LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vito 108D 2003 Heater Control Knob

My heater control knob seems to have no resistant & moves very freely. Consequently when you move it slightly it just blows hot air. When you turn it back to cold it sometimes continues to blow hot.

My question, is there a cable at the back of the control which may have come loose or is it electronic ? I suspect the Heater control is part of the whole unit of switches so realise I will have to take centre dash out to get to it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2013 Vito 113CDI
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't really answer your question, but I have a 2003 108CDI heater control question too, so rather than post a new topic I was hoping that you might know the answer to my question!

Basically I bought the van a couple of weeks ago and it didn't come with a manual, and I can't quite figure out quite what this knob/button should do:

Thanks (and apologies if this is seen as hijacking your post, I didn't mean to, I thought it would be better than having 2 posts with the same title).

-Gordon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No longer the Vito Virgin...now onto my 2nd van
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
From my Manual
> Heater Booster (vehicles with Diesel Engine)
The heater booster can be switched on while the engine is running to ensure that the vehicle interior reaches the selected temperature and the engine reaches operating temperature more quickly.
Indicator lamp should light up when pressed.
Note: The heater switches to standard operation if the coolant reaches a temperature of more than 80C.

The heater booster is not normally necessary at outside temperatures above +5C.

Hope this helps & hope I get an answer to my cable question !

And if you got any other questions regarding switches I have a manual here so can easily look it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi Lurgs,

Thanks very much for your response - that's great info. I wish I had known that on Sunday when I was trying to melt the ice off the windscreen! When idling the van takes forever to warm up!

There are 2 other switches that are in the same panel, but below the stereo that I'm not sure about, so if you don't mind and have time then I'd really appreciate any info you have. It's dark here now, so I can't get pics - but hopefully this description will help:

1. This is a 3 position rocker switch that looks like it should do something to the interior light(s) but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything. This might be because there is something wrong with the interior lights in the van, but I can switch the cockpit light on manually with the sliding switch in it.

2. I don't think that this is actually switch as it doesn't actually move (although of course it could be broken!), but it has a picture of a fuel pump on it. It might just be the fuel warning light, but it seems odd to have it here rather than in the main dashboard.

Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Regards,

-Gordon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 vito 115 CDI dualiner
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Premium Member
1. Yes it it is the lightswitch for the cab/rear of the van , so you may have a problem with that , or the rear light may have blown a lamp.

2. is the water in the diesel warning light, in the ten years of owning mine i never saw it on !!!

Hope this helps

Nick
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi Sparkydude,

Thanks very much for the response and information.

One of the bulbs in the loadspace lamp has gone so that might be why the cockpit switch doesn't do anything.

I'd hope I don't see that 'water in the diesel' lamp come on either, although there is a chance that it might do at the moment....the muppets that I bought the van from have put a couple of holes in the tank when they screwed down the ply lining! Once the tank is a bit more empty I'll get the holes plugged up!

Thanks again,

-Gordon

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Water in diesel lamp is a warning that the water filter on the fuel filter is full.

Yes, correct about the booster heater. You will hear it come on when it's pressed. A bit of a ticking followed by the sound of a small jety engine It's an eberspacher d5wz diesel powered booster heater. Only works when the ignition is running anf there is more than 1/4 a tank of fuel (to stop you running the tank dry with the heater!)

Finally, yes, there is a cable to control the heat. It's a blue one that runs from behind the control box down to the left hand sid eof the matrix. If you look/feel up under dash above the clutch pedal you should be able to see/feel it and where it joins the control valve. The cable does become detached or in my case, had a massive kink in it. Former can be fixed with some good glue. Latter needs a new cable as even if you straighten the kink out, the weakness it creates means it will kink again.

I know this coause mines borked
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile

Thanks for the info Gandhi, that is gonna be a job for a Saturday.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Took Dash apart on my Vito 108D 2003 & the Heater Control is definitely Electronic & not a Cable (see pictures). There is a cable for the blower speed but heater dial on far left is just an electronic plug. Cleaned all contacts so see what happens. Also the small dash bulbs (circled) have blown but didnt seem to be able to remove these as they seemed soldered in?

Dash was easy to get off anyway, circled is where the screws are then it all just unclips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	5891
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	499866   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	10973
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	499867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	2196
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	499868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	4717
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	499869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	2350
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	499870  

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
heat control

Hi, I have had both these issues. Not knowing what the right hand switch does and not being able to get cold air, even when turning the left hand dial to cold.. I also pulled my dash apart looking for a cable that would attach to the hot/cold dial..
I see you have said that yours definitely is electric and not cable controlled, but if you look at the bottom of that dial you will clearly see where a cable attaches.. It attaches at the BOTTOM, not the top, like the middle control does..
I'm going hunting for this mysterious blue cable today, at least I know to look on the drivers side of the vehicle now..
good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in