Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1983 240D. Screws laying in bottom of tranny pan

750 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Leon1989300SE 
#1 ·
I have a 1983 Mercedes Benz 240D with an automatic transmission and while changing the filter and fluid, I found 3 6mm flathead Phillips screws in the pan.
I have come to the conclusion that they have came from the front end of the transmission but the origin is not visible even after removing the valve body.
My guess is that I'll have to remove the transmission from the car and pull the front pump assembly, which is accessible from the front, inside the bell housing, correct? I believe that these could be pump cover screws on the back side of the pump assembly, but a diagram and/or picture of the pump assembly will be of further help. Help from one of you experts would be much appreciated

lkbor@frontier.com
503-583-1882
Leon

#5 ·
Thank you very much for posting this. This will be of great help. It looks like if I pop off my bell housing and the front pump assembly, that should allow me to see where these three flathead screws came from. I found some aluminum particles on the front left corner of the valve body, where one had hit the inside of the casing, so I'm 99.9% positive that my issue is there in that area. The rest of the transmission looks like brand new inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.