Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Automatic Climate Control Servo Replacement Kit

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WojtekS 
#1 ·
Hey Guys-

We discussed this in depth on the w116 forum, so I figured I would copy the details to BenzWorld as well!

Over the past couple months, my friend in Stuttgart, Germany and I developed a replacement kit for the pesky Chrysler automatic servo and amplifier. We used a modern printed circuit board with a microcontroller to take the inputs from the car's sensor chain and convert those signals to control the heat and a/c. It functions the exact same as a functioning servo would, and doesn't alter the interior control panel.

The installation process is very similar to replacing the servo. My board plugs in place of the servo wiring harness, and then you make a couple vacuum connections. Additionally, a few wires are jumped across the harness connector inside the glovebox to bypass the amplifier. A vacuum-controlled heater valve goes between the aux. pump and heater core to regulate water flow.

Unlike other products on the market, mine was not developed with the idea of mass production + profit. This allowed us to use much higher quality parts. For example, the electric solenoid motors inside my kit that route vacuum to control the heater valves and internal vent valves are medical-grade solenoids made by ASCO industries with a rated life of hundreds of millions of cycles.

My apologies if I come off as a salesman to anyone :smile I owned a 300SD, and now own a 380SL; they both had the pesky automatic system. Developing my own solution was more practical than paying for another kit or rebuilt servos.

They are about half the cost of a new servo. Anyone who's interested let me know! They just hit the market.

Any suggestions + ideas regarding the kit and system, in general, are greatly appreciated!

-Davis

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
ODBuffalo-

That's a bummer! Did your servo crack or stick? If you decide to go with my kit, it installs right in place of the servo and doesn't require any modifications to the car. I've sold a good number of them since making this post.

Below is a link to my website for the product. We also have discussed it a fair amount on the w116.org forum, so I will link that as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Thanks

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/...l-servo-less-expensive-replacement-option/30/

https://mercedesfix.com/products/climatecontrol

#4 ·
Hey 190Davis. I just bought one fo these kits. Is there an installation video anywhere? Absolutely no instructions ame with unit. The step by step is not printable. This is awfly complicated when I have to read an instruction, go to the car and try to preform it for every step. Any help that you could give me would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Cabin control unit

Hi 190Davis,

I am not sure what is not working on A/C. So in the first step I will change the servo with the electronic kit. The cooling system was working soI do not expect that some basig device is gone. If there is no improvement after servo changing, I will have to change the cabin control unit? Or this part of cooling system should be OK? Do you have experience with cabin unit if it also fails and could make problems? Or I should look for another source of not operating system?
Thanks for comments.
Tomas

#7 ·
Hey Guys-

We discussed this in depth on the w116 forum, so I figured I would copy the details to BenzWorld as well!

Over the past couple months, my friend in Stuttgart, Germany and I developed a replacement kit for the pesky Chrysler automatic servo and amplifier. We used a modern printed circuit board with a microcontroller to take the inputs from the car's sensor chain and convert those signals to control the heat and a/c. It functions the exact same as a functioning servo would, and doesn't alter the interior control panel.

The installation process is very similar to replacing the servo. My board plugs in place of the servo wiring harness, and then you make a couple vacuum connections. Additionally, a few wires are jumped across the harness connector inside the glovebox to bypass the amplifier. A vacuum-controlled heater valve goes between the aux. pump and heater core to regulate water flow.

Unlike other products on the market, mine was not developed with the idea of mass production + profit. This allowed us to use much higher quality parts. For example, the electric solenoid motors inside my kit that route vacuum to control the heater valves and internal vent valves are medical-grade solenoids made by ASCO industries with a rated life of hundreds of millions of cycles.

My apologies if I come off as a salesman to anyone :smile I owned a 300SD, and now own a 380SL; they both had the pesky automatic system. Developing my own solution was more practical than paying for another kit or rebuilt servos.

They are about half the cost of a new servo. Anyone who's interested let me know! They just hit the market.

Any suggestions + ideas regarding the kit and system, in general, are greatly appreciated!

-Davis

Hello, I am a new owner of R107 380 SL. Where can I order this kit? I am from Poland. Thanks for help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.