Bosch D Jetronic and K Jetronic Troubleshooting - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1982 380sec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up a 1975 280se and a 1975 450sel both seem to have the 4.5. I like your articles. We met one time at a lot that was giving away cars and talked some about our rides. I have the 82 380sec, with a crap motor so I' looking at one of my 4.5s as a donor but I'll have to learn this systme just like the k-lamba.

Last edited by ak380sec; 04-19-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1982 380sec
Yep! this one is in the garage. It runs somewhat rough and I'm trying to adjust the trigger points and clean the injectors. Have you delt with anyone who has converted these distributors over to electronics. This system seems to cause problems with age. Will this engine work with my 82 126 electronics? I see a pickup off the crank so perhaps it can work with later ecu's.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
Hi,
I have the 88 500se. i cant get it start, it has fuel pressure,new fuel distributor and powerful spark. what could it be. need some support out there.
Best regards,
joji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2007
Hi there!

First of all, congratulations on the great info! It is obvious you are masters on this subject. I have a 1985 500 SEL that's been having a lot of problems in this area. First, cold-starting: The engine turns, turns, turns, and it "tries" to start 2 or 3 times before actually doing it.
Second, while in operation: the engine smokes... not badly, just a small fume. When you step on the gas pedal, it smokes a lot... however, at cruise speed it doesn't seem to smoke at all!.

I tested it's compresion and it turned out ok. The dealer says itΒ΄s "probably" the fuel distributor or the injectors, and want to change all 8 injectors and the fuel distributor. Now, the problem is that they say they "don't know for sure" if that's gonna solve the problem... and I'm not a big fan of paying lots of bucks just to "see if it works out"! Is there any way I can try to solve it myself? Is there a way to regulate de proportioning valve on the fuel distributor? How about air/fuel ratios? How do I check the cold-start injector? What else could be wrong?

Thanks a lot, guys!!

Danny
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 05:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: MB 230S '78., MB 500SE '85.,Renault 18 1.4 TL '82.
Someone knows how to solve last problem here...?
I also have problems with fuel distributor.It runs perfectly with no gas, while that one injector runs.But when fuel distributor runs, it turns off.
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 300CE-24 -91
Really good information! I have a question about the hose that goes from the airbox to the inlet manifold at the front end of the engine, it has a gigantic banjo fitting in the engine end.. There's a spring and a big screw, obviously some kind of pressure or flow adjustment is possible here, but what is this?
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
wide open throttle?

Question..
What would happen if the throttle linkage was stuck in wide open throttle position and one attempted to start the car?

I believe in EFI systems that the computer would sense that the car is not started and prevent loads of fuel from being dumped in the cylinders, but what about the k jettronic? my car would turn over but not start, so I pulled the plugs and they were soaking wet, and fuel was actually dripping out of the spark plug hole. I then played with the throttle linkage and realized that the connection between the accelerator pedal and the linkage was broken, and the linkage was in the WOT position.

thanks
Mike
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 1983 W126 300SD
Hello. Very good information in this post. It have been very useful so far.

We have a w116 280se with D jetronic with starting trouble. It is the M110-engine.

The first problem was that the car was hunting at idle. We changed the spark plugs and checked the following: both temp-sensors, pressure sensor (MPC), throttle switch, aux air valve. We also checked for vacuum leaks and that the fuel pump was running. Nothing helped.

But, when we took out the trigger points and cleaned them the problem changed. Now the engine starts but stops after 5 seconds! When it stops, it also stops the fuel pump. We have connected 12v separately but it stops anyway.

We have measured the trigger points when not installed. But my guess is that they maybe are worn down so they won't work when installed and therefore maybe the ECU stops the engine? I also think the cold start valve helps it start, and when the cold start valve stops, the engine also stops?
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
•

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '81 280E turbo M119 project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii +others
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPalm View Post
Really good information! I have a question about the hose that goes from the airbox to the inlet manifold at the front end of the engine, it has a gigantic banjo fitting in the engine end.. There's a spring and a big screw, obviously some kind of pressure or flow adjustment is possible here, but what is this?
Idle air bypass;
It is for adjusting the curb idle.
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
•

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '81 280E turbo M119 project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii +others
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_littlerock View Post
Question..
What would happen if the throttle linkage was stuck in wide open throttle position and one attempted to start the car?

I believe in EFI systems that the computer would sense that the car is not started and prevent loads of fuel from being dumped in the cylinders, but what about the k jettronic? my car would turn over but not start, so I pulled the plugs and they were soaking wet, and fuel was actually dripping out of the spark plug hole. I then played with the throttle linkage and realized that the connection between the accelerator pedal and the linkage was broken, and the linkage was in the WOT position.

thanks
Mike
K Jet is mechanical and the injectors will only spray at 45psi or greater.I'd say you have an ignition problem rather than a fuel injection problem.Check the ballast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W116 S, SE, SEL, SD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in