Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I am pissed!

107K views 425 replies 90 participants last post by  miko1aj 
#1 ·
I buy a car from Ebay only later to find it is RHD which now stands for Right Hand Drive. Then I find out there is no conversion kit to make it normal. Whenever I drive the car it leaks oil like a sieve and there is no such thing as customer support when I call Mercedes-Benz. I go out to the garage to try and tighten it up a little and I find out this bitch only uses metric size tools not the normal American Standard. I hope anyone who wants to buy one of these things runs from it.

#3 ·
EH,

Let me help you here a little. Most European cars (and even many newer American ones) use metric tools, but that's not a real big deal, all you need is a $30 socket set. As for the oil leak, see if you can clean the motor, so that you can get a better idea as to where the oil is coming from. Many times it's something minor. Also, tell us which part of the country you're in, we might be able to point you towards some good help.

#4 ·
Electric Horseman said:
I buy a car from Ebay only later to find it is RHD which now stands for Right Hand Drive. Then I find out there is no conversion kit to make it normal. Whenever I drive the car it leaks oil like a sieve and there is no such thing as customer support when I call Mercedes-Benz. I go out to the garage to try and tighten it up a little and I find out this bitch only uses metric size tools not the normal American Standard. I hope anyone who wants to buy one of these things runs from it.
Your major problem is not RHD, conversion kits, oil leaks, metric tools, or customer service but rather the fact that you bought a car on ebay.

#9 ·
Electric Horseman said:
Your major problem is that you think you are Sherlock Holmes as you sift through clues of other peoples problem. Do you smoke a pipe when you sit at the computer?
Sir, nothing changes the fact that YOU bought a RHD auto off of ebay. Did you even view photos of the car before you bid?

Instead of formulating ideas of what you should do with this car (i.e. part it out, live with it, sell it, buy a donor car, etc.) you throw insults at fellow members. This is not constructive, and does not help YOUR problem.

Whatever you decide to do with this rather rare MB (at least rare in US) I'm sure you will get many comments, suggestions, and helpful tips from this site to guide you. The knowledge and experience of Benzworld members is remarkable.

So, with that in mind, perhaps you can focus on your plan for your MB?

#11 ·
Chaw said:
Sir, nothing changes the fact that YOU bought a RHD auto off of ebay. Did you even view photos of the car before you bid?

Instead of formulating ideas of what you should do with this car (i.e. part it out, live with it, sell it, buy a donor car, etc.) you throw insults at fellow members. This is not constructive, and does not help YOUR problem.

Whatever you decide to do with this rather rare MB (at least rare in US) I'm sure you will get many comments, suggestions, and helpful tips from this site to guide you. The knowledge and experience of Benzworld members is remarkable.

Doesn't sound remarkable to me when mods are suggesting putting leak stoppers in the oil which can seriously damage the engine.

#13 ·
Electric Horseman said:
Your major problem is that you think you are Sherlock Holmes as you sift through clues of other peoples problem. Do you smoke a pipe when you sit at the computer?
your problem is that you're an idiot. you bought a car off ebay without taking a close look at it and reading the description. you come on here expecting that you can find some magical rhd to lhd conversion.... couldn't find it so automatically we suck and MB customer support sucks. and then you're bitching about a 30 year old car that leaks oil..... something very common in a 30 year old USED car. everyone on here has tried to help you but you won't listen and instead insult them. i hope you got really ripped off on the car. you deserve it.

#15 ·
Chaw said:

Are you Mercedes-Benz Customer Service? You sure sound like someone I talked to.

#16 ·
I think this one can be solved with a comparison.

Call Cadillac, supposedly the best post purchase customer service as they have very loyal customers. Ask them for a conversion kit from a RHD car for the Japanese market and see what they say. Or vice versa ask for a RHD kit for a left hand drive DTS and tell us what they say.

#17 ·
Electric Horseman said:
Are you Mercedes-Benz Customer Service? You sure sound like someone I talked to.
Why yes, I am Sherlock Holmes, a Mercedes Benz Customer Service Representative.

It seems several of us are at least slightly interested in your car and your problem, as it is unique. Again, I will ask you, what your plans are for this car. Surely you are thinking about other alternatives since switching to RHD to LHD is one horribly steep mountain to climb. Perhaps you could find another w116 with a bad engine or body or drive train? So how about you think of a plan of action for dealing with your troubling situation?

Again, please do not take out your frustrating purchase on people that could possibly help you.

#19 ·
This is a joke right? I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to believe that someone would not know what RHD means, bought a RHD car sight unseen, and not realize that German cars use metric hardware (and always have). You guys are all getting your chains yanked. :D

Reactions: Xmsteel
#22 ·
Some useful advise

W116's are not worth a lot of money, put it back on Ebay and buy another one.

From reading your initial post about oil leaks and metric wrenches , it's pretty that you know nothing about German cars and neither does your mechanic (no offense). Trying to perform some sort of conversion is going to get you in more trouble then you are now.

What W116 model is it? Is it rust free? It may be worth something to someone in the UK, Australia, South Africa or the far east.

Good luck and try to cut your losses before you dig yourself a bigger hole.

#23 · (Edited)
ElectricHorseman said:
Hahaha. Hilarious! Just what IS modern day MB customer support supposed to say about a 30 year old right hand drive car, anyway? "Good luck with that, sir." "It turns out RHD NOW stands for Right Hand Drive." Lots of love! Yes. ==, hopefully this is a brilliant(?) joke.

#25 ·
GermanStar said:
Probably easier to move to England than to convert it anyway...
Yeah that's it. I get accused of insulting everyone when all I asked for were some professional opinions and I get shitty replies like the above. It's all one big joke and funfest while I am stuck with this bitch. Want to know what I think I'll do with it? Get some white shoe polish and write "Best Offer" and park in on a curb. Then maybe I'll follow the advice given and call Cadillac for a fine motor car experience which is what I was after anyway.

#26 ·
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM #10 Electric Horseman vbmenu_register("postmenu_2094575", true);
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz
Precisely, if it was so easy I would be shipping over Skyline GTR's. :)

But with enough money anything is possible but it's a 280SE, having RHD in the US would be quite a novelty. Parallel parking is a snap!

Look if I had wanted a novelty I would have bought a pair of fuzzy dice to hang from the rear view mirror. I asked for advice because I thought I would love this car but it is a nest of problems. I thought there would be a few people here that knew how to iron them out. Since I can't get that here could someone provide the Email or address to Mercedes-Benz customer complaints so I can tell them what I think of their car.

This is where you started insulting when everyone was trying to help you figure out a solution to your dilemma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.