HELP HELP HELP malcolm - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question HELP HELP HELP malcolm

its been a rotten week and I no longer trust my judgment.... I need your expertise... PLEASE

background.... the wife is agoraphobic and on holiday with the grand-sprogs... a pretty tense time, you can imagine.

on sunday on blackpool prom, early enough to be empty (agoraphobia isn't about open spaces... its about crowds) her crutch slipped on loose sand and she went over... and broke her neck.. literally..... xrays, ct, mri plus another mri scheduled... with her taped to a spine board and blocks of foam to imobilise her

so pretty tense with me going 40miles back and forth

this morning I saw my neurologist and then went to drive and visit her.

the 110d has been perfect, except for the reverse cage which I had to get around to, and it started and nothing.... no resistance for the 1st half of clutch travel then it seemed normal.... BUT it wouldn't go into any gear.

if you held the gear lever hard back, it moved a little..... just not going into gear and no grinding from the gears.... the gear lever had gone really slack (suddenly) and flopped left to right, up and down.

I did the reverse kit and replaced the cables whilst at it (all the spares were here from my old 108d but not fitted.

after many hours I completed it.... but the reverse pin had located under the selector, not in the groove.... so take it apart and do it again (how many bolts did I drop??)

the gear lever is now crisp and sharp but won't select gear and no grinding when you try.....

with the engine off it goes smoothly into all gears.. nice and crisp, smooth and compact.

with the engine off you can put it in gear (any gear), put the clutch in and start the engine.. it starts and doesn't move..... lift the clutch and it drives off.. but if taken out of gear, you cannot reselect any.

I'm now in a lot of pain and about to take (seriously strong) painkiller.... I no longer trust my judgment but need a solution so I can get it fixed as I will now have to take a 3 hour journey each way to check on the wife and her medics.

so best guesses.. especially if you have had the problem and got it solved.

gearbox, clutch, thrust bearing, flywheel etc..... I'm open to suggestions as (as I said) I am befuddled and at the end of my tether.... quack, neurologist, surgeons etc etc etc are just getting too much, all at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have nothing to offer in answer to the question I'm afraid Malcolm, but you have my best wishes, thoughts and prayers. I'm sure someone will chip in with a suggestion, especially after all the help you've given on here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
(Thread Starter)
problem is... I could not take meds whilst doing the reverse kit and cables, it got very hot in the sun, so by the time I was finished I was in massive pain.

I then came in and took the meds (the stronger ones that I can't use if I'm going to drive in the next 72hrs)

now I'm in a different world where nothing is quite real.... at least I know my judgment is badly impaired and not to make rash decisions.

it is a wise man who knows his limitations......

when you meet him, ask him what I should do

malcolm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does the clutch feel normal now? Or is there still no resistance for the first half of the travel?

Could be that the clutch needs bleeding and is just dragging sufficiently to prevent gearchanges but not enough to provide drive with the pedal down.

Failing that, is there oil in the gearbox?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
its being fixed (hopefully) as I'm not up to it at the moment.

the slave cylinder has split and shed its fluid onto the clutch plate and wrecked it.

I can't afford it but I'm not well enough to do it myself at the moment and it's aggravated by a 3 hour trip each way by bus train and bus to visit the wife in hospital... I need the vito.

I think its really unfair of her to break her neck.......... ho hum!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
just had a call back from the clutch centre in westhoughton.

the problem was the pipe corroded over most of its length and split the slave cylinder as well.

they've saved the clutch and pressure plate and its a quarter of the work and parts I had authorised.

I wonder how many would have done the extra work anyway???

I have certainly come across numerous places that would not only have done the authorised work, even if it didn't need it, and then "find" something more.... like "it needs a dual mass flywheel" (3 garages had already said that would have to be done as they did the clutch) at "only" £568 from merc plus vat and labour.

not only have they charged massively less than expected.... but its free collection and delivery.... and I'm ONLY 35miles away.

malcolm

ta very muchly...... camukclutch.com westhoughton, gtr manchester, uk

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-08-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in