post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
more help required

sorry guys
clutch pedal sticking to floor but when pedal has stuck to floor the clutch is still engaged very difficult to explain is there a cable or somthing sticking that i can get to to oil or some
thing why at christmas why

martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
nope more serious than sticky pedal noise coming from gearbox area now
gunna get that van fixed then sell it i think get a vw transporter

martin
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: V220 CDI 2003
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Sarge786
Hi, Sorry can't help much, but can it possibly the clutch bearing?
Plese don't defect over to the otherside just yet as I'm, sure there will be guy's here that can shed light on your issue, problem is everyone is away for the hols.

I hope you get it sorted mate.

SARGE

MERCDADS = Mercedes Dealers Are Donkeys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Vito 111CDi 2004
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
right then...

Do you have any pressure or resistance when you pressed the pedal down?

The clutch pedal is operated using a hydraulic system. Your pedal presses a master cylinder which pushes hydraulic fluid through a tube which goes straight to a slave cylinder which is bolted directly to your transmission (You might be able to see the slave cylinder if you have a peek under the LH wheel). If the master or slave cylinder piston itself leaks (i.e. it's there's no pressure in the hydraulic fluid) then your clutch won't disengage. It's possibly the first place I would look. If it's passing it might not be physically leaking.

For the master cylinder: in the cab, if you follow the pedal to the connecting rod to the passenger side of the vehicle you might be able to see it (you will need to remove the covering under the passenger's side - it's just a flimsy bit of plastic held on with 2 disc-shaped screws that you can undo by hand. Are there any leaks from it?

Have you checked the level of hydraulic fluid in the reservoir under the bonnet? Is it between min and max? Air in the system could also inhibit the ability to operate the clutch from the pedal correctly though it could also affect the braking.

Other than that, it's a transmission out of the van job I am afraid. The slave cylinder pushes a rod onto a lever which pushes the clutch release bearing onto the clutch plate so if it's these then your clutch mechanism might have been making funny noises before it failed. If it just went suddenly with no warning its more likely to be your hydraulics.

My money would be on your master or slave cylinder. They don't last forever (or even a few years if you bought a british built car).

sorry to hear of your woes.

Good luck!

Adam.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by adamuk; 12-23-2006 at 08:48 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Sorry more questions than answers...this is a curious problem cos, if the slave or master had gone, surely the spring fitted the pedal would return the pedal back to its home position? I would be surprised to see the pedal just returning with hydraulic pressure...

So if my reasoning is correct, there is somthig wrong with the mechanical linkage that connects the pedal to the master cylinder or its actuating mechanism.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
argghh thank you so much for the replies IT IS APPRECIATEDE (had to check the spelling) was hoping for a sprayof WD40 here to correct problem like I said in previous post I am just a simple carpenter some of its like asking a machanic to do a cut roof. problem is i like the van (traded in an imported honda integra typre R for this not the same but practical) just had the glowplugs replaced cost me £197.00 plus vat was i ripped off? and it (not the clutch problem this is a new one) never solved the problem I live in Swindon anyone on here wants to earn some extra cash

HELP MEEEEEE

Martin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quite possibly. The spring is located right there, a few inches from your left foot. It is possible that this has broken or popped out but it was a bugger to move the last time I saw it. Yes, the hydraulic pressure wouldn't return the pedal.

If I were Martin I would start looking at the clutch pedal and work my way through the linkages to the master cylinder.

It's this sort of thing that makes it hard on forums without being there and having a look and listen to the van. They speak to us, these machines do.

Ad.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

£197 quid? You could have done it yourself but then sometimes they can be an absolute t**t to get out and with no mechanical experience it could be a road to (further) disaster. If you search on here you will find all sorts of experiences of people who couldn't get the buggers out!

Still... 197 quid is still 197 quid...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
M - luv to take u up on your offer, you'd have to throw in a plane ticket and a visa in tho!!!

Ur a carpenter, then ur a practical guy, thats all u need, that and some logic and patience.

get down into the footwell and study how u think the pedal should work, imagine it being pushed down and try to follow the linkages as they would move. Somewhere u have a pin thats come out, a bolt thats worked loose or a spring that has broken. I understand the frsutration, but imagine the joy when you conquer this. u can tell all your sawdust sniffing mates how handy you are with the spanners!

Its really a simple device, I KNOW u can figure this out...besides which I'm dying to know what the problem is.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
cheers guys
I have looked in the footwell everything appears to work as it should springs in place, something i have found now is whiltst the engine isn't running which is most of the bloody time the clutch comes back up as it should, however when the engines running thats when the problem seems to start the clutch just feels wrong when pressing is down aswell, sometimes no resistance, I have checked the clutch fluid (in the same well as the brake fluid) and the levels r ok,

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in