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnumber187 View Post
I cut the big dustpan looking flap on the front of the intake duct that seems would be a blockage when you look straight at it. Not sure if there were any gains, but the price was right. The factory system is short and direct. All production cars have power compromises for longevity, mileage, driveability, etc, but that doesn't mean they're easily overcome with bolt-on mods.

I remember reading where you did that. Seems like it might help a bit at speed. These engines don't seem too hungry though, which I believe is the main issue. They're just very mild engines, albeit with some decent compression ratios to boost power.
post #176 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Have a look at this thread where I got the idea to mod the intake duct. I'm skeptical he dropped 1sec from 1/4mi ETs, but whatever.

M104 performance from an M103! (Information given not questions asked!) - PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

You can adjust the trans for higher shift points and firmer shifts. I would go for a manual swap.

722.3 and 722.416 series transmission adjustments
infinitenexus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#dontdealwithkahlil
post #177 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
from what all I understand, the manuals on the W124's were pretty pedestrian. long throw slow shifting, wide gear spacing.

. . . . .
. . . . .
post #178 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastGeek View Post
from what all I understand, the manuals on the W124's were pretty pedestrian. long throw slow shifting, wide gear spacing.
Perhaps, but compared to what? 722.4 is hardly a Porsche PDK and prone to failure as well.

#dontdealwithkahlil
post #179 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sedan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, this mod really gets me, If anyone can get dyno results before and after I would be glad. I feel like Mercedes knew what they were doing when they designed the intake. This looks like a fun thing to do, but I don't think it would make a difference until you get your engine tuned to use that extra air to its advantage right?
post #180 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastGeek View Post
Try driving one with delrin shifter bushings instead of 30 year old rubber bushings. Smooth throws, positive engagement, perfect spacing for quick shifts.

Triggering religious fanatics since 1969

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in