Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/)
-   -   *Help* M110 280e Engine (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/3005745-help-m110-280e-engine.html)

Irfaan_ZA 10-09-2018 04:48 AM

*Help* M110 280e Engine

So a couple of weeks back I enjoyed a spirited (Ok not really but 140km/h max) drive along the freeway.

Once I got off the freeway, and took a slight turn to the left, the engine just shut off, once i completed the turn to the left and was on level ground again I started the car and drove for about 150m, where the engine again shut off. I again started the engine and pulled away, I drove about 200m and there was a splutter and the engine shut off again. So as before, I started the engine and drove a bit more, this time getting to the next traffic light, and keeping the engine on a bit of a rev as I suspected that it was fueling due to the splutter I experienced about 30 seconds earlier.

From there I managed to drive the car home with no issue. I parked it off for a few hours, and then decided to go out for a drive again, the issue was non existent. And it was a round trip of around 30km from my house around the area and back home, whether I turned left or right, there was no issue. Later in the week I took it for a 60km trip to my wife's parents, no issue again.

I then parked the car off and went on holiday, so the car stood for approximately 2 weeks. I get back home, start the car and drive around my area, I get to a round-about on the road and and with a slight turn to the left, the engine shuts off again.

So My first thoughts is the car is having some fuel starvation, however on the day that this initially happened the fuel gauge was at a quarter tank and it drove fine after the motor cooled down later that afternoon, however it did the same thing when I came back from holiday and the car wasn't yet at normal operating temperature. I assumed that the left turn lets the fuel in the tank move to the opposite side of the tank fuel line feed and this could be causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Any info on how to troubleshoot will be appreciated.

This is a W123 280e, M110

Nutz 4 Benz 10-09-2018 05:04 AM

Check connections on ignition system such as ICU on fender, the green lead from ICU to distributor, coil electrical contacts, junction near coil with 2 wires, engine ground strap to chassis, and also crawl under car and inspect the main feed hose to fuel pump from fuel tank and drips from fuel filter.

Irfaan_ZA 10-09-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz (Post 17572799)
Check connections on ignition system such as ICU on fender, the green lead from ICU to distributor, coil electrical contacts, junction near coil with 2 wires, engine ground strap to chassis, and also crawl under car and inspect the main feed hose to fuel pump from fuel tank and drips from fuel filter.

Thank you sir, will have a look this weekend. I just hope I can find the issue and sort it out, I cannot allow that car to stand. :thumbsup:

Nutz 4 Benz 10-09-2018 05:42 AM

Also check the vacuum line and check valve from brake booster to engine.

Irfaan_ZA 10-09-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz (Post 17572825)
Also check the vacuum line and check valve from brake booster to engine.

Will check that too and report back. Hopefully if I can get home while the sun is still shining I can have a look

Nutz 4 Benz 10-09-2018 06:26 AM

You know what, thinking more on this, this is a classic sign the fuel pump is worn out. Although it pumps just fine, while engaging a turn, the rollervane inside loses contact with terminals.

An example is a household fan that is going bad. If you lean it backwards, sometimes it will spin as it should but when you set back upright, it will start slowing down.

Also couldn’t hurt to pull the fuel pump relay and inspect for corrosion in socket and on blades.

Irfaan_ZA 10-09-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz (Post 17572853)
You know what, thinking more on this, this is a classic sign the fuel pump is worn out. Although it pumps just fine, while engaging a turn, the rollervane inside loses contact with terminals.

An example is a household fan that is going bad. If you lean it backwards, sometimes it will spin as it should but when you set back upright, it will start slowing down.

Also couldn’t hurt to pull the fuel pump relay and inspect for corrosion in socket and on blades.

I Will die of anxiety from reading this:eek

But what you say does make sense. Ill go through everything and hopefully its a pipe or contact or something. I don't even want to think what a new pump costs here in South Africa.

On a side note it runs really well and under load it doesnt seem like a dying pump (Oh well thats what I hope)

Nutz 4 Benz 10-09-2018 06:43 AM

Sure, it will perform flawlessly and as it should if in a stable position. This is wear internally. Try asking planecrazy if he knows of a local source.

PlaneCrazy 10-09-2018 07:34 AM

Expect to pay ±R1500 for a brand new Bosch from the Bosch Diesel Electric shops. Or you could risk second-hand.

The Bosch product number is 0 580 254 910.

Irfaan_ZA 10-09-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz (Post 17572883)
Sure, it will perform flawlessly and as it should if in a stable position. This is wear internally. Try asking planecrazy if he knows of a local source.

So is the twin turbo build of yours still a secret or can we see some footage:devil