Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W116 injector seals too small for injector nozzle holder

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  plinker17722 
#1 ·
I am installing new injector seals and nozzle holders on my 1977 280 SE. All genuine Mercedes parts. I noticed that the seals do not fit tightly in to the holders. I have attached a picture of this. The old original seals seem to fit tightly in to the old holders. I worry that this can cause false air to get in to the system which ironically is what this exercise is supposed to prevent.

Has anyone changed seals/holders and noticed this? I think the seals/holders are the same on all gas engines.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The seals don't really change size after installing the injectors in to them. Still too small for the injector holder. I don't think the plastic piece you mention goes on the seal. It is also not on the original seals now. I have seen this piece on my W126, but not on the W116. Are you sure it goes on here? Still, the seal itself seems too small for the holder.

#5 ·
These are the same as my m103 the plastic part is a fixed part looks like its moulded in . Check your seals out on EBAY do some checking yourself . You have the wrong ones i am sure. I looked on ebay and thats what fit your injectors .Dont you have the old ones you removed .

#7 ·
Okay, I finished installing the new injectors, injector holders and injector seals. As mentioned earlier in this post, the seals don't fit tight in to the injector holders. However, it seems that the hold down brackets (each hold down 2 injectors) push the seals tightly in to the holders. This seals everything and no false air gets in to the system. I just took the car for a drive and this operation was an improvement.

#13 ·
Hi guys,
Sorry I haven't responded. I hate it myself if a thread is not completed. The rubber grommets do not have the plastic cap on them originally. I have only seen this on W126 grommets. The hold down bracket seals the injectors by holding everything down. My W116 is in storage, but I will post pics when I get it out this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.