Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Have a very good friend who was born/raised in VA Beach. I’d take you to the Surf Rider for a beverage next time I’m up but alas it’s closed! So, you’ll have to make another suggestion for brand X watering hole.

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
I don't. Ever since they closed Ocean Eddies (enjoying The Snard Brothers Band while all the ladies danced ON the bar!), The Duck Inn and The Beach Grill - I just imbibe on the homefront. Guess I'm showing my age!

Just like me, this town is really slippin' downhill.

Last edited by oldmako; 01-07-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
There are a handful of things in cars where you need to dig deep and drop the coin. Unless of course, you know a guy....

If I were having a car painted, I'd want to see several cars painted by that shop in order to gauge their work.

ANYONE can paint a car and make it look nice from 50 feet.

Case in point, two years ago I bought a repainted car with a phenomenal phinish. Ordinarily, I would never consider a car with a recent respray out of fear of what has been covered up. But this car showed evidence of age in the paint. Age brings out the shit in a paintjob...the bondo, the rust. On this car, the valence panel below the headlamps is beat to hell with road grit, as is the leading edge of the hood. Apparently, the PO liked to drive fast and likely tailgated slow mofo's. It took a lot of time for that damage to occur so I figured that the paint job was already several years old. So I bought it. The paint is astonishing and must have cost someone a fortune. I spent a few hours with a buffer and some 3M Finessit to make it pop. It actually looks better now than it did when I bought it. Try that with a cheap MAACO paint job.

Long story short, whatever the PO paid to paint my car was worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for and a high-quality paint job is very expensive.

Check out the reflections.
Nice paint , BUT ?
Two stage with clear coat water based paint ?
Better keep it out of the sun....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
I have no idea what the paint is. It was done long before I bought the car and the guy I bought it from had no idea either. It's been in the sun plenty for the last two years.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
I have no idea what the paint is. It was done long before I bought the car and the guy I bought it from had no idea either. It's been in the sun plenty for the last two years.
I am living in the high Desert in California with 320 or so sunny days every year.
All the fancy paint jobs are coming off in sheets these days...
Probably will be years before it will happen to yours, just saying , keep it waxed and try to avoid it being outside, is all I am saying, it's too nice to let go....
cBlonde300D likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBlonde300D View Post
I am based in Los Angeles CA and just drove to a Car Paint Shop to get a verbal
quote for my W123 so I can get an idea how long it will take me to save money.

The gentleman said that he would only do it the "right" way meaning he
needs to strip the old paint off and considering size of car etc. it would be 7G's.
Now I was expecting 5G's at the worst so I was wondering if anybody else got
a fairly recent Paint Job that included stripping the old paint. I understand that
thing are more expensive here in LA since people her love regulations taxes etc.
but 7G's still surprised me.

Please let me know if you have any comparable data / quotes.

thanks
georgeo
I need to get a few cars painted myself and have found out that the environment gestapo (EPA/AQB) here in CA have outlawed all DECENT paint, so your result will only last a couple of years, no matter how much work and money you throw at it !!

UNLESS , ....PM me.
cBlonde300D likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I am in the process of putting back a S123 and I learned quiet a bit about proper paint jobs. There's a big range in costs, and if done "properly", it will also mean new rubber seals/gaskets, clips and rivets. I also spent approximately $700 for just the CLEAR COAT. You don't want to go through a thorough repaint and cheap out on materials. I probably won't be doing another paint job like this in the future unless the car is something special and unique. Might be better at that point to sell what you have and find a better example.

Pictured is my S123 prior to paint. You can see what was removed to do a proper paint job. I might have just pulled the motor, but stopped short.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6563.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2348746  
innovation560 and oldmako like this.

1980 Mercedes 280TE AMG
1990 Mercedes 560SEL with AMG parts modifications
1991 Mercedes 190E AMG with Brabus 4-cyl M102 2.6
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Grillz View Post
I am in the process of putting back a S123 and I learned quiet a bit about proper paint jobs. There's a big range in costs, and if done "properly", it will also mean new rubber seals/gaskets, clips and rivets. I also spent approximately $700 for just the CLEAR COAT. You don't want to go through a thorough repaint and cheap out on materials. I probably won't be doing another paint job like this in the future unless the car is something special and unique. Might be better at that point to sell what you have and find a better example.

Pictured is my S123 prior to paint. You can see what was removed to do a proper paint job. I might have just pulled the motor, but stopped short.
Painting the wagon is no joke! I assume the headliner had to be removed to get the roof rack off.

You make a very valid point regarding rubber bits etc. I'm going to replace quite a bit of seals and rubber on the CD which I've already priced. Betting the seals, rubber etc cost more than the paint material and labor...

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yes, I had to drop the headliner in order to reach the bolts that keep the rails secured to the roof. I stripped out the interior to do a proper paint (not to see new and old paint lines) and to be able to clean out the interior properly. Also had to purchase new seals for the rails where it meets the roof. I learned the rear most seal was NLA, so I reused mine as it was still good.

Wagon-specific rubber are also expensive. Rear door seals and hatch seals were a couple hundred per seal. Don't remember the exact cost, and don't want to remember... but they're written down somewhere.

You'll find that coupe seals are no bargain compared to sedans. I would recommend not messing with complete removal of all parts like I did.... you'll find parts that can break on re-install. Coupe parts being difficult to find and expensive, you may regret it if not careful.
oldmako, delfisi and cBlonde300D like this.

1980 Mercedes 280TE AMG
1990 Mercedes 560SEL with AMG parts modifications
1991 Mercedes 190E AMG with Brabus 4-cyl M102 2.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in