Starting a long neglected 6.9..... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2008 w221 S550 4Matic 2010 GLK350 4Matic 1981 280CE 1979 450SEL 6.9 1990 300SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sorry for the absence guys!!!

So I'll give a sort of brief update:

The title issue was resolved, I have a title, in my name here in NJ and we're good to go in that department.

The other piece of good news is that the engine/trans combination is serviceable in that it starts and has the power to move the wheels........no idea on the shifting or anything as we haven't gotten that far.....

Because I can now confirm that there has been a catastrophic failure in the suspension, although I don't know what, where, or how.

The other complication at this point is that car is more or less stuck in the mud and completely and utterly pancaked. The suspension goes full flat.

So I'm going to have to flatbed it home to figure out the next steps, but the project lives on and we'll see what's next!!

Thanks so much for keeping an eye on this project!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1977 450 SEL 6.9
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Before trying to move the car you will have to get the emergency suspension blocks in place otherwise you will seriously damage the bottom of the car. Many components sit low and they will drag and get buggered up in the process.
rumb likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
" the Vermont "loophole" which allows you to register a car in Vermont, even as a non-resident, without a title and then you take that registration to the DMV here in NJ and they *might* give you a title. "

Can you elaborate on this? I have a Hercules Wankel motorcycle which could definitely benefit from this situation.

Thank you!

Mike/Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drohalloran View Post
Sorry for the absence guys!!!

So I'll give a sort of brief update:

The title issue was resolved, I have a title, in my name here in NJ and we're good to go in that department.

The other piece of good news is that the engine/trans combination is serviceable in that it starts and has the power to move the wheels........no idea on the shifting or anything as we haven't gotten that far.....

Because I can now confirm that there has been a catastrophic failure in the suspension, although I don't know what, where, or how.

The other complication at this point is that car is more or less stuck in the mud and completely and utterly pancaked. The suspension goes full flat.

So I'm going to have to flatbed it home to figure out the next steps, but the project lives on and we'll see what's next!!

Thanks so much for keeping an eye on this project!!!
Doc, if you need parts for the hydro suspension, let me know, I have a stash.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2008 w221 S550 4Matic 2010 GLK350 4Matic 1981 280CE 1979 450SEL 6.9 1990 300SL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, just touching base here. Some minor news, the car has been moved and is now safely in my shop. I'll update some pictures later, but the word "pancake" just about adequately states the current situation........I would be a HIT in the lowrider circuit.

So we're getting started here! Step one will be getting some sort of blocks into the suspension so that I can easily move the car around. The owner lost the key in the process of cleaning out the house.....so that's a fun little side project. But at least it keeps me from being tempted to try and start it!!!

I am going to need a hell of a lot of support and help when it comes to this suspension, so anyone out there that has offered......BRACE YOURSELF! hahahahah

Thanks for checking in guys, I'm going to upload some pics later this week
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Always start simple. Make sure there is enough fluid(Febi ZHM) in the reservoir. If the tank is dry then most likely your pump is fried. My guess is you will need a full rebuild on the pump regardless.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Make it run before you assume there has been a catastrophic (pronounced "expensive") failure in the suspension.

I had a 280SE 4.5 which had the same problem. In the AM, it was on the rocker panels. Run the engine for a while and it would come back up. Park it, half an hour later, it was on the ground again.

All the "experts" promptly started with "Oh, you need a new compressor!" (which at the time was a paltry $2,300, plus labor). After futzing (technical term) with the car for a sufficient amount of time, the problem was eventually isolated: A pinhole leak in one of the tubes from the front of the car to the rear suspension. The line was steel and it rusted . . . cost of parts to repair it was about three bucks. Problem solved (that one, anyway).

The car had three height controllers - one for each front wheel and one for the rear axle (connected to a link to one of the swing-arms). There were rods which could be adjusted for length to set the "road height".

The height controllers were also a bargain, only $600 each. I found a guy who made the tools to rebuild them (!), turns out all that goes bad is a couple of little O rings. MB of course says change the entire controller, all three of them, every 60K miles, not that they have any available.

The "trick" tool was a thin steel tube with two tangs on it. I seem to remember that he made it out of a length of steel fuel line or brake line. It slid down over the central shaft and unscrewed a small, notched collar. Once the collar was off, everything came out and you could change the O rings. Shazam.

And yes, Dikdann is right, if the fluid is gone, the pump likely is fried . . .

Vermont loophole - Google is your friend. Vermont DMV sent me a registration (no titles on bikes under 300ccs OR on much of anything over 25 years old) and a license plate for a total of $53.00. Florida DMV said OK, give us $90 and we'll turn this into a Florida title for you. I did so promptly, hopefully the promised title will arrive in a week or so. I did need a VIN check for Florida, no problem, I called the local Sheriff's office and asked if they had a bored deputy who'd like to come out and look at a serial number. 20 minutes later, he was done.

Vermont DMV paperwork is very "light". No notary needed, bill of sale can (probably) be signed by "Mongo", write neatly because what comes back is what you filled out with an official stamp. No DNA test, no note from your mother, nothing . . . I presume (I hope) they at least ran the numbers through NCIC. I know Florida did.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

Last edited by Shemademebuyitforme; 01-29-2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added one line
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Garage
Start with the 5 spheres. there are 2 different ones you need. be prepared for tight line nuts get a good set of flare wrenches. any that are stuck, just heat up with a torch real good, let cool and they should come off. be patient you dont want to strip any of them. the sphere under the battery tray, remove the bracket along with the tank holding it, the nuts in the front wheel well hold the bracket on. you will still need to remove the battery tray to access everything. New copper washers everywhere.

replace the rubber hoses under the hydro tank.

Check the upper rubber mounts on the struts. if your front are bad, ask here someone may have one, they are NLA. get new rubber dirt sleeves for the rear ones. If your large hoses are weeping - wet with fluid, they are fairly easy to rebuild yourself. mercedesource has a kit, but ask back here and I will go look up the actual hose number and save your some $$. the hose still is not cheap, but less than MS sells for.

The first rising can be difficult, ask back here when you get to that point.

back by the gas tank just go ahead and replace all hoses, fuel pump and filters.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

+1 On what rumb has said on the spheres. These are a service item and must be replaced every 5 - 10 years use dependent, so taking into account that your car has sat for a very long time, they all have to be changed, no brainer. If the "5th sphere", or the "Master accumulator" is busted then the car will never rise or hold pressure, it acts as the backup for the other 4 spheres, but again you need to change all 5 as a base line. Check fluid, clean tank, new filter etc. Then she might even rise from the ashes Just a note also on the rising or "pump up". On a well functioning system it will pump up under idle revs alone in about 30 seconds from start up, or 1 minute max. If you find you have to rev it above idle to get it to rise then all is not well with your system likey a weak pump amongst other maladies, oodles of fun
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Whatever happened to this project, Dead On Arrival?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W116 S, SE, SEL, SD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in