BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 78/82 300D
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LCA Bushings???

I have an issue, and it is upsetting me! Just lost a tire

I've replaced the upper control arms and all associated bushing oh say three years ago...and all tie rods/drag but the idler arm about seven years ago..lower ball joint boots aren't tore and no noise from the bearing...

I can't figure out what caused this wear? The outside edge has wear but I think because of the sever inner wear the outside is just going along? The only thing I can think is LCA?? I want to say it happened in a few weeks too...

I grab the tire and nothing moves behind, the tire is a bit lose grabbed at say 3 n 9 but I think its normal movement?

Any thoughts before I tear into the LCA? I was waiting to tackle those until I got a compressor and could do it all in one shot buutttt as you can see

LCA Bushings???-20171103_150430.jpg

"Take me to church"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Did you check your alignment? Excessive toe out will cause RAPID inner tire wear. Under inflation of tires can cause both edges to wear out faster.

Last edited by 260e crusier; 11-03-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Nope I didn't...

This happened fast! I just changed my coolant last weekend and there wasn't any issues plus I rotated the tires 5k ago...also just filled all the tires to possible two weeks ago...

I drive the car 100 miles a day sometimes 5 days a week, so I am always inspecting crap so I don't get stranded. The LCA bushings are rotted and original too...hints my conclusion...

Not easy to get an alignment out here in the sticks on a Mercedes....never had an issue till I moved out here...

"Take me to church"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1981 280E, 1995 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Could be a loose steering box. Makes it impossible to align.

Wherever you go, there you are.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post

Not easy to get an alignment out here in the sticks on a Mercedes....never had an issue till I moved out here...
You should have the alignment check and see if things are within spec. Any shop should be able to adjust the toe if necessary.

As mentioned, excessive toe out can cause very rapid tire wear on the inside of the tire.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Way View Post
Could be a loose steering box. Makes it impossible to align.
I was wondering that, but wouldn't that cause wear to both tires? The passenger is still perfect...

"Take me to church"

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbodiesel (US Spec)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've replaced the upper control arms and all associated bushing oh say three years ago...and all tie rods/drag but the idler arm about seven years ago..
What is the brand of the replacement parts you used ? How many miles have you driven after replacing them? Have you hit a pothole recently?

Some aftermarket parts donít last as long the originals and 7 years is a long time for most suspension components. Sometimes you can have a bad tie rod and not notice it while driving.

Quote:
lower ball joint boots aren't tore
They can be worn out even if they have grease inside. Have you tried to use a pry bar to see if there is vertical play on the ball joints?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 260e crusier View Post
You should have the alignment check and see if things are within spec. Any shop should be able to adjust the toe if necessary.

As mentioned, excessive toe out can cause very rapid tire wear on the inside of the tire.
Yeah I have a shop that did an alignment in the next town over on the 78 when no one else would....I figured Monday I will stop in and say "hey you guys have seen more worn tires then me, whats your opinion?"

What is just odd, is the wear is only to half the tire on the inner....just strange....

"Take me to church"

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
From what i see there is a bit of an under inflation issue but the looking at the inside of the tread you cab see a pattern where the excess wear starts part way around the circumference of the tire and gets heaviest at the patch where the cords are poking out, it tells me your tire is out of round, possibly a belt starting to let go which can be caused by running tires under inflated or hitting a pothole.
Now this is just my thoughts and not necessarily fact in this case but the very heavy wear spot is an indicator.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg92 View Post
What is the brand of the replacement parts you used ? How many miles have you driven after replacing them? Have you hit a pothole recently?

Some aftermarket parts donít last as long the originals and 7 years is a long time for most suspension components. Sometimes you can have a bad tie rod and not notice it while driving.

They can be worn out even if they have grease inside. Have you tried to use a pry bar to see if there is vertical play on the ball joints?
The UCA's were lemforder....hmm can't even say how many miles, they were put on two years ago last month..the tie rods were URO, yeah I know horrible! But these were bought years n years ago before the URO we know now..drag link wasn't though...No pot holes that I can think of, usually stay clear of that stuff...there was a horrible large sped bump type patch put on the highway that I couldn't avoid a lot of times...

God I know! Its horrible, even if you buy genuine, it won't last

Yeah I was talking to a neighbor who was telling me his looked fine too. I will go try the pry bar trick, was going to read on how to check them...

"Take me to church"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in