1984 300cd just purchased, what do you think? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
The first time the car is jacked up using the jack points, the undercoating is scuffed to the point where water can get to the metal. I don't think seeing a tiny amount of surface rust surrounding them is a deal breaker, provided that the rest of the cars undercarriage is essentially rust free.

When I was talking to the guy on the phone (pre-purchase) about rust he said, only on the tail-pipe. I figured he was lying. I took my creeper and a flashlight for the inspection and he was right. My jack-points looked very similar to yours.

I sent your seller an email a week or so before asking about dash cracks. My assumption was that it was cracked. Why else show it with the cover on? He responded promptly and said that it was cracked. I assumed that my question and his answer would appear in the bid on eBay and that others would be able to see it. This used to be the way eBay worked. I don't know if that's still the case.

I think people put too much emphasis on receipts. Sure they're great to have but I've seen a lot of shitty cars with impressive piles of paper. I'm not buying receipts, I'm buying the car.

My car came with zero receipts. But, it did come with a thoroughly filled out maintenance booklet that detailed regular oil, brake fluid and coolant changes along with valve adjustments. Most of them done by one MB dealership.

I rolled the dice.

I've kept up with the oil, coolant and valves. The brake fluid needs to be done.

Were I buying the car as an investment vehicle, I might have balked. I bought it to wail on, up and down the interstate for my job. So, I'm not too concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
You don't have to go through with the sale if you are uncomfortable. Ebay car sales are not legally binding. And you can get your deposit back if you paid through ebay/paypal. 100% of it back. All of these questions that you are asking, you should have asked the seller and gotten the answers to before bidding. This is a lack of due diligence on your part. I would not blame the seller, unless he intentionally lied about something. If you decide to not go through with the sale, you will have wasted the seller's time and you should offer him some money for the trouble. It would be the classy and decent thing to do. (That is, if the seller did not intentionally lie and this was a failure on your part for not asking the essential and important questions beforehand).

With that said here are my golden rules,

1. NEVER fall in love with a car. If you miss one, there are literally a million more to choose from.
2. NEVER buy a car without seeing. What may be "excellent" in the seller's eyes, might be mediocre in your eyes. This doesn't mean that the seller is being dishonest. People have different standards.
3. NEVER buy a car without having it checked by a trusted mechanic.
4. NEVER assume. Ask questions and ask for more pictures.
5. If you have that feeling that something might not be right, ALWAYS trust your gut feeling. Gut feelings are right most of the time.
6. Take your time when purchasing a car.
7. When looking for a car, it is a good idea to join a forum like this and learn everything about the make, model, and year before buying or bidding.

Hope my golden rules help you in your future car purchase endeavors.
oldmako likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
I got on a plane once to buy a car that a friend described in absolutely glowing terms. 30 plus photo's showed it to be excellent as well.

Tilt.

I made an offer based on the cars actual, not their perceived condition. They scoffed as though I had insulted them. I walked, happily away.
frank smith and C_R like this.

Last edited by oldmako; 10-12-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Without a doubt I did not do my due diligence. I accept that fully. The one $100 raise ended up clearing the reserve. 90% chance I will go through with it, and will reimburse the $100 ebay posting fee if for some reason dont. my gut is not screaming at me. For one, he has appeared to be honest, and his feedback all says the same. Do i believe he put $15k in it like he said? Eh, hard time believing that. With my concerns for rust, he was nice enough to send more pictures of the undercarraige. I attached them. To me, and a mechanic buddy of mine, they looked fine. The body was painted clearly, which for a 30 yr old car, I already expected that. It appears to have been done properly. Tell me what you all think of the pictures, and what other concerns is left (yes I know there are plenty).

He told me the car has been sitting for 2 weeks, but starts up clean every time hes checked it. I told him to drive her around, like, today! And he is sending me a video of start-up today he said, which I'm very much looking forward to. My weeby-jeeby level has dropped immensely, which I'm happy about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48938_1507757663557.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2287577   Click image for larger version

Name:	48935_1507757698762.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2287601   Click image for larger version

Name:	48934_1507757709049.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2287609   Click image for larger version

Name:	48937_1507757812778.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2287633   Click image for larger version

Name:	48933_1507757840479.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2287641  

Name:	48932_1507757851748.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2287649   Click image for larger version

Name:	48931_1507757864719.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2287657   Click image for larger version

Name:	48930_1507757874819.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2287665   Click image for larger version

Name:	48929_1507757886708.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2287673  
Attached Images

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
More pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48928_1507757938388.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2287681   Click image for larger version

Name:	48927_1507757950375.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2287689   Click image for larger version

Name:	48926_1507757964588.jpeg
Views:	27
ID:	2287697   Click image for larger version

Name:	48926_1507757981514.jpeg
Views:	25
ID:	2287705   Click image for larger version

Name:	48925_1507757996054.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2287713  

Name:	48923_1507758011401.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2287721   Click image for larger version

Name:	48922_1507758038791.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2287729   Click image for larger version

Name:	48857_1507758059357.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2287737   Click image for larger version

Name:	48856_1507758074033.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2287745  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM
VON
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Stop worrying and get the car and enjoy it! The small rust around the chips near the jack tubes is on all of them. Both my cars were the same way. Nothing a small wire brush and some paint won't fix. Like I said, if you were to see the cars of the guys picking it apart you would most likely bust out laughing. I'm sure the car they got for $1500 or less are real POS. Like I said they are just jealous of your great find!

Von
Fairport, NY
1973 Unimog 416 Doka
1980 Unimog 416 Doka
1984 Euro 280CE w/diesel conversion
1985 300TD Estate wagon
(I really need to stop buying these things!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VON View Post
Stop worrying and get the car and enjoy it! The small rust around the chips near the jack tubes is on all of them. Both my cars were the same way. Nothing a small wire brush and some paint won't fix. Like I said, if you were to see the cars of the guys picking it apart you would most likely bust out laughing. I'm sure the car they got for $1500 or less are real POS. Like I said they are just jealous of your great find!
Jeez you don't have to act so hostile here. There are some valid concerns when buying a car online that should be addressed if one has have half a brain. Some of us have commented these concerns, and it isn't just "all good" you have to be careful especially when spending a decent chunk of cash (12.5k)
C_R likes this.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Both have good points. Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to start any argument. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions, and my feelings dwell on both sides of the fence. I think I found a decent deal, for what I wanted. Mostly that being rust free car that was well taken care of. Problem lied in that I didnt leave myself appropriate time to do my "due diligence".

Ive been a hawk on these forums enough recently to realize that these cars will need maintenance. I found a car that has less problems potentially than some others that have been fixed up and made to run reliably (with care).

Apologies if I started something of a flame war, but I appreciate the differing opinions. Im showing you all, the more experienced people here, the pictures and intel I have, to get alternate opinions. For that, I thank you.

Cheers
C_R and Smorrow like this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Minopoli View Post
Both have good points. Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to start any argument. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions, and my feelings dwell on both sides of the fence. I think I found a decent deal, for what I wanted. Mostly that being rust free car that was well taken care of. Problem lied in that I didnt leave myself appropriate time to do my "due diligence".

Ive been a hawk on these forums enough recently to realize that these cars will need maintenance. I found a car that has less problems potentially than some others that have been fixed up and made to run reliably (with care).

Apologies if I started something of a flame war, but I appreciate the differing opinions. Im showing you all, the more experienced people here, the pictures and intel I have, to get alternate opinions. For that, I thank you.

Cheers
Nicholas,
If you are comfortable with your purchase, then that's awesome. Take a deep breath and be excited and get ready to enjoy the new ride. Put everything else out of your mind. Little things will come up along the way but you'll be able to tackle them as they come up. This is a great forum and people are very willing and eager to help. These cars are also dirt cheap to maintain.
I bought a car which was in excellent mechanical condition with $30,000 worth of maintenance receipts, a Euro. My cars aesthetics left a lot to be desired however. but there was no rust. She was very solid. But I knew exactly what I was getting myself into and actually wanted to do a restoration. I am a novice, definitely not a car guy. I did everything myself and it was my first time doing anything like that and I documented it in this thread. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...-exterior.html

If I can do it, so can you. Go through the above thread when you have some time.

Going to take the liberty to recommend your go to site for ordering any parts. FCP EURO. (For me, there will never be a reason to order from any other vendor or website) I found out about this site recently when I bought my BMW and someone on that forum recommended them. Ordered complete brakes, Akebono pads, Zimmermann rotors. Very satisfied with that company. (I am not affiliated with them in any way.) Look below.

Look here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetim...SACEgITKPD_BwE

Q: Does this really include every part you sell?
A: Yes, our lifetime replacement covers every single product we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, spark plugs, gaskets, rotors, filters, belts, wiper blades, etc. This covers every part across every brand, including OE, OEM, genuine, performance, aftermarket, and re-manufactured parts.

Returning Fluids?
Please remember to include the fluids you purchased from us in their appropriate bottles. We don't accept empty bottles or fluids/parts that were not purchased from FCP Euro.

Also lifetime for fluids. You can send your used oil and get new oil, new oil filter kit, etc. (Not something that I would do, too cumbersome to keep the original bottles. But just goes to show what an awesome company this is. Great for people who have to watch every penny).

Imagine never having to pay twice for a maintenance item ever again, never having to buy wipers, rotors, brake pads, belts, etc.
I haven't done a return yet so can't say anything about the return and replacement process or the lifetime warranty. My car gets driven about 300 miles a year.

I don't keep my cars long, but I imagine that this company would be gold for those who keep their cars for a very long time or drive their cars a lot and for those who can keep the original packaging for fluids.

Wish I had known about this company when I was restoring my classic.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well that's a great company it seems. Thank you! Something tells me ill have to use it at some point. Took a look at your thread too, good looking car you restored! One of the things I look forward to is understanding a vehicle's mechanics more intimately. From the diy tutorials it really does seem like a good starting point. Thought everyone was just expert mechanics at first
C_R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in