post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: V280, Viano 3.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Gearbox Problems on W639 Viano

A problem has occurred on my Viano 3.5 Automatic.

On startup the gearbox will not go into drive, if I override this (pressing the white button under the gear selector trim) then the vehicle drives but stays in 2nd or Reverse. Plus when selecting drive, the transition from neutral is very harsh.

The brake lights are working (you normally have to press the brakes to get it into drive) and I have checked the fuses in the main fusebox.

The display on the instrument panel PRND normally has one of the letters highlighted depending on the position of the selector, none of these is highlighted.

The lights on the trim by the selector are not lighting up either.

Does anybody have any ideas what to check next, there are a couple of small PCBs down by the selector, which one to look at first?

Russ Wood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Hi ya, get the codes read because it will save a lot of guess work, it could be an oil leak onto the electircs, it could be low oil(when was it last changed) it could be any number of things to do with the electonics on the box. Sorry i'm not much help

Cheers Martin
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Reading Codes

I've got a mobile mechanic with a diagnostic reader coming round on Tuesday.

Hope he can see things in detail enough.

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile Resolution of Gearbox problems

The mobile mechanic came round and plugged in his STAR diagnostic kit, it reported that the gearbox selector sensor was not communicating.

Given the symptoms etc. he thought the diagnosis was sensible so I ordered a new one £140 plus vat.

He fitted it this morning and all started to work correctly.

There are three PCBs involved, one is up by the gear handle and contains the LEDs that light the PRND+- signals on the console.

This is linked by a ribbon cable (bonded on) to the main board. This board has a processor on it and also two hall effect transducers to sense the + and - of the tiptronic. This board has the connector into the main loom carrying the CANBUS wires, power, ignition power etc. It has a separate connector for the interlock solenoid.

The third board has a number of hall effect transducers that sense the PRND position of the lever.

The last two boards are mounted on a plastic sub-chassis about 2" by 3" by 2".

The gear lever itself has two magnets mounted on it, one for each of the sets of transducers above.

Russ
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Good out come.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Bring back the good old days of a cable with an adjuster, even if that broke you could still crawl underneath and get it in drive.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Hi Russwood,

I know the thread has been 8 years but i have just encountered the same problem. My Viano 2008 stays at R position and if i manage to start the viano, it stays on 1st or 2nd gear.

Can you share with me the sensor type that you bought and how to install it.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: Vito 115 CDI LWB 2008 in black - Aston DB7 Vantage Volante in Black - Range Rover Sport in Black
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I am also having an issue with my auto box. I have a 2008 115CDI Vito Traveliner. Last weekend as I was driving it dropped down to a low gear then would change up. I stopped turned the engine off and when I restarted it and tried to put it in drive it wouldnt let me, so I restarted it and it was fine for about 500 yards then did the same. I was nearly at teh my destination so just carried on the 200 yds . On the way home it did a similar thing.

I have checked the oil and this appears to be OK, although I am not convinced I am doing it right as the dipstick i bought is getting oil on it all the way to the top of the measurement.

I have just driven it today and it was fine for about 6 miles then did it again, i.e wouldnt change up gear. I stopped put it in park gave it a minute then set off and it was fine again.

I am loathe to pay the £40 for diagnostic as I paid this about a month ago for another issue and it came back with nothing.

Any suggestions please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in