1984 300cd just purchased, what do you think? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1984 300cd just purchased, what do you think?

So, I just won this auction: 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300-Series 2 door coupe | eBay

1984 300cd
145k miles
$12,500

From what I have heard from the seller, it is a no rust 300cd, which was my main worry. The only thing that he said regarding flaws was the intermittent radio. I am as inexperienced (yet excited) as it comes with the benz 300 models. I have done a lot of research in the past few months, trying to gather as much information as I can. If any of you guys who have experience with buying a 300 model (be it a cd,d,td), would you mind taking a look at the page I listed above, and tell me if you see any obvious red flags that I am just blindly missing? I did not see the vehicle myself, as I am in AL and couldn't travel to LA before the auction ended. Did I get a good deal? I would have liked to have it inspected before purchasing, so no need to tell me things like that. Anyways, I am excited, and look forward to being on this forum from here on out.

Cheers,

Nic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 78/82 300D
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
12.5k!

You haven't personally seen the car....

The photos are smaller then my phone screen and I can't zoom in to see any details...

Not one photo of the under carriage, front suspension or even tire tried...

NUTS!!!

I "think" I see cracks in the windscreen gaskets, brake fluid is dark, door striker are bad and to much amor all to shine up the engine...

No way!!

Though now adays, people are paying insane amounts for cars..

"Take me to church"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Looks like a well cared for W123, but that price is ridiculous in my opinion. And if you are paying that much for one of these W123's it better have ALL of the service records and better have absolutely no rust. I bet the owner believes there isn't any rust, but you never know with these cars. Rust is easily hidden on this chassis and unless you know what you are doing, you will think it is rust free. Too much of a gamble buying a car online, especially at that absurd price. If you hold out you can pick one of these up in similar condition for half the cost. This is the kind of thing you post about before buying, not after you have won the bid. Sorry for sounding so negative.
Forcedinduction and cooljjay like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 PM
~PERMA BANNED~

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
The price is absolutely absurd for not inspecting the car in person first or paying a third party to inspect it.
The pictures are too small and the seller dumped a bucket of tire shine in the engine bay.
Good looking car otherwise. I'd put it around $8-10k.

And Mercedes made 15,509 300CD.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1985 300CD
Garage
The car doesnít look too bad from the pictures, it looks like they got a dash cover on it, that almost certainly indicates thereís a cracks the dash. The good news it does look a like it has leather interior, which is a bit of a rare option for those cars, know my past experience of buying these all Benz, maintenance history is a big plus and hopefully someone has keep keep up on all the maintenance. If you can do the work yourself one of these cars can be a lot of fun and rewarding, however if you have to go to a garage to do it for you, it can get very expensive very quick.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbodiesel (US Spec)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
It looks very nice. Cosmetically, the only thing that lets this thing down is the coolant reservoir. It looks dark and faded, but apart from that, it looks fantastic. Everything looks complete and nice.
As for the price, I normally see coupes going for around that money in this condition, at least in Hemmings and ebay. Probably you can get them cheaper from other sources, but usually have higher millage. Also, who cares how much you paid for it, itís your money.

Not wanting to create controversy, I think that paying a considerable amount of money for a car like this is not exactly bad. When you paid a good chunk of hard earned money for something, you appreciate and care more about it. Normally when people get this sort of car for cheap, they donít take care of it because is a cheap car and they can buy another one for peanuts all day long and kill one after the other and that is how one day they become extinctÖ

Anyway, what I would recommend you is right after receive the car, is to check all fluids and make sure they were replaced and are correct. You donít want something like green coolant. Also put the car on a lift and inspect carefully all suspension components, exhaust and hangers, fluid leaks, drive shaft flex disc and carrier bearing, axle boots, and the condition of the undercoating.

If you see any cracks in the undercoating, you will have to peel it and clean any surface rust that may be growing there. Rust hides underneath it and when you realize, the car is all rusted.

If you see cracks in the rubber components of the drive shaft or axle boots, you have to replace it right away, otherwise catastrophic damage will occur.

Just, bear in mind that you bought a car that is 33 years old. Things can and will go wrong with it from time to time. You have to expect that. The good thing is that there are lots of resources to fix anything.

Good luck with it. I hope it makes you happy.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Very nice. You're going to love it.

The prices for mint coupes has been going up lately. At least, it seems that way to me. As for what you paid, there was at least one other guy willing to go that high. Good luck with it.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:17 AM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
I think you did fine, don't give much credence to the naysayers. Most are jealous and can't afford a nice car like this, and are driving basically parts cars. They don't know what a nice car cost and only have the POS that they have to go by. Their car breaks down constantly, because it is basically used up, high mileage, and under maintained. They don't know how to fix, or parts cost more than what they paid for the car.
You will be fine with a great coupe and it will be a great investment that you can drive! In a few years you will wish you got another one for such a low price! Remember it was only about 7 years ago when you could pick up a long hood Porsche 911S in excellent condition for about $45k. Today the same car will cost you about $225k! These are climbing in value if in the condition like yours. They will only go up, its the POS cars that will stay the same or go down in value.
I would not sell my coupe for less than $20k or my wagon for less than $30k. as they are in excellent condition and would drive them across country with no issues or worries. Post some photos when you get it home!

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses all. I take no offense to the negative responses, as I had similar thoughts and immediate regrets. After speaking with the seller, and the mechanic who serviced the car in the past, I feel better. There are small cracks near the left speaker, which I assumed due to the dash pad. Not ideal, wish it wasnt the case, but I appreciated the honesty. Makes me feel more confident in the zero rust underneath. The fact that it is a LA car (yes I know it's not always the case) helps my high hopes for that being true. And the next thing is finding a trustworthy benz mechanic in Birmingham, AL to work with. I'm sure there's threads to find one on the forums.

I appreciate any and all advice for when I get the car. Thanks for those who have already posted.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Nice CD, once it arrives a good inspection, full fluid change and brake system flush would give you a good starting point for your time with the car.
Good luck and happy motoring with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in