post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: Vito 112CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OBDII bluetooth reader & TORQUE android app

I've been looking at OBDII bluetooth readers used in conjunction with my Android phone using the TORQUE app that is available from app market place...

Mainly want the reader to provide realtime info to my phone whilst driving ie. oil pressure, temperatures, turbo boost etc. but also would be handy for fault codes...with phone or laptop.

Anyone had any success with these gizmos? For a 112CDI W638 (2001).
Is the OBD plug universal?

I've also noticed on other threads that u guys have had issues with software and/or the amount of info available off the ECU - could this be a potential problem?

All help muchos appreciated...

FUZZBOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Just for the record, I purchased one of these for the sake of experimenting. This one infact. The main reason for purchase was the "No Quibbles" Return Policy (yet to be tested!)

My Vito is a 2000 Traveliner and has had the whole loom hacked about so I'm not enirely sure of the validity of my test. It does have the correct OBD socket and appears to have the pins in the right plugs for protocol ISO 9141-2.

The Van was previously owned by a disabled person so has had all sort of driving aids previosuly wired into the loom. As far as I can tell these included clutch assist and some sort of Brake/Accelerator hand control along with an electrically operated handbrake. I've spent the last week tracing these little extra bits of wiring before I strip them out!

Anyways;

1) the unit appears to function correctly. However, two of the pins in the unit connector are longer than the rest, this has meant that the adapter need to be pressed home very hard into the socket in order for it to get a power connection out of pin 16. I'm also unsure if all of the other pins are connecting correctly. Short of opening up the case and applying a multimeter I'm not sure how to test this.

2) Both my Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Laptop will pair with the device using Torque and Scantools 1.13 respectively. They both connect to, and recognise the ECU. They both also appear to read the live data but I am unable to test this currently as my Crank Pulley/Harmonizer is on the garage floor so cannot run the engine.

3) Neither my Phone or Laptop will read any error codes, despite the EDC light being on. I suspect this is either down to the Blue-tooth adaptor and it's implementation of the protocol, a connection in the socket or the software not being able to read the bespoke mercedes codes. I did think though, that either of them would have at least have read the generic codes. i may try to trigger one by diconnecting something vital and see if that works.

Conclusion short answer is yes, will connect to my Vito with OBD2 via Samsung Galaxy S2 and the adaptor listed above although it may not read/reset codes. Ideally, I'd like to test this on another Vito to eliminate the software and dongle out of the equation.

Next Steps I'm going to contact the developer of torque and send him an error/debug log as he should be able to tell if it's a problem with the adapator or the software. I am also going to acquire a copy of Carsoft and see if I can trick it into thinking it's connected to a serial cable when the data is actually coming in via bluetooth. Shouldn't be too hard as that is effectively what Scantools does on the Laptop anyway.

Hope this is of some help to someone. I'll keep you updated.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Ok,

Now have a copy of Carsoft, but no compatible laptop to run it on. Humbug. ity wont run on Windows 7 and I only have Home premium so can't use the XP virtual machine.

Did a few more tests last night and the reader will pick up throttle position, coolant temperature amongst a few other things.

See below for reply from Developer of Torque BHP (who incidentally, got back to me very quickly after I posted on the forum there, so top bloke!)

Quote:
Hi

The EDC (from memory) is not covered by the OBD2 DTC standard – it is seperate unit to the vehicle ECU in the fact that it can light up without a corresponding OBD2 fault code

It’s possible that you have a fuelling problem, something like a dead glow plug or fuel starvation (ie the fuel filter needs cleaning)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2013
Working solution

Found this thread that was perfect for me thought I would say thanks by adding my working solution

This connector Any Car Mini Bluetooth ELM327 OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner connected to my Samsung GalaxyTab2 7 using Torque worked lovely.

I tried to use it on my PC but it set the Com Port to Com9 which was way above any of the ones offered by the various PC software I used (yes I know I ccould change it but didn't want to mess with Com Ports on test)

So far I have been on one two minute run to confirm it reads the various sensors. Now to buy the full version of Torque and start looking for the fault that is causing it to periodically revert to 3000rpm

Any Car Mini Bluetooth ELM327 OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner Eraser Auto Engine Code | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in