Starting a long neglected 6.9..... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2008 w221 S550 4Matic 2010 GLK350 4Matic 1981 280CE 1979 450SEL 6.9 1990 300SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Starting a long neglected 6.9.....

Ok here's a sort of off the wall question:

I'm looking at a 6.9 that has been laid up (for unknown reasons) for the better part of 25 years.....or since 1992....

It hasn't be started, run or otherwise touched in that time and has been stored, covered, outside.

Christ....where do I even begin with it?

Obviously before I crank it over I would do the requisite mystery oil in the cylinders, draining and replacing all fluids, dropping the fuel tank, fuel filter, pumps, all of that.

But not knowing why or how it was parked is the difficult part. My plan is to tow the car to my home shop to do the tear down, but is there anything specific that I should be looking for??

My experience with 6.9s is just about ZERO, but I have been a Benz wrench turner for most of my adult life and I'm fairly capable. Fairly.....but I know when to call in the pros!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 1974 450SEL and now a 2000 sl500
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have a 450sel so I can't help except to say post your thread on w116.org. Alot of 6.9 owners there.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1977 450 SEL 6.9
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Good luck, first off! As a 6.9 owner I call tell you you have your work cut out for you.
Suspension is where a lot of your $$$ will go. Assume it is cactus, as this is the main reason these glorious cars get kicked to the curb. The owner gets handed a 5 figure bill to correct/replace the system and that is that, as they say.
The K jet system is very robust, as long as you have pristine fuel supply and no vacuum leaks. I would replace the entire fuel package at the back for starters, these are common across the board for 450's so relatively cheap and available. Also replace all vacuum lines.
Transmission, drop pan and replace filter and all new fluid. This too may be a reason why it got laid up. The transmission is unique to the 6.9 and a possible failure point. If you see a lot of metal flake in the pan it's bad news for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2008 w221 S550 4Matic 2010 GLK350 4Matic 1981 280CE 1979 450SEL 6.9 1990 300SL
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikdaan View Post
Good luck, first off! As a 6.9 owner I call tell you you have your work cut out for you.
Suspension is where a lot of your $$$ will go. Assume it is cactus, as this is the main reason these glorious cars get kicked to the curb. The owner gets handed a 5 figure bill to correct/replace the system and that is that, as they say.
The K jet system is very robust, as long as you have pristine fuel supply and no vacuum leaks. I would replace the entire fuel package at the back for starters, these are common across the board for 450's so relatively cheap and available. Also replace all vacuum lines.
Transmission, drop pan and replace filter and all new fluid. This too may be a reason why it got laid up. The transmission is unique to the 6.9 and a possible failure point. If you see a lot of metal flake in the pan it's bad news for sure.

Thank you so much! This is the kind of information I am after. The car is sitting on jack stands, and appears to have been for quite some time so I'm assuming that the failure that lead to it's demise was somewhere in the suspension. Beyond that, strangely it looks as though the car was parked with the shift lever in the Low gear position.

The seller, who is the grandson of the original owner has little to no information about the reasons why the car was originally sat idle.....so it's a bit of a mystery, but my offer to buy the car (if such an offer is to be made) will reflect not only it's current condition but also the lack of history on it's pre-parked state.

I appreciate the feedback, I bought a W123 280CE in similar state about 3 years ago and completed the restoration of that car in the Spring. I enjoyed the process of bringing it back to life, it's been a joy to own, and now I'm kicking around the idea to take this restoration on......guess we'll see!!!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the insane asylum! I've been working on my 6.9 for 2 years now, mostly getting the mechanicals in order. You pretty much have to go thru every system on the car to get running correctly after sitting that long. Then you can move on the rust.

Your fuel system will probably need complete rebuild, including all new hoses and filters. your FD and WUR are probably going to need rebuilt.
Suspension just plan on new pressure tanks and hose rebuilds, maybe leveling valves. Brakes need a good look at. ALL rubber parts will have no doubt perished.

I've replaced about 900 parts so far and am very close to having a car that I can actually drive more than 5 miles at a go.

hope to see you on w116.org, a great group there! A great source for fixing all your problems and finding parts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Welcome to the insane asylum! I've been working on my 6.9 for 2 years now, mostly getting the mechanicals in order. You pretty much have to go thru every system on the car to get running correctly after sitting that long. Then you can move on the rust.

Your fuel system will probably need complete rebuild, including all new hoses and filters. your FD and WUR are probably going to need rebuilt.
Suspension just plan on new pressure tanks and hose rebuilds, maybe leveling valves. Brakes need a good look at. ALL rubber parts will have no doubt perished.

I've replaced about 900 parts so far and am very close to having a car that I can actually drive more than 5 miles at a go.

hope to see you on w116.org, a great group there! A great source for fixing all your problems and finding parts.

Thanks so much for your note!! I'm hoping to be able to work a deal with the seller, and be able to commit to the madness that I know the project will be!!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1977 450 SEL 6.9
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hopefully the guy is pretty much giving it away, because honestly you will sink a lot of $$$ into this one to make it run halfway right. Buyer beware
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikdaan View Post
Hopefully the guy is pretty much giving it away, because honestly you will sink a lot of $$$ into this one to make it run halfway right. Buyer beware
And for the record, the asking price is about as close to free as you can expect for a complete car
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...258461497.html

Has a few very good points, but as non running may be worth a bit less than asked.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Spent some time with the car the other day, I don't believe that the seller is correct on the amount of time the car has sat to be honest. The seller is guessing, as it belonged to a now deceased family member, that it hasn't been run since the early 90's but in going through stuff I have a feeling the car has sat for less than 10 years.

Obviously I'm guessing too, but when I looked at the oil, it was wet, viscous, and generally in pretty decent shape. It was also spot on in terms of level. Same is true for the anti-freeze, and brake fluid. Couldn't get eyes on the trans fluid. The piece that threw me was that the windshield washer fluid, although kind of mouldy looking and overall gross.....was just about full too. It was completely obvious to me that no one had touched this car in ages, prior to me opening the hood the other day and someone had prepared for the cars long slumber as the engine was wrapped in a blanket, batter removed cowling plugged accordingly, etc.

The question now is of course what caused it's parking. My guess is going to be the suspension based on the fact that the car is sitting on jack stands, but at this point it's anyone's guess.

I've also agreed to purchase the car. Asking price $500.

I'm sure it's going to be an incredibly expensive adventure, but there was a piece of me that had to throw the dice on this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W116 S, SE, SEL, SD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in