Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

engine swap

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rumb 
#1 ·
hello everyone i have a 1977 mercedes 450sel base sedan (4.5l v8). the engine has about 221k miles on it and has been sitting for over 15 years. recently i have attempted to start it up and i got the engine to turn on for a few minutes. i changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and a few hoses, but nothing. we came to the conclusion that the either the thermo-time switch or the cold-starting valve. when we ran electricity from the battery to the cold start valve connection, the engine turned on and we let it run for a few minutes but as soon as we gave it gas it turns off......any help would be great....and if anyone knows where i could get these parts that would be appreciated.
but now i am considering an engine swap for another basic v8, such as the 350 chevy or the 302 ford, and i was wondering if it would be possible, and what would need to be done besides the engine and transmission. i would appreciate pictures of other w116 v8 engine swaps, thanks for your time and have a good one.

#2 ·
15 years of sitting is HELL on these engines. I would be 95% sure that your fuel distributor and WUR will both need rebuilt and calibrated.
CIS Flowtech is the leader in doing this for you. $800 but well worth it, as it will make your engine run again. Dont bother trying to rebuild yourself, it wont work. Dont bother buying a used one, or one some dude has rebuilt, they will probably need correctly rebuilt also.

$800 is way less than an engine swap.

the tts and cold start can be found on fleabay, but as you have already tested the coldstart valve is working. tts is available new many places.

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/..._air_system/4424-thermotime_switch?s=d&page=1

but that is easily tested also. search function or google will easily find answer, uses a multimeter to measure resistance as you warm up engine.

check out w116.org as it is the leading resource for these cars. Hope to see you over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.