Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

can anyone advise on 350SE no start?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nutz 4 Benz 
#1 ·
hey guys looking some experienced help for this one, i have a 1980 350SE, with K TRONIC. its a friends car, he said that the car was running then just died on him and would not restart. looking at the the car this is old school stuff to me, i learned my trade with ecu's obd, etc.

So having a look at it i went back to basics, so i am getting air to the throttle ok, fuel ok, but no spart, changed coil, rotor arm and distribution cap, getting a good healthy spark, still no start.

removed the spark plugs and all plugs are like new tested for spark by grounding the spark plugs, all test ok, although upon removal about 4 out of 8 plugs were wet/damp, looked into cylinder 1 and 8 the cylinder was full of fuel to the spark plug hole, so cranked engine to remove excess fuel from cyclinders, rebuilt and tried to start again thinking it was flooded, still not even an attempt to fire, just winds.

removed fule sample from system as the owner said its been 1 year since he put new fuel in, ignited fuel sample, quick ignition and burnt for approx 30 seconds thus confirming decent ignition of fuel. even tried external supply of fresh fuel, will also not appemt to start on easy start .... nothing.

upon cranking sounds like low compression or turn over, and also oil on dipstick smells very petrol like, and a bit more like water viscosity rather than oil. but oil level does not rise with turning over.

also actuated the k tronic flap and confirmed plenty of fuel, will flood cylinder 1 in about 5 seconds but not the rest.

and tried to adjusting distributor timing very slight left or right, then reset to origiinal positiuon , nothing.

any advise appreciated, thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
disconnect all lines to the injectors and put a small cup under each. turn engine over for @30 seconds and see if the fuel amount is the same in each. If like you say, 1 and 8 are grossly over filled then either fuel distributor or injectors need work.

this video explains the system pretty well.

also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.