Just for the record, I purchased one of these for the sake of experimenting. This one infact.
The main reason for purchase was the "No Quibbles" Return Policy (yet to be tested!)
My Vito is a 2000 Traveliner and has had the whole loom hacked about so I'm not enirely sure of the validity of my test. It does have the correct OBD socket and appears to have the pins in the right plugs for protocol ISO 9141-2.
The Van was previously owned by a disabled person so has had all sort of driving aids previosuly wired into the loom. As far as I can tell these included clutch assist and some sort of Brake/Accelerator hand control along with an electrically operated handbrake. I've spent the last week tracing these little extra bits of wiring before I strip them out!
1) the unit appears to function correctly. However, two of the pins in the unit connector are longer than the rest, this has meant that the adapter need to be pressed home very hard into the socket in order for it to get a power connection out of pin 16. I'm also unsure if all of the other pins are connecting correctly. Short of opening up the case and applying a multimeter I'm not sure how to test this.
2) Both my Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Laptop will pair with the device using Torque and Scantools 1.13 respectively. They both connect to, and recognise the ECU. They both also appear to read the live data but I am unable to test this currently as my Crank Pulley/Harmonizer is on the garage floor so cannot run the engine.
3) Neither my Phone or Laptop will read any error codes, despite the EDC light being on. I suspect this is either down to the Blue-tooth adaptor and it's implementation of the protocol, a connection in the socket or the software not being able to read the bespoke mercedes codes. I did think though, that either of them would have at least have read the generic codes. i may try to trigger one by diconnecting something vital and see if that works.
short answer is yes, will connect to my
Vito with OBD2 via Samsung Galaxy S2 and the adaptor listed above although it may not read/reset codes. Ideally, I'd like to test this on another Vito to eliminate the software and dongle out of the equation.
I'm going to contact the developer of torque and send him an error/debug log as he should be able to tell if it's a problem with the adapator or the software. I am also going to acquire a copy of Carsoft and see if I can trick it into thinking it's connected to a serial cable when the data is actually coming in via bluetooth. Shouldn't be too hard as that is effectively what Scantools does on the Laptop anyway.
Hope this is of some help to someone. I'll keep you updated.