post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: Mercedes VITO 111CDI 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noisy mechanical gear change

I just bought my first Van / Vito. It's a 2007reg 111CDI.

When I change gears, there is a noisy (from the exterior) mechanical, clinking, clanking sound. It's not gears grating, It's more like cables and metal being knocked about.

Is this normal?

Gear selection works fine. Just a bit ****ing noisy!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Hi ya and welcome, if its the same as the 638 models (yours is a 639) then it could well be tha counter weights on the gearbox end of the cables, on the 638's they can make a right old clatter sometimes but can be cured by a good coat of grease. Its an easy job and you can soon see if it that by getting someone to stir the box wilst you look at the top of the box.
Just as an afterthought the 638's also suffered from the plastic bush that the counterweight sat in breaking up or wearing out because of lubrication
Cheers Martin

Last edited by walsi; 06-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your suggestions. I will pass them on to the garage.

I have now determined that the noisy gear change clanking only happens from cold. After everything warms up I get the quieter, mechanical click clack.

Is greasing the gearbox linkage a normal part of the Vito servicing or is it a DIY job?

The Van is only on 38k, but should I get them to change the gearbox oil too. It has never been changed as far as I know. The van is a 2007 reg.

I really love the van and I'm already planning a lot of family trips, camping, surfing, cycling, and kayaking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Hi ya, no its not part of a normal service but something you can do yourself, just open the bonnet and look down and back if its like the old 638.
I would get the oil changed if you can just to check that it looks ok because gearbox problems on these are not unheard of but its not what they would do as part of the service at such low miles.

Cheers Martin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your excellent advice.

I've done some more driving this morning from cold and have come to the conclusion that the loud clanking from cold happens on gear release, or rather, when I get a delayed release. I had a gear change from 1st to second when I had the clutch fully pressed and I got a delayed clank, about 1 second later.

Sounds like your idea about the counter weight is a good one. It's now with MB and they are keeping it overnight so they can test it out from cold tomorrow. They are going to change the gearbox oil for good measure and I will call them now to suggest they grease up the gearbox cables too.

Thank again!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Please let us know the outcome

Martin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I just heard from the garage.

It is as you suggested, the linkage needed some greasing. They have also changed the gearbox oil for good measure.

I'm not sure I understand it right, so correct me if I am wrong. The clanking noise was from a loose cable being pulled taut by the counter weight. When I press the clutch, the gear linkage goes loose, then the counter weight kicks in a bit late, due to the lack of grease, and cable goes taut and CLANK. Something like that?

I'm picking it up mid-day. I can't wait to get the black beauty back!

Thank you
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Hi ya, it sort of makes sense, i think what they are saying is there was a bit of free play in one of the cables and it was the counter weight taking up the free play but it was slow because of the lack of grease but i could be wrong as my wife often points out i normaly am

Cheers Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in