LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
can anyone advise on 350SE no start?

hey guys looking some experienced help for this one, i have a 1980 350SE, with K TRONIC. its a friends car, he said that the car was running then just died on him and would not restart. looking at the the car this is old school stuff to me, i learned my trade with ecu's obd, etc.

So having a look at it i went back to basics, so i am getting air to the throttle ok, fuel ok, but no spart, changed coil, rotor arm and distribution cap, getting a good healthy spark, still no start.

removed the spark plugs and all plugs are like new tested for spark by grounding the spark plugs, all test ok, although upon removal about 4 out of 8 plugs were wet/damp, looked into cylinder 1 and 8 the cylinder was full of fuel to the spark plug hole, so cranked engine to remove excess fuel from cyclinders, rebuilt and tried to start again thinking it was flooded, still not even an attempt to fire, just winds.

removed fule sample from system as the owner said its been 1 year since he put new fuel in, ignited fuel sample, quick ignition and burnt for approx 30 seconds thus confirming decent ignition of fuel. even tried external supply of fresh fuel, will also not appemt to start on easy start .... nothing.

upon cranking sounds like low compression or turn over, and also oil on dipstick smells very petrol like, and a bit more like water viscosity rather than oil. but oil level does not rise with turning over.

also actuated the k tronic flap and confirmed plenty of fuel, will flood cylinder 1 in about 5 seconds but not the rest.

and tried to adjusting distributor timing very slight left or right, then reset to origiinal positiuon , nothing.

any advise appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1977 450 SEL 6.9
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
If the car just suddenly died that could point to faulty voltage regulator in the alternator.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
disconnect all lines to the injectors and put a small cup under each. turn engine over for @30 seconds and see if the fuel amount is the same in each. If like you say, 1 and 8 are grossly over filled then either fuel distributor or injectors need work.

this video explains the system pretty well.

also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 PM

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '81 280E turbo M119 project, 85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii +others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I’m going to say the fuel pressure regulator failed, especially if dipstick smells like gasoline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W116 S, SE, SEL, SD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in