post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 78/82 300D
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My new 300D...plus headache....

Well I bought another 300D....can't say why...since I was looking for a 300TD. This one is a 1978 300D with 147k. I seen this one pop up for really really really cheap...the problem it won't start. Figured it would be an some what easy fix, the lure was the transmission overhaul at a cost of $2059.74. So I get their, look at the body while waiting for the guy. Interior looks nice, no tares in seats, nice headliner, nice carpets with no stains, cracked dash of course, body is far, few dings...sloppy bondo repair on passenger side...looks like it never got in an accident...I then go and ask where the owner was....turns out the person on the other side is a vw mechanic...that hates mercedes He got the keys and we pop the hood and the injection pump is gone and parts laying everywhere. I was like eeeekkkk So talking with the mechanic I learn about the problems, it wouldn't start...couldn't elaborate anymore on that..he said he never started it...I then get talking more about what the problem is and why the ip has been pulled. He said that the last owner used veggie oil in it and it gummed up the ip...I was like you didn't have to pull it to fix that. He kept going on and on and on and on about how it was all gummed up and that was the problem. The owner let him do the work but didn't want him to finish it(thank god). So I have the original ip plus a used pull from a turbo that suppose to work. Besides that the car has had a ton of money poured into it. I got a folder of papers, it was taken to the dealer for repairs up to 12/6/99. The first owner only drove the car for 2 1/2 years, the second owner drove it for 30,000mi...then died..and it was garaged for 18 years...the last owner ran it on a 2 tank system with a blend of bio and veggie..It says..It then stopped running and was sold to the last owner, its now been sitting since 2004...the ip was just removed this summer. The car has had the injectors changed twice, new glow plugs, coolant flush, new vac pump, rheostat switch, ac compressor, flex disc, center barring and numerous other stuff. So after all that I couldn't pass it up.

So now I need help reassembling her, in order to find out what the real problem is...not just that it won't start...I was thinking I can just place the ip back on, as the engine was never cracked or the ip played with. Question is how do I reassemble the ip?? I have never removed one or replaced one so I don't know how to correctly reassemble it. Second...would a turbo ip even work on a non turbo?

Heres the CL pictures, I will take better in tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Last edited by cooljjay; 01-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice car cooljjay. I would have jumped on it myself. I wonder if the problem is that it won't start because it's still on the grease tank. If it is, a shot of starting fluid should get her going. Pull an injector & give it a look see & a good sniff!

My friend has been running his W126 for at least 6 yrs on a 2-tank w no issues. Yes, even in the cold winters we've had. Just longer start-up & shut-down time on D2.

Is the IP gummy? I would think the BioD would help to keep it all clean on the factory tank side, unless things got mixed up? Maybe that's all that happened!
That would be an easy fix!

Dave

Sold-1984 300D Blk, my 1st MB, 5th diesel!-Sold
1983 300SD Brown. I've got a few other projects to finish before i get to her, sitting in the garage resting!
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB300Dave View Post
Nice car cooljjay. I would have jumped on it myself. I wonder if the problem is that it won't start because it's still on the grease tank. If it is, a shot of starting fluid should get her going. Pull an injector & give it a look see & a good sniff!

My friend has been running his W126 for at least 6 yrs on a 2-tank w no issues. Yes, even in the cold winters we've had. Just longer start-up & shut-down time on D2.

Is the IP gummy? I would think the BioD would help to keep it all clean on the factory tank side, unless things got mixed up? Maybe that's all that happened!
That would be an easy fix!

Dave
Thanks. I am thinking this may be what happened too. It was dark when I was looking at it last night, so I couldn't see everything. When I was in the car I noticed extra wiring and the kick panel n stuff removed. I asked if there was veggie in the main tank, and the guy didn't know that. I looked at the ip and looking down the holes I didn't see any gummy stuff....did notice the original primer pump. My plans are to get the ip pump back on and then just run the fuel lines from a tank under the hood and see what it does. Just I've never installed a ip pump nor timed one and I doubt the mech marked the ip before he started pulling stuff. I doubt that the ip is clogged to the point of no return...and it seems like I could help heat it up with a heat gun to get things moving again worse case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Heres better photos

post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Well found out the correct way to re install the ip pump. Took a closer look at it and it indeed does have veggie oil gunk on it....open the gas tank...smells like paint thinner and old grease. Got some parts on the way. Talked to my local mech about if they could clean the ip pump for me...they said they couldn't and don't have any idea where I could have it done. He suggest just putting it on and then cranking the car, with the hard lines off and the gunk should be forced out. I have no idea how plugged the injectors are, and the tank has to come out and be cleaned. He said after I get it running, he wouldn't have a problem adjusting the timing for me. I suppose now I will head out and get a battery.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1983-2007 MB's
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Looks like a nice car that was put in dumb hands. Good thing you rescued her! Once you get the IP on and primed with fresh diesel, running it off a gas can or something to establish a baseline that the engine runs. Then work your way down the fuel lines/tank. Sounds like the tank needs to be dropped and boiled.

You planning to continue running veg/bio, or purely diesel?
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Well found out the correct way to re install the ip pump. Took a closer look at it and it indeed does have veggie oil gunk on it....open the gas tank...smells like paint thinner and old grease. Got some parts on the way. Talked to my local mech about if they could clean the ip pump for me...they said they couldn't and don't have any idea where I could have it done. He suggest just putting it on and then cranking the car, with the hard lines off and the gunk should be forced out. I have no idea how plugged the injectors are, and the tank has to come out and be cleaned. He said after I get it running, he wouldn't have a problem adjusting the timing for me. I suppose now I will head out and get a battery.
Sounds like you've got a plan. That's what I would do too. Do a Diesel Purge as well after you get it going. One thing nice about WVO, it cleans up pretty easily. It is sticky but any household cleaner will do!

1983 300SD Brown. I've got a few other projects to finish before i get to her, sitting in the garage resting!
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

BTW, besides totally diggin' your MB, what's the deal on your Dodge Dart in the background, 340 6 pac w a 4 speed? 2 dr hardtop saweet!

I think you're going to come out smelling like a rose on the W123 300D! It must be nice to be you most days!

Good luck,
Dave

post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Looks like a nice car that was put in dumb hands. Good thing you rescued her! Once you get the IP on and primed with fresh diesel, running it off a gas can or something to establish a baseline that the engine runs. Then work your way down the fuel lines/tank. Sounds like the tank needs to be dropped and boiled.

You planning to continue running veg/bio, or purely diesel?
Yep I think that is what happened, and I have to now wonder just how many other w123's suffered the same fate

Nope no more veggie, I wouldn't mind bio but I have to go to far for that. Veggie is good if your traveling the freeway alot and you have time to flush the system with bio/diesel before its parked but running to the store its to hard to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB300Dave View Post
BTW, besides totally diggin' your MB, what's the deal on your Dodge Dart in the background, 340 6 pac w a 4 speed? 2 dr hardtop saweet!

I think you're going to come out smelling like a rose on the W123 300D! It must be nice to be you most days!

Good luck,
Dave
That Dart is another one of my project cars, it was my first car and it was wrecked when I got it, hence the 300$ price...I fixed the front end and drove it as a daily driver till I got my 300D euro. It was in better shape, but I had a lady pull out in front of me and sliced the whole passenger side in half...then I hit a parked Buick showing off Its all there now and everything under the hood is either new or rebuilt, she just needs cosmetics now. It is a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger 318 auto over board to 340 stats with cam 2 bbl 8 3/4 rear...fun car but I get in big trouble with it

It is, I know I scored the 300d...I never pay over 500$ for a car....I could have gotten this one cheaper if I let him keep the other ip pump in the truck....I should have because now I know that a turbo ip won't fit a non turbo....anyone need an ip?

Well heres the update on the car. Got the battery and all the electrical works, all the windows roll up and down, sun roof opens and closes, antenna works correctly, original radio works nice(I know the speaker cones are bad), flashers work too.

I decided to do a little work while waiting for parts, stuffed rags in the open holes on the engine...so nothing would decide to make a house in there. Cleaned the hood hinge area and cleared the vents. I pulled the spin on filter off....EWWWWWW

I then decided to clean the out side of the ip....I then decided to check out the fuel pump got a new primer on its way here. Once I pulled the pump I found the no start problem....or one of them...It is froze solid, primer won't pump spring won't pop back out...I have it soaking in gas to see if that frees it up...if not I will pull the one off the turbo ip.....Now I am wondering if I should soak the ip in a 5 gal bucket of gas??? I would think the gas would eat through the veggie...but this is a whole new experience for me.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

You may have the WVO sticky stuff in the entire fuel system. Fuel lines too. You're going to have to blow them out w compressed air & acetone.

At least you now know what the problem is! Probably the fuel filter clogged first, that's why they quit driving the car in the 1st place I would bet!

This is going to be a gr8 car for you, w only 147K, right? Nice!

Good luck,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in