post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1982 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300D engine cuts after turning over.

Ok, so bear with me, a bit of background- also I'm new here, usually on Peachparts, so hello!

I was trying to do a long distance drive a few weeks ago when I stopped to fuel up.When I put the key back in the ignition the starter tried to crank before I even got the key to position two.I took it out and tried it again and small puffs of smoke came out of the keyhole.

On my second attempt to turn it over the starter engaged at terminal speeds, incredibly high pitched screaming.Key was out of the ignition but it wouldn't stop wouldn't stop until I yanked a battery terminal loose.

Replaced the ignition switch that had shorted all, Replace the starter and its very melted solenoid. But there's a new problem

When I go to start the car the ignition behaves normally, the starter cranks and the engine turns over, and then it immediately cuts out. I've tried giving it a little tap on the accelerator, I checked out the STOP lever and its not stuck or anything unusual. Checked the fuel lines after trying to start and diesel is getting to the injectors so I'm ruling out lift pump.

Also checked to make sure the vacuum lines to the ignition aren't switched, and those are good.

It's getting plenty of fuel, so I think that rules out the shutoff switch?

Here's a video of starting it as it is, and again with the vacuum unplugged.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...hVuIopPno1fRTN

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never had an issue like this with my 4+ 300s.

Thanks very much,

LBJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Well, the engine isn't stopping because of anything electrical. What happens if you remove the vacuum from the shut-off at the IP?
christuna likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My thought is that the 2 vacuum lines at the ignition switch may have gotten switched and as soon as the engine starts vacuum is applied to the shut off shutting down the engine ( if that is a possibility), or he may have left a piece out when he changed the ignition switch and the vacuum switch is now stuck allowing vacuum to the shut off full time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
My first thought was that the vacuum lines from the ignition were switched too, but not the case.

so here's what i've tried

Disconnected vac at the injection pump, starts no problem, plug it back in, car shuts off.

Disconnected brown ignition line that goes through the firewall at the Y connector, plugged off the y, starts right up, plug line BACK in, continues running but key will not shut it off.

disconnect both vacuum lines at the ignition, starts up, runs, drives, if i press them together to close the vacuum (please see lovely illustration), car shuts off. (well, it was, but after driving for an hour and a half and car got hot it didnt shut it off, but engine slowed, had to use cut off switch under hood)

So, the starter switch was replaced, not the whole assembly. I'm thinking that whatever part is in there that separates the vacuum in and vacuum out got blown up with the original incident happened ( smoke coming out of the ignition)

This seems reasonable yes? But why wouldn't the two vacuum lines pressed together fail to shut the car off when hot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8207.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	2513562  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdupuis View Post
he may have left a piece out when he changed the ignition switch and the vacuum switch is now stuck allowing vacuum to the shut off full time.
I was just going to get a new ignition assembly, but now since it wouldn't shut off hot, I'm doubting. How can i check my existing vacuum switch to see if thats the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in