LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: Vito 112 CDI 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gearbox and shifter bushings, cables and err stuff??

Hi

My gear shift is little bit notchy, most noticeably in 3rd and reverse. Its recently had a new clutch and flywheel so it is no issue with that, and the issue was there before.

I have read through a few posts regarding replacing plastic bushings, in both the shifter leaver mechanism and on the linkage on the box. Does anyone know which bits need to be replaced to improve things? There is some play on the actual shifter, ie you can rattle it about a lot so I am thinking it is going to be more that end then on the box, but for the sake of a few quid on bushings I thought it might be worth doing the whole lot.

On a more positive note, we took it for a 250 mile round trip to Wales yesterday and sat in the back of the van with hot chocolate made on the camping stove overlooking Prestatyn beach and it was an absolute joy to drive their and back. I even got the pleasure of cruising by some T4s on the dual carriageways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
1st thing is go to mb and get a "reverse gear repair kit" its a metal "cage" on top of the gearbox... the 2 shift cables come through the bulkhead and clip onto it.

its a common problem and termed a problem with 1st and reverse..... wrong terminology, its a problem with selecting ANY gear and gets so bad that the lever moves around and NO gear can be selected..... I would recommend changing it, to ALL purchasers of a second hand vito

its about 24 from mb and is ordered to fit your VIN number (under flap between door and front seat)

1st time I did one, took about 20minutes from opening bonnet to driving off.... 1 socket or spanner and a big screwdriver to lever the cables off

malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COMPOSITE gear cable adjustment.pdf (973.1 KB, 193 views)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: Vito 112 CDI 2002
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cheers Malcolm

So aside from cable adjustment on the shifter end, there is nothing else that wears on that?

Cheers

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: Vito 108CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got the same issue though in first and third gear. I won't risk doing this but will take the cage down to my local garage and let them do their stuff. Cheers Malcolm

Driving in bright sun for the past few days. If you can forget the outside temps it's just like July at the wheel!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
there are a number of things that can wear....

cables stretch and are adjusted under the gear lever... the gear lever mechanism can wear.... the selector in the gearbox can wear out (the mechanism below the "cage")

BUT its normally the "reverse gear selector kit" that wears out.... you will find all sorts of fixes, especially replacing the plastic "bit"... BUT if any of it is worn or playing up, replacing the "cage" is the first step.... if ANYTHING has stretched or worn, the "cage" has most certainly worn out and replacing it often cures the problems........

I can never understand the number of people (inc garages) who "cut costs" by spending hours adjusting cables to save the cost of the "cage" replacement...... I have seen bills for a couple of hours work adjusting the shift cables (for 70 or 80) when 20minutes and a new reverse kit would total half that and do a better job.

its a job that is really easy to do yourself..... prise off the 2 cables (be careful not to lose the clip that secures the cable to its bracket)... undo 2 bolts (one can be hidden behind the cage)... lift off the cage.... put on a new cage.... replace the 2 bolts (I usually use screwlock or threadlock on them).... tighten the bolts... snap the cables back on (no tool needed)... drive off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in