1984 300cd just purchased, what do you think? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
I bought a coupe in similar (excellent) condition, tho with 155,000 miles two years ago. Prior to that, and since then I've been watching them on Ebay. I don't think what you paid is an anomaly as I have seen many at higher levels. Now, I don't know if those cars actually SOLD for those prices as eBay prices can be wonky.

But, I think I did OK. I think you did as well. As VON said, there's a lot of old junk out there which makes prices seem high. But, consider what it would take to find a rust free car in average shape and to then bring it up to this standard. A lot.

I am pretty certain that my car has been painted but I am not positive. The paint is in phenomenal condition for a 32 year old car so that makes me skeptical. And if it was painted, it was nearly disassembled and taken down to bare metal. There is zero evidence (ie overspray on window gaskets and trim, ridges in door jambs, etc) that I can see except for one tiny tiny dot on a fender. That dot would have been the result of an oily contaminant in the gun as the car was being sprayed. I doubt it left the factory like that.

My point is, that kind of quality paint-job would cost thousands of dollars. Put that on a decent 5K coupe and you're quickly into the kind of money you paid for your car.

My buddy raised his eyebrows when I told him what I paid (8K) for mine. But, every time I look at it, and every time I drive it I know that its worth that to me. I believe that I could sell it for a profit, or at least break even. I have no plans to sell this car. I absolutely love it.

Keep watching eBay and Bring a Trailer etc. I think you'll see your price rationalized over the next year or two.

Enjoy your new coupe.
innovation560 likes this.

Last edited by oldmako; 10-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 1981 240D
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I had a number of folks weigh in on my recent purchase mainly saying it was not a great idea because it had some rust on a soon to be replaced rear quarter panel, and sure there is some additional rust scattered about, but it was worth it to me - if you plan on driving it into a deep grave and not reselling it, makes no difference does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Beautiful car. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1981 280E, 1995 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I was surprised at the price but looking at the pics it seems like a good value. Maybe a crack in the dash, but a nicely detailed car. Hard to believe that the kind of effort required to have that level of detail would not include mechanical maintenance. Good luck with it!

Wherever you go, there you are.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Where to begin...

Prices for the coupes are all over the board and I'm familiar with your seller. About 7 years ago I found a one owner 1985 Lapis Blue/Palomino leather coupe with service records located in Orange County, CA with 90,XXX miles for $5,500. I missed the car by one hour. Your seller had it on Ebay within two months and IIRC it sold for $15,XXX. Here's one I recently missed by 24 hours: 300CD Archives | German Cars For Sale Blog. I currently own two CDs a 1982 & 1985 but always looking for that 110% perfect one. High caliber original cars such as the OP seemingly purchased simply do not exist in our state or area for that matter.

So, for those of you in CA, FL and NY kudos to you for your ability to pick these babies up at Estate Sales for $3,000-$5,000. For the rest of us that have to buy from the flippers or higher priced advertised examples it's just the luck of the draw. Von and OldMako are spot on. There are so few really really good 123s running around out there in general these days. And sure you can find one for $5,000 but at the end of the day you will have $8,000-$10,000 in it. Been there done that!

One side of my family uses Birmingham Benz for service work. Great mechanic and knows these old Benzes. The other side of the family stayed with Crown for service after purchase. There are probably other good mechanics out there today as well. Are you planning to use a mechanic because of perceived lack of mechanical ability or lack of time?
Hopefully, you are too busy doing many other activites in your city/area: eating at one of Frank Stitt's many fine establishments, partaking at Dram's in their fine Bourbon selection, crab cakes at Fox Valley, jogging on the Mountain Brook/Lakeshore walking trail to take in all of the female eye candy home from UA, relaxing at your Lake Martin or Alys Beach home!

Make sure to call the mechanic back and offer to pay him to turn over the service records if they aren't with the car. Chances are he will send them at no charge. Been there done that as well...
VON likes this.

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Innovation560, great read. No, I am not enjoying most of those things currently. Though I will splurge on good food every so often, I haven't the time, money, or lakehouse. I simply want a reliable car, and currently am going back and forth with the seller. He says he had work done on new boots, bushings, and a few other things, but no receipts because he paid cash. First sketchy thing. Second was that the dash has cracks in it, which he was honest about when I asked him-just not forthright in his advertising. How big of a deal would that be to yall? The third is rust concern. I will happily pay the 12.5k if the zero rust is guaranteed. But so far he has sent me 3 pictures. I attached them, and tell me if you think those don't look like they've been treated from rust. If Im wrong, then great. But I'm not just skeptical, and even told him that between those 3 concerns, he needs to show me more pictures before I give him the rest of the 12.5k and have it shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48871_1507656113734.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2286417   Click image for larger version

Name:	48870_1507656127290.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	2286425  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh, and I intend to read and learn to work on the car myself. The benz tech will for immediate inspection, until I can learn adequately myself.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300DT Sedan W123, 617.952
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's hard to tell if the car was a good deal or not. It cannot be judged by any of us. After all we haven't seen it either. If you simply wanted a reliable car, you should have bought a Camry. You are going to be doing maintenance a lot more than you think. Also, you may get frustrated with the quirkiness of the Benz, like vacuum locks that sometimes don't work, low (and I mean LOW) acceleration, lack of availability of genuine MB parts, etc. If you decide to pay the seller the remainder and take it home, embrace it. It's yours now.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Minopoli View Post
Innovation560, great read. No, I am not enjoying most of those things currently. Though I will splurge on good food every so often, I haven't the time, money, or lakehouse. I simply want a reliable car, and currently am going back and forth with the seller. He says he had work done on new boots, bushings, and a few other things, but no receipts because he paid cash. First sketchy thing. Second was that the dash has cracks in it, which he was honest about when I asked him-just not forthright in his advertising. How big of a deal would that be to yall? The third is rust concern. I will happily pay the 12.5k if the zero rust is guaranteed. But so far he has sent me 3 pictures. I attached them, and tell me if you think those don't look like they've been treated from rust. If Im wrong, then great. But I'm not just skeptical, and even told him that between those 3 concerns, he needs to show me more pictures before I give him the rest of the 12.5k and have it shipped.
The jack points certainly look suspect to me.

However, before condemning 100%, I would have to inspect in person.

'10 Ford Expedition 86K
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
One more item that many will probably disagree with me on and that is axles should have been replaced.

IMO when the axle boots are shot, time to replace axles especially if this is going to be a DD or long term hold. OEM axles are anywhere from $337 to $350/ea and that's if you can find them. Rebuilt axles are $125/ea depending on the supplier and then again I think all the "rebuilders" do is slap on new boots and paint.

'10 Ford Expedition 86K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in