Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Another dream car in the stable 1980 300SD

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Okie-Benz 
#1 ·
A few months ago, my wife spied what she thought was a W123 sedan at a wrecking yard. It looked like it was in fine shape so she stopped for a look. It was in fact a W116, 1980 300SD. Paint almost flawless, no cracks on the dashboard, 240k miles. Only problem was that it wouldn't start. We had it towed to our indy and found out that it had overheated badly and the motor was toast. We negotiated a screaming deal on the car and found a donor 617 motor from a W123 locally.

What an amazing car Mercedes built. It is so much more than just a bigger W123. It is a dream to drive.

See less See more
#3 ·
Beautiful car! I love my W123, but I can definitely feel the extra quality with my W126. I've tracked down a nice W116 1980 300SD for sale locally, and I'm hoping either me or my Dad can make a deal on it. The current owner claims its been in the family since new, and that it has under 70,000 miles! Enjoy the car!

#5 ·
If it was at a wrecking yard I guess it was not booked in yet? Around here once they hit the yard they can't be sold whole. There was a very nice 80 300SD that turned up at the pnp here. It was 10 times nicer than the one I am getting ready to start working on and was criminal it was there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.