124 Performance Thread - Page 17 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1993 400E
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 7,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booesq View Post
I've heard a lot about the 92 LH Module and would like to give it a try, but a very reliable MB second-hand parts supplier who seems to know his stuff (and definitely knows more than I do) says it won't work on my 1994 e320. Something about the two cars having entirely different fuel systems. Is he right?
The 92 LH module update is for 400E/E420 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMatt View Post
Yes, he's right. V8 cars use a different module which is not compatible with I6 cars.
Not just that, 93-95 M104's use HFM injection, not LH that the V-8's use in 92-95.
Booesq likes this.
Clarkz71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #162 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Bimmerman4ever's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
Location: Nevada/Reno
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMatt View Post
Yes, he's right. V8 cars use a different module which is not compatible with R6 cars.
From what I understand it's between 92-93 year models. The 92 having 10-1 compression @ 268 HP and the 93 having 11-1 compression @ 275 HP.
And the years after they changed to a distributorless ignition (coil packs).

Past Euros: 91 MBZ 300TE, 91 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe, 94 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 80 BMW 320i, 85 BMW 528e, 86 BMW 325e, 88 BMW 325e, 88 BMW 325i Cab, 89 BMW 325ix, 91 325i Cabrio, 93 BMW 740i, 94 BMW 740iL, 95 BMW 525i, 78 Fiat Spyder 124, 98 Land Rover D1 LSE, 93 MBZ 190E 2.6, 96 MBZ C280 Sport, 93 MBZ 400E, 90 MBZ 300ce, 92 MBZ 500SL, 71 MGB-GT, 91 VW Corrado G60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bimmerman4ever; 10-12-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Bimmerman4ever is offline  
post #163 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1993 400E
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 7,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman4ever View Post
From what I understand it's between 92-93 year models. The 92 having 10-1 compression @ 268 HP and the 93 having 11-1 compression @ 275 HP.
And the years after they changed to a distributorless ignition (coil packs).
Correct, and the injection system on those cars (no-dist) is called ME.
Clarkz71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #164 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting super slow take off at times, and rev up to 3000 rpm before changing gears. Also cruising at 70 mph it stays in 3000 rpm. Is it just the 02 sensor? Other than that the car is great!
autobuk.com is offline  
post #165 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1991 E-class 60,005miles
Location: NYC/ Westchester NY
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
mcbear, hey listen i wanna buy a magnaflow exhaust, just that last section, the muffler. I know i wont make any performance gains but i figure why not, my stock one rusted thru and fell off. So instead of buying a new stock exhaust which will most likely rust thru just like the one that came with the car, why not upgrade in a couple ways both sound and longevity. The magna's are stainless steel where as the stocker isn't. What do you suggest? I went to magna's site and i've seen the many uni muffler's and im not sure which one will fit my car the best or which one will sound the best.. I know each one has a type of reference number. WHich one should i purchase?
Jevo2 is offline  
post #166 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Moderator
 
Jayare's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 12,508
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo2 View Post
mcbear, hey listen i wanna buy a magnaflow exhaust, just that last section, the muffler. I know i wont make any performance gains but i figure why not, my stock one rusted thru and fell off. So instead of buying a new stock exhaust which will most likely rust thru just like the one that came with the car, why not upgrade in a couple ways both sound and longevity. The magna's are stainless steel where as the stocker isn't. What do you suggest? I went to magna's site and i've seen the many uni muffler's and im not sure which one will fit my car the best or which one will sound the best.. I know each one has a type of reference number. WHich one should i purchase?
Jevo2

mcbear no long participates in this forum or, to the best of my knowledge, this site and hasn't for several years. Don't think for a minute that your original muffler was junk and will rust out. Everything rust out after a period of time and much depends on your location. Think about how long the original lasted.. My 400E has 182,000 on the clock and is running the original exhaust system.

Ask Magnaflow for their best guess on your car.
Jayare is online now  
post #167 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: W124 1994 E420 M119.975
Location: PARAGOULD, AR
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELLO BENZWORLD

Hello to all my fellow Mercedes enthusiasts! I have been a member of the site for a while, but never made a proper introduction and background post.. So... Here goes nothin!
I originally had no Idea what I had heard about, an E420, but had to go look as it was being sold for $1,000 US.. Full story short, hadn't been started in 3 years, 1994 E420.. But, it has potential..... The car was sitting on 4 flat tires and had a completely dead battery..
Bought a new battery, my first purchase in this project, 5 gal. premium gas, and a can of Seafoam...... The car started and purred like it had been cruised earlier that day... no miss... no shudder... no engine light... WOW!
Looking around prior to this I found the paperwork... 1 owner, a doctor, purchased new in 1994, fairly good service record log with receipts... I opened my wallet and handed the seller $1000 cash and she was mine, a paint burnt slightly dented and dirty 94 E420.
Let me tell you what, this is the nicest riding running car I've ever had, until the water pump went out. Some of you saw that one coming a mile away I know. So, Benzworld has been a huge resource for me in research and knowledge about the w124 in general and the m119.. Thankyou so much and hope that I continue contribute to the site as much as I have used it to help me in the repair process... Doubt it but I'll try. The car has been down for over 18 months. I have purchased all new parts, gaskets, found a proper mechanic, and now the motor is almost finished.. Look for the pictures soon! ( I rebuilt the intake myself ) Cant wait for all of you to see my rebuild finished, and think you will approve...
thanks again,
DOLLARBENZ
DOLLARBENZ is offline  
post #168 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Bimmerman4ever's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
Location: Nevada/Reno
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOLLARBENZ View Post
Hello to all my fellow Mercedes enthusiasts! I have been a member of the site for a while, but never made a proper introduction and background post.. So... Here goes nothin!
I originally had no Idea what I had heard about, an E420, but had to go look as it was being sold for $1,000 US.. Full story short, hadn't been started in 3 years, 1994 E420.. But, it has potential..... The car was sitting on 4 flat tires and had a completely dead battery..
Bought a new battery, my first purchase in this project, 5 gal. premium gas, and a can of Seafoam...... The car started and purred like it had been cruised earlier that day... no miss... no shudder... no engine light... WOW!
Looking around prior to this I found the paperwork... 1 owner, a doctor, purchased new in 1994, fairly good service record log with receipts... I opened my wallet and handed the seller $1000 cash and she was mine, a paint burnt slightly dented and dirty 94 E420.
Let me tell you what, this is the nicest riding running car I've ever had, until the water pump went out. Some of you saw that one coming a mile away I know. So, Benzworld has been a huge resource for me in research and knowledge about the w124 in general and the m119.. Thankyou so much and hope that I continue contribute to the site as much as I have used it to help me in the repair process... Doubt it but I'll try. The car has been down for over 18 months. I have purchased all new parts, gaskets, found a proper mechanic, and now the motor is almost finished.. Look for the pictures soon! ( I rebuilt the intake myself ) Cant wait for all of you to see my rebuild finished, and think you will approve...
thanks again,
DOLLARBENZ
Yes there are deals out there. I had a 93 400E with ASR and heated seats (160k miles). Purchased for $2k because of very minor parking lot fender-bender (so salvaged title). I put some new brakes, tinted windows, new head light doors and sold it for $4500


Past Euros: 91 MBZ 300TE, 91 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe, 94 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 80 BMW 320i, 85 BMW 528e, 86 BMW 325e, 88 BMW 325e, 88 BMW 325i Cab, 89 BMW 325ix, 91 325i Cabrio, 93 BMW 740i, 94 BMW 740iL, 95 BMW 525i, 78 Fiat Spyder 124, 98 Land Rover D1 LSE, 93 MBZ 190E 2.6, 96 MBZ C280 Sport, 93 MBZ 400E, 90 MBZ 300ce, 92 MBZ 500SL, 71 MGB-GT, 91 VW Corrado G60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bimmerman4ever is offline  
post #169 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 1990 300E
Location: Maryland
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey, I hope no one minds me resurrecting this performance sticky. It would be nice to see more discussion on this.

I've done some searching and noticed no one seems to touch this horribly inefficient looking air filter system we have, with just one strangled corrugated tube squeezing into the grill. Has anyone removed that system entirely and designed something better? There has to be some efficiency to be gained there, although from what I've learned of these engines, even an excellent intake might only gain a couple horsepower. What I see sometimes recommended is to throw a K&N filter in there, but those have been shown to not really increase horsepower, and to increase dirt intake, so I would like to avoid that.

Also, has anyone grabbed a spare head/intake manifold/anything else from a junkyard or wrecked car and done any porting work or anything similar?

Seems the only things I ever see mentioned are "install a high flow exhaust or turbo it, everything else is a waste of time because MB engineers are perfect and there are no other options." haha.
infinitenexus is offline  
post #170 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 16,529
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
...
I've done some searching and noticed no one seems to touch this horribly inefficient looking air filter system we have, with just one strangled corrugated tube squeezing into the grill. Has anyone removed that system entirely and designed something better?....
You're going to be hard pressed to improve on the factory ram air design. Nothing else come close, although plenty have tried including running a duct from below the bumper skirt.

As long as you use good filters (Mann, Knecht-Mahle, Hengst or original MB), you've got the best set up already. On the V8 the only "upgrade" you can do is to replace the foam intake snorkels which deteriorate with age with the updated factory pieces.
sbaert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
124 Sedan Picture Thread salamanca W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 2309 06-27-2019 06:29 PM
124 Coupe/Cabriolet Picture Thread bahnstormer W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 1170 05-27-2019 05:27 PM
124 Wagon Picture Thread Deja-vue W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 1131 05-26-2019 10:42 AM
Thread from the 124 forum bass1175 W140 S-Class 1 10-21-2006 07:48 AM
Group Buy 124 and 201 Performance Control Arms David Hendy W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 1 06-07-2003 12:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome