post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Picked up a beautiful Euro 300d from its original owner

I was checking out Craigslist late at night a few weeks back when I stumbled upon this beautiful Euro 300d. I ended up emailing whoever posted the ad requesting for their phone number. The following morning I was refreshing my email nonstop, knowing at what a rare car I had found. At 9:30 am I received an email from Udo (son of the owner). He emailed me back saying that I was not the first to inquire about the car, and people as far away as Chicago were messaging him. In the email, he had left his phone number. Within seconds I was dialing, at 9:31, praying to God that I could be the first to look at the car. I ended up talking with him for a bit while trying to remain calm. I essentially pleaded with him so that I could be the first person to look at the car.

My girlfriend and my father accompanied me the very next day on a road trip just 3 hours south of where we live to Sonora. It was quite the drive over, and the entire time I was nervous. We had the asking price in cash and I was feeling very pessimistic for some reason. I felt that the car could in no way be priced this low and be in this good of condition. We were asked to show up at noon, and we did.

We arrived at 12:01. I just want to point out that it seems like everything in this story fell into place so perfectly down to the exact minute of every encounter. Anyways, we approached the driveway and it was a very steep paved driveway. We were climbing in first gear in my 300d. At the top sat the most beautiful W123 I have ever laid my eyes on, and we parked right next to it. I got out of my car. My heart was pounding. I couldn’t believe the condition it was in! The windows were all unrolled and I was peering inside of the car. The interior looked brand new! The entire car looked brand new! I couldn’t believe my eyes. The owner and her son were still inside the house at this point, not knowing that we had arrived. I looked the car over for a few minutes in disbelief.

I knocked on the door and a lady came to it. She was about 4’ 5” and looked as if she weighed 85lbs. She introduced herself as Sylvia, and I shook her hand, carefully. Her youngest son, Stefan, ended up coming to the door as well. I shook his hand too. My father and girlfriend exchanged greetings with both of them. We all gathered around the red W123. The lady was very sweet, and she was 84 years old. Her English was not so good, and she was speaking German to her son the majority of the time. I looked at the car for a few more minutes. I had already decided on purchasing it the moment I laid eyes on it however.

Sylvia came up to me and said in a very thick German accent and said “everything works.” I almost started tearing up, she was so adorable. The thought of her having to sell her car after all these years was heart breaking. I imagined her and her husband choosing the color and all of the features way back in ’84. It was a very touching moment, and I will never forget it.

I ended up turning to Sylvia and her son and told them I will take the car. I gave the full asking price. I shook Sylvia’s hand one last time and assured her that I would take care of her car. We filled out paperwork and we were on our way. My dad hopped in my ’82 and fired it up. My girlfriend and I hopped in the newly acquired ’84 and fired it up. We drove away at 12:15 pm, we had only been there 14 minutes. I could see Stefan and Sylvia watching us depart in the rear view mirror. It was truly a sad experience, but I will give the car the best life that I can.

The color is called English red, it looks a slight bit of orange at times. The pictures are almost spot on with the color.
504 Englischrot (English Red)

This is the day after we bought the car, exactly how we found it:

Strangely, some traditional housing carpet was cut and placed in order to protect the factory carpet underneath.

Even the wind laces, which usually fray, were all still intact and holding up well:

Part of the import paperwork:

The entire service history came with the car, as well as the import paperwork. Every feature on the car works, and it seems to be entirely original. The windshield, the rear windshield, everything is original! The USA headlights that came with the car when it was imported were included. They are also brand new, never used!

Thank you everyone for reading, I know you folks here at Benzworld can appreciate this car. Have an excellent day

Full picture album: https://imgur.com/a/kiseN
bigsky, MBCAJUN, cowboyt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Smorrow; 09-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
We've never met before, but...

...when you get a classic M-B like that...you'd damned well better take good care of it. That thing looks just about brand-new. You found a giant red ruby. That car is BEAUTIFUL.
PlaneCrazy and Smorrow like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbodiesel (US Spec)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations on your purchase. It is immaculate. You were very lucky, as well as the sellers. Is good to know they found a good buyer that knows how to take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2008 GL320 CDI 2008 ML320 CDI 1984 Euro W123 300D
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Beautiful car, good luck with it....

Dan

08 GL320 CDI
08 ML320 CDI (wife)
84 300D Euro
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Nice. Exceptionally nice.

Reminds me of the guy who walked into a Goodwill Thrift store and found a set of mint Klipsch Cornwalls for $40 bucks. Well done!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '83 W123 200 '98 E200 Kompressor (both Euro-spec., 200 in Portugal, E200 Now in Canada!), '08 B200
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I had saved this thread to read a few weeks ago...

Wow, nice find! I guess the gentleman passed away? Sad, if that's the case, but at least the car will continue to be in good hands. How many km/miles, just out of curiosity?

Paul (Paulo Santos)
Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'83 W123 200, '98 W210 E200K, '08 W245 B200
* Feel free to PM me if needed *
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smorrow View Post
I was checking out Craigslist late at night a few weeks back when I stumbled upon this beautiful Euro 300d. I ended up emailing whoever posted the ad requesting for their phone number. The following morning I was refreshing my email nonstop, knowing at what a rare car I had found. At 9:30 am I received an email from Udo (son of the owner). He emailed me back saying that I was not the first to inquire about the car, and people as far away as Chicago were messaging him. In the email, he had left his phone number. Within seconds I was dialing, at 9:31, praying to God that I could be the first to look at the car. I ended up talking with him for a bit while trying to remain calm. I essentially pleaded with him so that I could be the first person to look at the car.

My girlfriend and my father accompanied me the very next day on a road trip just 3 hours south of where we live to Sonora. It was quite the drive over, and the entire time I was nervous. We had the asking price in cash and I was feeling very pessimistic for some reason. I felt that the car could in no way be priced this low and be in this good of condition. We were asked to show up at noon, and we did.

We arrived at 12:01. I just want to point out that it seems like everything in this story fell into place so perfectly down to the exact minute of every encounter. Anyways, we approached the driveway and it was a very steep paved driveway. We were climbing in first gear in my 300d. At the top sat the most beautiful W123 I have ever laid my eyes on, and we parked right next to it. I got out of my car. My heart was pounding. I couldn’t believe the condition it was in! The windows were all unrolled and I was peering inside of the car. The interior looked brand new! The entire car looked brand new! I couldn’t believe my eyes. The owner and her son were still inside the house at this point, not knowing that we had arrived. I looked the car over for a few minutes in disbelief.

I knocked on the door and a lady came to it. She was about 4’ 5” and looked as if she weighed 85lbs. She introduced herself as Sylvia, and I shook her hand, carefully. Her youngest son, Stefan, ended up coming to the door as well. I shook his hand too. My father and girlfriend exchanged greetings with both of them. We all gathered around the red W123. The lady was very sweet, and she was 84 years old. Her English was not so good, and she was speaking German to her son the majority of the time. I looked at the car for a few more minutes. I had already decided on purchasing it the moment I laid eyes on it however.

Sylvia came up to me and said in a very thick German accent and said “everything works.” I almost started tearing up, she was so adorable. The thought of her having to sell her car after all these years was heart breaking. I imagined her and her husband choosing the color and all of the features way back in ’84. It was a very touching moment, and I will never forget it.

I ended up turning to Sylvia and her son and told them I will take the car. I gave the full asking price. I shook Sylvia’s hand one last time and assured her that I would take care of her car. We filled out paperwork and we were on our way. My dad hopped in my ’82 and fired it up. My girlfriend and I hopped in the newly acquired ’84 and fired it up. We drove away at 12:15 pm, we had only been there 14 minutes. I could see Stefan and Sylvia watching us depart in the rear view mirror. It was truly a sad experience, but I will give the car the best life that I can.

The color is called English red, it looks a slight bit of orange at times. The pictures are almost spot on with the color.
504 Englischrot (English Red)

This is the day after we bought the car, exactly how we found it:

Strangely, some traditional housing carpet was cut and placed in order to protect the factory carpet underneath.

Even the wind laces, which usually fray, were all still intact and holding up well:

Part of the import paperwork:

The entire service history came with the car, as well as the import paperwork. Every feature on the car works, and it seems to be entirely original. The windshield, the rear windshield, everything is original! The USA headlights that came with the car when it was imported were included. They are also brand new, never used!

Thank you everyone for reading, I know you folks here at Benzworld can appreciate this car. Have an excellent day

Full picture album: https://imgur.com/a/kiseN
Beautiful post, beautiful story, beautiful car. Congrats.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfsantos View Post
I had saved this thread to read a few weeks ago...

Wow, nice find! I guess the gentleman passed away? Sad, if that's the case, but at least the car will continue to be in good hands. How many km/miles, just out of curiosity?
Yes he did pass away earlier this year, quite sad indeed. They bought the car together in 1984 and for the last 33 years owned it. The car has 226k miles on it. Despite the milage, it truly looks close to brand new. They babied the heck out of this thing, and I will continue to do so. I shook Sylvia's hand before we left and distinctly remember looking her in the eyes and telling her "I will take care of this car, please don't worry."
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '83 W123 200 '98 E200 Kompressor (both Euro-spec., 200 in Portugal, E200 Now in Canada!), '08 B200
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Well, when you find a car where someone took the time to make their own carpets to protect the cars own interior, you know they cared. And I bet those seats were covered their whole life.
Smorrow likes this.

Paul (Paulo Santos)
Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'83 W123 200, '98 W210 E200K, '08 W245 B200
* Feel free to PM me if needed *
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
It's been well over a year since I've posted in this thread but I figured I would give you all a quick update on the car. I ended up driving the car just the way I bought it for a few months before deciding to give it a substantial overhaul.

The engine bay was filthy when I got the car, and probably had never been cleaned much:

Also, the previous owner had some sort of sound deadening material against the firewall which really bothered me, being the purist that I am. In August of last year, I removed the engine and transmission for maintenance reasons:

That also gave me the chance to remove the ugly sound deadening material from the firewall as well as a complete 40+ hour engine bay detail. I also installed a new hood pad:

That sort of brings us to now, and I'm currently waiting on a few more things before putting the engine and transmission back in. Every single part that I took off the engine/transmission I've polished and cleaned including every nut bolt or screw.

With that being said I'm getting ready to paint the engine block and once it's painted, I'm going to replace the rear main seal and the front crank too. After that, it is time to reassemble things.

I've got the engine on a stand, pretty stripped at the moment. But I did give it a full detail and although it is super clean, the paint is a bit too faded for my liking. So I will leave everything original other than the block's paint.

Here are just some of the parts I've taken off the car, I've also got many other boxes full of bolts and other various parts though they are all ready to go. I haven't replated any of the parts for the record and I don't plan to at the moment.

One other major thing I forgot to mention is that I removed the entire interior to detail. I spent many many hours on that process and although the interior was quite clean when I originally bought the car, it had the potential to look factory new. Being an obsessive kind of person, I figured I might as well go for it. Here are a few pictures after stripping the interior. Notice I also polished and waxed all of the interior paint, don't ask me why...

I also found a coin from Germany in the back seat from 1981 which is funny because I didn't find ANY US coins in the entire car and it has been in California for the last 33 years. The car was only in Germany from 84'-85' + time spent in production.

I, unfortunately, don't have any good pictures of the interior after I finished all of that detailing I mentioned. The car is buried in the garage at the moment and there is no way to get a good picture of the interior but did manage to get a quick picture for the sake of this update.

Instead of making new threads, I'm going to keep updating here. Anyways, that is all I have, for now, thanks for reading.

- Sonny
pfsantos, oldmako, bigsky and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in