LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
need some gearbox pictures

Hello all, I have a vito 108cdi thats been having problems with gear changing especially when cold, 2nd gear is a killer until engine warms up.I have read all the posts of similar problems gerabox magic.. etc. and its not that bit, might be the cables... but the counter arm weight is knackered just flopping about. so had to by a new one from merc as mine was missing plastic rectangle and bushes were cracked and worn. So I need to refit the new one and I need a picture of how its supposed to look on the gearbox and where it attaches to.

I know this may sound daft as the old one has been removed but it was not removed by me so I'm not sure exactly where it sits on the gearbox. Pretty sure I can fit it myself without having to pay a mechanic to refit it. So any pics/ descripition would help.

Really Hope this sorts out my gear changing problems!
Thanks Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is a 2000 110cdi but I think the linkage is the same.

I just went out and took them in the dark so if you want some in daylight then I can do them tomorrow.

By the way mine still has the same trouble with 3rd gear when it is cold so I would be very interested to see exactly what you have done and how it works out for you. I have so far replaced the little nylon piece (it didn't make any difference), changed the gearbox oil ( no different) and adjusted the cables (no difference).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear1.JPG
Views:	7596
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	290910   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear2.JPG
Views:	1641
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	290911   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear3.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	290912   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear4.JPG
Views:	1226
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	290913  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much thats great, I'm really hoping this sorts it out. If not gonna have to get the cables changed
Here I have added some photos so you can see what the new part looks like, aparently you can buy a replacement bushes but not the plastic rectangle thing. So I had to take the plunge about £100 from merc this part is Ouch!
My gear change has been the same as it was with the broken weight off so its gotta make some difference gonna have a go in a bit fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes it worked still not 100% smooth but I would say at least 80% better. Maybe a bit of extra greese inside the gear knob gaiter end and it might improve, also adjusted the gear linkage, pretty much made the yellow cable that does forward and backwards movement as short as possible under the ashtray. That helps too, if its too long 3rd gear kept jumping out and didn't feel like it was going in properly.

One last thing I sometimes feel that if I don't push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it engages gear better, wheather thats a sign that my clutch has a problem I don't know? hope not, 1st and reverse gear are really good. If you like I can take some pictures just let me know.

Regards Marty
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
Thanks for the update Marty. I didn't even realize there was a piece missing on mine.

I am now sourcing myself a new piece.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No worries, Good luck, every breakers yard I found a vito in had the same problem. Although I forgot to message these guys who are vito breakers on ebay, they might have that bit in tact.eBay My World - cps-motors
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2003 112 vito
hi guys,
my vitos gears were always a bit clunky, sprayed some greese on them and that smoothed things out..until yesterday, and what ever happened my gears would not change at all..noticed plastic part has been missing since the beginning (thank you for reference photos) but i was still able to change ok
basicially yesterday i could not engage any gears while engine turning
..had to kill engine-start in 1st and off i went..a few times doing this the van would lurch even with clutch all the way to floor..
but the problem was totally intermittent..it got so bad i could not get into 5th at all and the otheres were all stiff..stopped, killed engine, rang a mate to see if he could solve problem..no luck..but she started up , gears all working fine again..off i went..then this morning back to stiff changes and having to start in 1st..

did you have any luck finding the counterweight with plastic part?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
I'd be half tempted to whip the square bush out and glue the bloody thing back down.

Did you take any measurements of the bush? I'll be dammed if I'm gunna pay a oner for a bush. Big thanks to MB for that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bringin the beast back from the dead
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2003 112 vito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Chris View Post
I'd be half tempted to whip the square bush out and glue the bloody thing back down.

Did you take any measurements of the bush? I'll be dammed if I'm gunna pay a oner for a bush. Big thanks to MB for that
i replaced the mising bush with cable ties! about 10 or 12 of them, tied them through the square hole around the edge and snipped off the excess, with 5 or 6 on each side the part inbetween is totally cushioned and can still move up and down easy..this did not fix my problem (which im sure is the hydrolic clutch system needing a bleed) but did stop the counter weight flapping around (it was hitting the metal beside it when changing into 1st)

so far so good and if needs be they can be snipped out in a few seconds howwever seeing as the 1st part was plastic they should be fine-and cheap to replace if they do wear out!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
Simon!
I have just done exactly the same to mine, about an hour ago!

I also took the cylinder shaped bush out and put some JB metal weld around it for a tighter fit.
The results are fan-fecking-tastic!

When I table Kied mine, I did a row each side, then went and did another row over each side again to close the gap a tad more.
Leathered it with grease and it's... it's like a new gearbox

I didn't actually think my gearbox was bad at all until I did this pocket money fix.

Anyone wanting to try this, you need a 13mm spanner.
Undo the nut that secures the weight arm to the box and remove.
You should have in your hand the arm itself, the 13mm bolt and washer and the metal cylinder with bush that goes in the end of the arm.

Cable tie the square part right along the longest sides (twice on each) and then refit.
You can also do something with the bush like I did, if there is play in it, I'd recommend it. I squeezed some JB metal weld (like epoxy) in between the plastic bush and the weight arms hole.
Once it had gone off I checked it for play - nothing. I can't see how it can fall out either as it is closed off at each end. One by the bush and one by the washer.

Bringin the beast back from the dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in