Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission fluid leak

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  4wdave 
#1 ·
On my 722.004 (1973) Transmission, I have a leak from the ~2" dia. valve directly above the kickdown switch on the passenger side of the trans. I don't know what that valve is called, or how to remove the cover, or whether that can be done without removing the transmission. I can't seem to locate that part on the exploded transmission parts diagrams.

Can anyone help?

#2 ·
Sounds like the vacuum modulator. Best if you can post a pic. If indeed it is the vacuum modulator, they can be easily removed with a wrench, 19mm from memory or might be larger. It has a vacuum line connection on the cap which you need to disconnect and also replace this vacuum line while you are at it.

#3 · (Edited)
What is this part and how do I remove it?

I don't think that's it. It's the smaller of the two covers on the passenger side (directly above the kickdown solenoid threaded hole). I bent the two tabs up and I can rotate the "cap", but it doesn't seem to be threaded and I can't get it out.

(I tried to attach a photo, but I don't see it here)

#4 ·
How do I remove this part?

The ATF is leaking from behind the cover to the B-1 piston, on the passenger side. The round cover has two sheet metal tabs that were bent down into slots on the trans housing. I bent the tabs up, and I can rotate the metal cap, but I can't remove it.

I think the leaky part is 005-997-86-48-M22
Transmission O-Ring - B-1 Piston, Brand: Genuine Mercedes --- but I can't get to it!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Getting closer to the source of the leak!

OK, I found a YouTube video that showed how to make a tool to press in the cup to expose the internal wire ring clip that holds everything in. Any suggestions how to remove the wire ring clip (with the trans still in the car)?

Attachments

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks. I already have that pick set, bit I can't find the end of the ring. When I press the cap in, I can't turn it, and when the cap is not pressed in, I can't see the wire clip:-( And I took the photo right before I sprayed all the crud out...

Also, I'm not sure how my posts got into this forum. I think they started out in the R107 Forum?

#8 ·
Success -- finally!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I finally found the end of the wire ring clip and pried it out.

I assume the red o-ring is the culprit (although it looks fine). I'll order a new one and then hope I can press it all back together!

Attachments

Reactions: rumb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.