Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1977 Mercedes Benz 450 SEL

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Pirublues 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 1977 450 SEL with the 4.5L v8 engine. The car has about 211k Miles, but has sat approximately 15 years. I have made several attempts to start the car by changing the fuel pump and fuel filter, and I am going to drop the gas tank to have it cleaned and I am going to clean or replace the fuel injectors. If this doesn't work, I have been considering an engine swap, something more practical such as a sbc chevy 350 engine. I was wondering if anyone has swapped a v8 into their w116. If anyone has done this chevy engine swap, would it be possible to have it run on a carburetor instead of a fuel injection system, and if so, would it eliminate the need of an ecm? here are some pics of the car and the engine.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You should also clean and blow out all fuel lines, front to back, from fuel distributor to tank, and have that cleaned too.
In the old days, people used coax back to life fuel pumps by reversing polarity to back flush and get some of the crud out. Its not a permanent fix though.

Please fill out your profile (see attachment).
Daimler Benz made different versions of same model cars for different parts of the world, and to get the correct advise, location can be important.
It might help with responses too.
Cheers

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
disconnect the fuel in and fuel return from the fuel disti and connect with hose. jumper fuel pump relay and run for 10 minute.

After sitting 15 years and being 40 years old already I would suspect you need the fuel distributor and WUR rebuilt. http://www.cisflowtech.com/ is the place to go.

Remove the filter in the bottom of the tank and replace all rubber hoses in the fuel system.

#9 ·
Yes, whenever i put gasoline into the airflow sensor the car wants to start, also when i run power to the thermo-time switch directly from the battery, it wants to start. One time it did for about 5 minutes, but as soon as i gave it gas it turned off.

#11 ·
Fuel cell install would be way more difficult than cleaning the fuel lines. Plus you’ll have to route venting of fuel cell, open trunk at every fill up, lengthen the feed and return lines, access to spare tire impeded and mounting the fuel cell itself problematic will no real ‘flat’ spot in trunk.

If car won’t start with a splash of fuel, you may have a major vacuum leak that you’re not seeing.

#12 ·
The car occasionally starts when i pour gas into the airflow sensor but in order for it to start, i have to run a wire from the battery directly to the thermo-time switch. When i do this, it injects fuel and helps the car stay on, otherwise it will just turn on then die out......... My next idea was to run wires directly from the battery to the fuel pump because i am not sure if it is getting electricity, but that will have to wait until i buy a battery.................................... i was wondering if my car needs a new alternator since it killed the battery it had? I tried to recharge it but it was bad and didn't get anything after 3 hours. it was a everstart battery that i had from an old altima but i purchased the battery in February 2019, which is why i was wondering if it needs a new alternator as well, but before that, it seemed to be working because everything in the car would work, besides turning on...

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
after sitting so long you are really going to have to rebuild the entire fuel system. clean tank and lines, rebuild fuel disti and wur. new filters and fuel pump. there are no short cuts.

jumping the tts is just allowing the cold start valve to squirt more gas in, thats why it starts, but your fs is shot so that is why it wont run.

#15 ·
Many standard parts can be found at places like autohausAZ.
All the rubber bits and many other parts are best getting at an online dealer like mboemparts.com use benzworld2017 coupon for free shipping.
Join us over at w116.org and many members there can help you find NLA parts and used parts as well as help you diagnose and repair.
Fuel disti rebuild CIS Flowtech

#16 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I have been doing research on these particular parts, and it will cost a lot of money to maintain this engine which already has 211,xxx miles on the odometer. I will need various parts such as the fuel distributor and the warm up regulator which cost a high amount of money. Ultimately, i have been considering an engine swap since the Mercedes engine will cost me a lot of money to maintain. it would probably be about the same amount of money to do the engine swap as it would be to bring back to life AND maintain the high mileage engine. I have been considering a Ford 289 or 302 engine, i saw a thread on someone who did this to a w116 and a w115..
https://steemit.com/mercedes/@stevencr00k/1975-mercedes-w116-v8-conversion-the-mercstang

A 1969 Mercedes 220D W115 V8, sold by Californiaclassix.com!

A junkyard engine and transmission could be sourced easily for a low price...the only thing i am wondering is if the car would need a fuel injected engine or carburetor engine? and would it require an ECM/ECU? thank you for the advice, and any help would be appreciated. I would really like to do this engine swap because it would make the car a lot faster and as stated earlier, i would have a new engine. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks to everyone who has participated. I'll be sure to join w116.org.

#18 ·
Good luck with your swap, if you go ahead with it.

I wouldn't agree with the high cost of maintenance on the engine once running. Sounds like it's gonna cost to get it running though. But whatever path you choose, at least the old girl lives on. And you can keep the old engine stored perhaps.

#19 ·
Thank you, for now i am still going to attempt to get the original 4.5L running, maybe i can squeeze a few more miles out of it. I am going to buy all new hoses for the fuel pump assembly and maybe a new fuel pump/filter (purchased/installed a new set in 2018), drop/clean the gas tank and fuel lines, and perhaps buy or clean the fuel injectors. I will probably send the fuel distributor and warm up regulator to be rebuilt as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.