Date registered: Nov 2017
Vehicle: 1983 W123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Paint Job Quote $7000 for W123 83'

I am based in Los Angeles CA and just drove to a Car Paint Shop to get a verbal
quote for my W123 so I can get an idea how long it will take me to save money.

The gentleman said that he would only do it the "right" way meaning he
needs to strip the old paint off and considering size of car etc. it would be 7G's.
Now I was expecting 5G's at the worst so I was wondering if anybody else got
a fairly recent Paint Job that included stripping the old paint. I understand that
thing are more expensive here in LA since people her love regulations taxes etc.
but 7G's still surprised me.

Please let me know if you have any comparable data / quotes.

thanks
georgeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 PM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
I did a bare metal, windows out respray on my 85' 300TD a few years ago. I did all the stripping of the 4-5 old paint jobs down to bare metal, cut out a few small spots of rust and welded in new metal. Then did any body work needed and primed it. Then dropped it off at my buddy's where he blocked it out one last time, checked my body work and give it a beautiful paint job of Cypress Green Metallic. If I were to pay to have all the work done between the two of us, the price would have been close to $15k, so your quote of $7k is a deal if he does it right.
oldmako likes this.

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
There are a handful of things in cars where you need to dig deep and drop the coin. Unless of course, you know a guy....

If I were having a car painted, I'd want to see several cars painted by that shop in order to gauge their work.

ANYONE can paint a car and make it look nice from 50 feet.

Case in point, two years ago I bought a repainted car with a phenomenal phinish. Ordinarily, I would never consider a car with a recent respray out of fear of what has been covered up. But this car showed evidence of age in the paint. Age brings out the shit in a paintjob...the bondo, the rust. On this car, the valence panel below the headlamps is beat to hell with road grit, as is the leading edge of the hood. Apparently, the PO liked to drive fast and likely tailgated slow mofo's. It took a lot of time for that damage to occur so I figured that the paint job was already several years old. So I bought it. The paint is astonishing and must have cost someone a fortune. I spent a few hours with a buffer and some 3M Finessit to make it pop. It actually looks better now than it did when I bought it. Try that with a cheap MAACO paint job.

Long story short, whatever the PO paid to paint my car was worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for and a high-quality paint job is very expensive.

Check out the reflections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2347818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2347826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2347834  
Smorrow and cBlonde300D like this.

Last edited by oldmako; 01-06-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1985 300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
yeah good paint is always more than people expect and in many cases can afford or see as reasonable. i had a customer come in with a 300sd wanting it repainted to original quality. between the 4000 for glasurit 90 series, base, clear, and DTM epoxy primer, the hammer work and putty work fixing various small dings, block sanding, replacing warped cladding, and more it likely worked out as 15K+ for everything. there is more than 100 man hours in removing all the trim getting every body panel stripped to bare metal and straightening the worst of the dents that build up in the life of a daily driven car. then filler putty, filler primer, base, clear, color sanding, buffing, aligning and polishing trim, ect ect. thats not covering all the issues you inevitably find and have to fix when you take a car down that far. all that being said once you see the finished product in the sun for the first time it all becomes worth it. so my advice is find someone that knows what they are doing talk to people that have been there before, look at some of the cars they have done. then save up to have the job done right.
oldmako and cBlonde300D like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I want to say thanks (to everybody) for replying and I see that there is a clear verdict here
that says: YES a great paint job is definitely in that $$$ range and worth it.

Since I do not have any other expensive hobbies (nor kids) I will get it done down the road.
OLDMAKO's photos are amazing and definitively a "motivator" to do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend

georgeo
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1985 300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
one last thing i forget to mention is you need to balance how much you spend on a paint job vs how much you drive the car. theres no reason to spend 12k or more on a perfect paint job if you are going to daily the car.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes exactly ..it is per choice is my "daily driver" to work and back (only 4 miles per trip)
My W123 has slightly above 200.000 miles on it .. so I have some room :-)
And I do have a second new car for the grind in heavy traffic etc.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: '01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I painted my wife's '82 240D in 1991 with 15 coats of acrylic lacquer, 50/50 mix with clear on the last 2 coats. A year later the car was totaled. When the insurance adjuster came to appraise the car, he asked my wife who painted the car. He gave us extra money for my paint job.
Your estimate sounds about right for a quality job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1982240D4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2348106  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Drive it down to Mexico and get it painted there.
Nutz 4 Benz likes this.

With best regards

Al

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Had my 126 painted about eight years ago.

Sought advice from the two best paint supply shops in town and asked who I should retain to paint the car. Both shops named the same individual. He was retired from a dealership body shop and painted in a building at his house. The car had original paint with no accidents/corrosion so it was an "easy" job. He stripped the paint/primer and left the rest. He removed every single item from the car before spraying- $3500. He used PPG products. If you saw the car most would think it was a $10,000 job.

My guy has taken some time off from painting and referred me to a shop that he has used for years when he had overflow work. I'm going to have them paint my '85 CD. Will try to strip all the hardware myself except front/rear glass. Will be using Glasurit products. Happy to share that price when it comes back. Hopefully this week.

We're both in LA- you in Los Angeles and me in Lower Alabama aka the Redneck Riviera. Try asking around at paint suppliers. My 126 came from OC. I seem to remember mechanic services in certain areas were not much more expensive than shops in Alabama. Check around you might be surprised what you find.
oldmako likes this.

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in