Have my unit for heat could some one post a pic of it in place?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: Merc Vito 108CDi, GSXR K8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Have my unit for heat could some one post a pic of it in place??

I finally had my Axillary heater turn up after 2 weeks of waiting.... Can any one post a pick of this in place or a fitting as mine is missing in quite as simple as straight swap....

It is located on 638 52 Under passenger foot well next to the exhaust

It will also confirm I have the right part and not bits missing

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you got there instead? Just the pipe work joined together?

Should look like THIS ONE With pretty much the same mounting bracket.

If you can post a picture of your bits, err parts, err the heater lol then i can tell you what is missing, if anything.

At work at the mo, so no access for photos. You wouldn;t be able to see much anyway, just the mounting bracket as that kind of shields the heater from the muck and grot of the road.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok I only have that big silver unit on right damn it..........

Yes the mupets have just joined the hose together and I have no heating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Ok......

Things you should check for the heater:

1) Is there a thin, clear fuel line still present from back of the tank?

2) Is there a plug to connect the wiring loom dangling around under the passenger side?
Should be 8 pin oval socket

3) Do your heater controls have a push button on the far right dial with what looks like some waves and a plus symbol?

4) On the bulkhead at the back of the engine bay, there should be a cylindrical unit with 2 or 3 (I Can't remember exactly) coolant pipes going into it and a 2 pin plug connection to the loom. This is the recirculation pump and pushes the hot coolant around heater matrix.

5) There should be a small fuel pump with the heater. It *may* have been left on the van where the heater should be. It's the item with a red lable on it on the second photo of that ebay item. This will be connected to the fuel pick up pipe I mentioned above and then to the heater.

Have you got no heating at all? Even when the engine is up to 80+ degrees?? If that is the case, there may well be a problem somewhere else. My heater is out of order at the moment and I still get massess of hot air once the van is up to temperature. Just takes a little while (15 miles?)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah got all those bits.... although not sure on the small fuel pump. Acorrding to merc the plug on the unit also powers that pump in the bulk head so it will not pump the water into the matrix.

Yes heating cold all the time.... I have done 1800 miles in it and haven't had heat once

The controls are all connected properly on the dash so I was hoping this was the problem, I'm not that fussed about having axillary heat just want some.... But though might as well fix it properly. Have to travel 280 mile x mas eve not looking forward to it lol
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

But the engine temp is getting hot enough yeah?

Have you checked that the temp control on the dash is actually moving the little lever that lets water into the matrix? Bled cooling system? checked thermostat is working so hot water actually gets to matrix etc?

If you lie on the floor with your head on the pedals and look up, you should see a blue cable that's connected to a lever, above and to the left of the clutch pedal. That's the valve that controls the amount of water that gets into the matrix. All the way towards the bulkhead is hot and into the van is cold if I remember correctly. I only know this cos mine was knackered. I think the valve gets stiff as it heats up meaning the control get difficult to operate and then if it's forced, it kinks the control cables.

The little fuel pump is powered by the Eberspacher Heater but not the electric one on the bulkhead as far as I'm aware. There's no output from the heater to trigger it. Just the Diagnostic K-line, On/Off temp control line (not connected to anything in the vito unless you have v class parking heater) and the line that connects to the main loom that tells the heater the engine is running.

Other than the fuel pump, you don't need any of the other stuff on that ebay ad to make it work as long as you can bolt it to the chassis somewhere. There are a few on ebay now.

Do you now the heater you bought is a working one?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I have done none of those things I had a brief look my self... then took it to my local garage to be told that was the problem i will have quick look for that wire by clutch.... But also the garage I took it said they know nout about Mercedes after it had been there all day.

I have been told it is working with 3 month warrentee from prestige parts and good to know about the other parts

Van heats up to just under 80 on dash
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

You should get some heat then, even just a dribble!

Definitely check the above bits. You can normally hear gurgling in the cooling system if there is an airlock somewhere. My old MR2 was a nightmare for it and due to the ridiculous auto-choke if there was an airlock, the idle used to bounce around all over the place.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Dualiner 115 CDI
Not sure if this is relevent but pollen filters on other vehicles get blocked and cause all sorts of heater issues. Is there one on this vehicle? if so try removing it.....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2015 114 Bluetec Long, 2005 Vito 111CDi XLWB, 2003 E55 AMG, 2002 Vito 108CDi, 2002 ML55
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had the same issue after replacing the thermostat and it was as Gandhi describes, the issue will be down at the lower end of the cable where it's supposed to open the matrix to hot water. You should be able to move it by hand and then you'll get your heating back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in