New or rebuilt injectors for a OM617? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbodiesel (US Spec)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New or rebuilt injectors for a OM617?

I tried to do some research about the pros and cons of replacing the injectors with new ones vs rebuilding the old ones, but I didn’t find much information about it.

In terms of price, it seems cheaper to me buying the new ones rather than paying an injection shop to rebuild the current ones, but I am not sure about the quality of new injectors because some claim they are made in India and quality is not consistent (although no one shows proof of that).

So, what do you think about new injectors, are they any good? Or is it better to get the ones that I have rebuilt even if that cost more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
I would buy new injectors. Yes, the new stuff aren't as rugged as the originals, but I have made peace with having to potentially replace nozzles more often. However, I had injectors rebuilt at a Bosch centre, and they were never the same - more than one were cracked after being repaired, one wouldn't stop bending its plunger etc.

These injector bodies do get old eventually.
luisg92 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 NA engine, 5-speed manual
1986 200, OM617 NA engine, 5-speed manual, rev counter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donkey, not gone, never forgotten...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:29 AM
~PERMA BANNED~

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
Injector bodies are not wear items. Over-heating and over-torquing (of the body or tube nut) are the main causes of damage.
I would trust reman injectors over any new ones, because they have skilled eyes testing them instead of a factory machine.

Quote:
made in India and quality is not consistent (although no one shows proof of that)
Everything made in India is garbage quality. Materials are expensive, labor is the cheap resource there.
Mahindra and Royal Enfield are good examples, everyone says they are overbuilt. Because they have to be to compensate for the low quality materials and poor craftsmanship. I know this first hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2336.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2449085  
luisg92 likes this.

Last edited by Forcedinduction; 08-23-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Vehicle: 1984 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought and installed “new rebuilt injectors”. I bought them on eBay from “parts container”. Who is the seller....so this didn’t fix my problem, but... when my car is running good, it runs better. When it’s running rough, it is still the same/ rough... I’m starting a new thread in a minute or two about my next choices on how to fix it, but....they are easy to install, and I had new braided fuel return hose to put on anyways. Good luck.
luisg92 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh84300d View Post
I just bought and installed “new rebuilt injectors”. I bought them on eBay from “parts container”. Who is the seller....so this didn’t fix my problem, but... when my car is running good, it runs better. When it’s running rough, it is still the same/ rough... I’m starting a new thread in a minute or two about my next choices on how to fix it, but....they are easy to install, and I had new braided fuel return hose to put on anyways. Good luck.
That is the reason I will replace my injectors (after testing them of course); the car has a nasty occasional shake at idle that doesn’t manifest when is running on diesel purge. Some people suggest that's an indicator the injectors could be clogged. There is also a bit of grey/pale blue smoke despite the fact that doesn’t burn oil nor coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcedinduction View Post
Injector bodies are not wear items. Over-heating and over-torquing (of the body or tube nut) are the main causes of damage.
I would trust reman injectors over any new ones, because they have skilled eyes testing them instead of a factory machine.
That is what I fear. They could have been rebuild at some point in the past and perhaps were over tightened. I don’t know and won’t know until they are rebuilt. A number of items in my car were over tightened by the previous shop that repaired and maintained the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
I would buy new injectors. Yes, the new stuff aren't as rugged as the originals, but I have made peace with having to potentially replace nozzles more often. However, I had injectors rebuilt at a Bosch centre, and they were never the same - more than one were cracked after being repaired, one wouldn't stop bending its plunger etc.

In case of getting new ones, I would have them tested for both, spray pattern and pop pressure cause one never knows. It seems that one has to take extra precautions when replacing something these days. Quality is so inconsistent; some things are so well made while others are worthy of shame.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
I have the same symptoms with my car. It didn’t resolve with the replacement injectors. I will be ordering a new fuel pump today, and when it comes in I’ll also clean out the strainer and maybe the tank as well. Might as well limit my exposure to diesel to one weekend. Good luck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:27 PM
~PERMA BANNED~

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg92 View Post
the car has a nasty occasional shake at idle that doesn’t manifest when is running on diesel purge. Some people suggest that's an indicator the injectors could be clogged. There is also a bit of grey/pale blue smoke despite the fact that doesn’t burn oil nor coolant.
Symptoms of retarded injection timing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcedinduction View Post
Symptoms of retarded injection timing.
Thanks for the input. That’s something that I will have to pay someone to check because I don’t know much about the injection timing. I guess is time to do some research.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
What controls the injection timing? Is it controlled( advanced/ retarded) with the vacuum system, or is it a mechanical adjustment? I’m not in the “know” yet with this motor or system....and why would it be variable if it were a mechanical issue that requires adjustment? I was hoping mine was an injector that was sticking..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
The timing is controlled by the throttle and the governor. The pump reference is done by rotating the fuel pump towards or away from the engine. According to MB specs, the injection pump timing should be adjusted to 15°ATDC at idle, or 24°BTDC at full-throttle, depending on the fuel pump and method you use.

W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 NA engine, 5-speed manual
1986 200, OM617 NA engine, 5-speed manual, rev counter

Donkey, not gone, never forgotten...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in