BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2019
Vehicle: 1985 280TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W123 280TE hard fuel line part number confirmation

Hi all,

I recently got a 280TE from a friend that's been sitting for over 10 years. In the course of replacing the CIS injectors, I managed to break the fuel hard line leading from the side of the fuel distributor to the fuel pressure regulator; the first attachment has the line in question. However, the line in the parts diagram (part 776) looks completely different, yet serves the same function. Is it normal to have parts diagram lines look different than the actual line?

The part number for the line is 110-070-48-32 - is that the right one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2533114   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-07 21_26_32-M 110.984 - INJECTION PUMP AND CARBURETOR _ Mercedes EPC Online _ nemigapart.png
Views:	8
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	2533116  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 AM

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Do you have a frequency valve mounted? If not familiar, it sorta looks like an electronic fuel injector. This may be why it looks different from yours.

If you can’t find a replacement, I have one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz View Post
Do you have a frequency valve mounted? If not familiar, it sorta looks like an electronic fuel injector. This may be why it looks different from yours.

If you can’t find a replacement, I have one.
It's the line connected via a banjo bolt pass through on the hard line to the distributor, right? That's how this whole mess started; the rubber line has broken due to age, and the metal fitting would not come free at all.

Do I need to use the frequency valve/all the grey market emissions stuff?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3961.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2533242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: '89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If you don’t need to pass an emissions test then do away with it but the frequency valve is handy for tuning your 280. Just probe and tune to 45° duty cycle on 4 cylinder scale and she’ll be 100%.

1985 have a EGR mounted on forward exhaust manifold?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If you don’t need to pass an emissions test then do away with it but the frequency valve is handy for tuning your 280. Just probe and tune to 45° duty cycle on 4 cylinder scale and she’ll be 100%.

1985 have a EGR mounted on forward exhaust manifold?
I'm all open to keeping it if it makes my life easier - i just read somewhere that the emissions stuff makes the cars never really run right, hence my thought on taking them off. But they're _helpful_, I'm all for it! I'd need to figure out what banjo lines I'd need for either side since one is broken and the other is in a sorry shape.

Is the part number in the diagram a different line compared to the one I have on my grey market?

I took this photo when I got the car - is that the EGR on the forward manifold? Should I keep him there?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2878.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	2533296  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You could try taking the bango fittings to someone who makes hydraulic and air lines.

Yes, that’s the EGR. It depends which road you follow if it should be kept or removed.

I see your battery is disconnected... parasitic draw?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Fair - there's a shop that makes brake lines that I was going to go visit with my busted fuel line to see if they can fab a replacement. Sadly the other end that goes into the regulator got a bit bent out of shape but I have a reference photo and the overall length should be about the same - I'll give them a call now to see the costs, as well as to see if they can fab up two new banjo lines. I think I'll keep it given that the frequency sensor will make my life easier.

I did see an advert for a complete set of lines for $180 - should I just buy them all to have spares on hand?

That battery has since been replaced with a fresh lead acid from Oreillys - it was not holding a charge at all. I don't leave the new one in the car in fears it might be stolen, since the Mercedes is currently in the back of a used car lot and the place has had break ins - with people stealing from the Mercedes.

I'll admit I was hoping to get it drive-able in a few weeks to bring it to my home 7 miles away but that doesn't look likely.

I suppose I should give a bit of a back story as to how I broke the line; after doing the usual steps to get an old car fired up, I turned the key and the car started - only to die a minute later. Trying to turn it on again would result in the starter turning but the motor not catching unless the throttle was held down. I thought it might be clogged injectors so I removed the first four and tried spraying carb cleaner into them only to see literally nothing come out the other side - so I got replacements. That was when I noticed the first banjo line had been torn and was spraying petrol everywhere. I learned the hard way that you can't re-insert the broken line into the banjo nipple - so I tried removing the fuel line on the top of the distributor; the fuel line wouldn't turn free of the banjo line - they would twist in unison. I was stupid and thought I could take it off without twisting and breaking the fuel line; instead I managed to break it.

So that's where I'm at with the restoration. I can get more photos tomorrow since I'll go check up on the car in the afternoon.

As soon as I get a replacement hard line I'll go ahead and replace the fuel pump which was frozen and had to be whacked with a breaker bar and the fuel filter. I have the parts already - might just do it tomorrow since I don't have much else to do.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Personally, I would buy the least amount of parts until you get it running and moving on it’s own power before shelling out for parts. Fuel pump isn’t cheap and advise against those ‘bargain’ off brand ones. Careful banging around there too, that accumulator next to fuel pump and filter isn’t cheap and very critical to the operation of the fuel injection system.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Got to thinking, do you have any junk yards around that carry old VW rabbits or old BMW e21 or others of that era? Those similar K Jet systems have flexible fuel lines with banjo ends that may be worth looking around for and could be cheap as chips and get you to your happy place.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Personally, I would buy the least amount of parts until you get it running and moving on it’s own power before shelling out for parts. Fuel pump isn’t cheap and advise against those ‘bargain’ off brand ones. Careful banging around there too, that accumulator next to fuel pump and filter isn’t cheap and very critical to the operation of the fuel injection system.
That's a good point; I did buy a Bosch fuel pump and a Mahle filter, so that stuff is all good - I'm concerned about the fuel filter, though. The injector holder seals were completely hard as rocks and needed to be replaced, though. However, you're right that I should stop throwing money at this car until it works.

I'm super nervous that I somehow damaged that accumulator.

Quote:
Got to thinking, do you have any junk yards around that carry old VW rabbits or old BMW e21 or others of that era? Those similar K Jet systems have flexible fuel lines with banjo ends that may be worth looking around for and could be cheap as chips and get you to your happy place.
There is a one yard that has a Rabbit of the era with a 1.7 which as I understood from the Wikipedia page has the same K-Jetronic system. Think any of the lines would be long enough to bend into the length I need? I can go see the Rabbit tomorrow afternoon - it's a drive away but the yard had at least one W123 diesel that I could scavenge for interior bits.

I still can't believe my dumb ass managed to break a hard to replace fuel line tbh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in