post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1983 W123 280e
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question *Help* M110 280e Engine

So a couple of weeks back I enjoyed a spirited (Ok not really but 140km/h max) drive along the freeway.

Once I got off the freeway, and took a slight turn to the left, the engine just shut off, once i completed the turn to the left and was on level ground again I started the car and drove for about 150m, where the engine again shut off. I again started the engine and pulled away, I drove about 200m and there was a splutter and the engine shut off again. So as before, I started the engine and drove a bit more, this time getting to the next traffic light, and keeping the engine on a bit of a rev as I suspected that it was fueling due to the splutter I experienced about 30 seconds earlier.

From there I managed to drive the car home with no issue. I parked it off for a few hours, and then decided to go out for a drive again, the issue was non existent. And it was a round trip of around 30km from my house around the area and back home, whether I turned left or right, there was no issue. Later in the week I took it for a 60km trip to my wife's parents, no issue again.

I then parked the car off and went on holiday, so the car stood for approximately 2 weeks. I get back home, start the car and drive around my area, I get to a round-about on the road and and with a slight turn to the left, the engine shuts off again.

So My first thoughts is the car is having some fuel starvation, however on the day that this initially happened the fuel gauge was at a quarter tank and it drove fine after the motor cooled down later that afternoon, however it did the same thing when I came back from holiday and the car wasn't yet at normal operating temperature. I assumed that the left turn lets the fuel in the tank move to the opposite side of the tank fuel line feed and this could be causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Any info on how to troubleshoot will be appreciated.

This is a W123 280e, M110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Aquaholic

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '81 280E turbo M119 project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii +others
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Check connections on ignition system such as ICU on fender, the green lead from ICU to distributor, coil electrical contacts, junction near coil with 2 wires, engine ground strap to chassis, and also crawl under car and inspect the main feed hose to fuel pump from fuel tank and drips from fuel filter.
BobSantos and Irfaan_ZA like this.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz View Post
Check connections on ignition system such as ICU on fender, the green lead from ICU to distributor, coil electrical contacts, junction near coil with 2 wires, engine ground strap to chassis, and also crawl under car and inspect the main feed hose to fuel pump from fuel tank and drips from fuel filter.
Thank you sir, will have a look this weekend. I just hope I can find the issue and sort it out, I cannot allow that car to stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 AM
Aquaholic

Vehicle: '81 280E turbo M119 project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii +others
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Also check the vacuum line and check valve from brake booster to engine.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Also check the vacuum line and check valve from brake booster to engine.
Will check that too and report back. Hopefully if I can get home while the sun is still shining I can have a look
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Aquaholic

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You know what, thinking more on this, this is a classic sign the fuel pump is worn out. Although it pumps just fine, while engaging a turn, the rollervane inside loses contact with terminals.

An example is a household fan that is going bad. If you lean it backwards, sometimes it will spin as it should but when you set back upright, it will start slowing down.

Also couldn’t hurt to pull the fuel pump relay and inspect for corrosion in socket and on blades.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You know what, thinking more on this, this is a classic sign the fuel pump is worn out. Although it pumps just fine, while engaging a turn, the rollervane inside loses contact with terminals.

An example is a household fan that is going bad. If you lean it backwards, sometimes it will spin as it should but when you set back upright, it will start slowing down.

Also couldn’t hurt to pull the fuel pump relay and inspect for corrosion in socket and on blades.
I Will die of anxiety from reading this

But what you say does make sense. Ill go through everything and hopefully its a pipe or contact or something. I don't even want to think what a new pump costs here in South Africa.

On a side note it runs really well and under load it doesnt seem like a dying pump (Oh well thats what I hope)
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 AM
Aquaholic

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Sure, it will perform flawlessly and as it should if in a stable position. This is wear internally. Try asking planecrazy if he knows of a local source.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Garage
Expect to pay ±R1500 for a brand new Bosch from the Bosch Diesel Electric shops. Or you could risk second-hand.

The Bosch product number is 0 580 254 910.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 NA engine, 5-speed manual
1986 200, OM617 NA engine, 5-speed manual, rev counter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donkey, not gone, never forgotten...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sure, it will perform flawlessly and as it should if in a stable position. This is wear internally. Try asking planecrazy if he knows of a local source.
So is the twin turbo build of yours still a secret or can we see some footage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in