Date registered: Oct 2017
Vehicle: 1984 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter View Post
A non-turbo air filter which is about 1.5 inches shorter was installed in the TD. No idea how long it was run with it.
have you checked the turbo to see if it got chewed up from the actual "fresh air intake"? I think if the snow flies a lot this winter, and I'm not out skiing, I may take off the turbo and intake manifold to rebuild and clean it up. I saw a post about that in the "what did you do to your w123" not too long ago, and I am curious to see what mine looks like also. as long as I don't break off any bolts, or break anything else, it cant hurt???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
There are some things that are best left unknown. This is one of them.

The only inspection I did on the turbo was to pinch the shaft with my finger and thumb to wiggle feeling for looseness.

If there is no need to take yours apart, why bother?

One tip that I have for removing bolts is that if it is tight after being unseated, reverse direction and tighten then reverse again. Repeat until it feels lose and/or the bolt is out.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 AM
~PERMA BANNED~

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
The chances of a bolt breaking are very slim. We aren't talking about GM cars here, Mercedes used quality hardware.
I just pulled manifolds off two 1979 300SD's today. Not a single hiccup from either. Try that with any 70's American car...or even an early 2000's American car! You'll need penetrating oil and a torch to get most of the exhaust hardware loose (if it doesn't just snap off)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
There are some things that are best left unknown. This is one of them.

The only inspection I did on the turbo was to pinch the shaft with my finger and thumb to wiggle feeling for looseness.

If there is no need to take yours apart, why bother?

One tip that I have for removing bolts is that if it is tight after being unseated, reverse direction and tighten then reverse again. Repeat until it feels lose and/or the bolt is out.
in a light hearted, non inflammatory tone,

look at post#192 in what did you do to your W123 today. I have that kind of curiosity. I haven't tried to rebuilt a turbo yet... so, if it is cold, and the snow is deep for a while, and I'm not out skiing, or snowshoeing/hiking/snow camping, flying an airplane, training for a triathlon, or anything else,,,, I am curious, I like to take things apart and see if I can put it back together without too many extra parts left over. if the car does 0-60 in 19.95 seconds instead of 20 seconds, accounting for a standard deviation of 2 seconds, I win, and it takes my mind off of medical billing and insurance paperwork. I am not an expert of auto mechanics. I have had the opportunity while in school with a starving student budget and millionaire ideas had some Mercedes, BMW's, Porsches, and of course Ducati's. which necessitated that I sourced parts from the bone yard, or other used part suppliers, and learn how to fix/keep them running on my own. now, I have alternate transportation, and do not have to rely on the W123 as my primary vehicle, and it is fun to teach my kids how to turn a wrench.
PlaneCrazy likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcedinduction View Post
The chances of a bolt breaking are very slim. We aren't talking about GM cars here, Mercedes used quality hardware.
I just pulled manifolds off two 1979 300SD's today. Not a single hiccup from either. Try that with any 70's American car...or even an early 2000's American car! You'll need penetrating oil and a torch to get most of the exhaust hardware loose (if it doesn't just snap off)!
in my limited abilities and experience, I have had the opportunity to break bolts in several of the European marques. I wouldn't want to exclude this car from the list. I replaced an auto transmission in a 1970's 240d back when I was in school, and found some broken bolts on the car at the bone yard that we sourced the replacement transmission from, that at least 15-20 years ago. I have worked on a few older GM vehicles including a 71 C20 with a 400 big block, more recently the dodge brand, and personally noticed the same frequency of metal failure/breaking bolts. maybe I'm not patient enough with the penetrating oil. or rust and metal breakdown is nondiscriminatory. I will of course use new bolts/nuts/washers/gaskets with re-assembly and may get at thread tool to make sure the holes are acceptable.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh84300d View Post
in a light hearted, non inflammatory tone,

look at post#192 in what did you do to your W123 today. I have that kind o
f curiosity. I haven't tried to rebuilt a turbo yet... so, if it is cold, and the snow is deep for a while, and I'm not out skiing, or snowshoeing/hiking/snow camping, flying an airplane, training for a triathlon, or anything else,,,, I am curious, I like to take things apart and see if I can put it back together without too many extra parts left over. if the car does 0-60 in 19.95 seconds instead of 20 seconds, accounting for a standard deviation of 2 seconds, I win, and it takes my mind off of medical billing and insurance paperwork. I am not an expert of auto mechanics. I have had the opportunity while in school with a starving student budget and millionaire ideas had some Mercedes, BMW's, Porsches, and of course Ducati's. which necessitated that I sourced parts from the bone yard, or other used part suppliers, and learn how to fix/keep them running on my own. now, I have alternate transportation, and do not have to rely on the W123 as my primary vehicle, and it is fun to teach my kids how to turn a wrench.
Nice, detailed well thought answer. Curiosity is good. Teaching children is good. Must be nice to have elective projects.

I have a spare turbo. If you are interested, PM me. We live in the same corner of the country.
PlaneCrazy likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Nice, detailed well thought answer. Curiosity is good. Teaching children is good. Must be nice to have elective projects.

I have a spare turbo. If you are interested, PM me. We live in the same corner of the country.
thank you, I will certainly keep that in mind. let me know if you are ever out this way. I bought the car as a "commuter", we have two other turbo diesel vehicles that get half of the mpg and are not nearly as comfortable, but are much better in inclement weather. I also bought this car because it is at the bottom of the depreciation curve, and will always be worth what I paid for it if it runs well, and shouldn't cost as much to keep running as my previous vehicles were depreciating each year, so I have more money for other toys.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300DT Sedan W123, 617.952
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg92 View Post
That is a very common mistake when someone inexperienced or distracted removes the air filter housing to replace the mounts or the battery. Itís quite a challenge to line up everything, especially the plastic elbow between the housing and the turbo. So, is very easy to let that line disconnected.
I converted that hard line to a hard rubber flex line with hose clamps at each end. Works well, doesnt leak oil and I donít have to fret over perfect alignment when I reinstall the air cleaner housing.
luisg92 likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg92 View Post
That is a very common mistake when someone inexperienced or distracted removes the air filter housing to replace the mounts or the battery. Itís quite a challenge to line up everything, especially the plastic elbow between the housing and the turbo. So, is very easy to let that line disconnected.
When removing the air filter I find it best to leave the top clamp for the u-tube tight on the filter housing and loosen the clamp on the turbo. When putting the housing back on start by putting the u-tube on the turbo. Then reach under the housing with your left hand to feel for alignment of the drain line to the boss on the housing. Then wiggle the housing around to get the three screws into their holes. Make sure that the u-tube is seated properly on the turbo and you can figure out the rest.
luisg92 likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 1975 300D, 1991 2.5D
Garage
OK , so this happened several years ago , and I have finally got over it ..................

The PO had an inspiration , he thought he knew better than the Benz engineers did . So he modified the engine oil pump to "high volume" .

I drove the car for a short while when the engine seized !!

Inspection revealed the modification had failed resulting in broken oil pump drive , burned crank and run bearings . Cost $$$$ to fix .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in