Where should I get injectors and pump work? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Yes, the old style primer will allow air to enter the fuel system. It’s under suction when the engine is running. This can severely affect power of its leaking badly. It’s a must do maintenance item and needs to be done prior to further diagnosis of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1986 Unimog 1300L
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK, thanks. I've got one ordered. When it gets here, I'll swap it, bleed the system, check the filters, clean the bowl, and see if we gained any ground.

LARS LLC
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK, so I changed the fuel primer to the new style, cleaned some more junk out of the fuel bowl It started right up, but I noticed what appears to be air bubbles in the bowl, sloshing around. Is this normal? Or do I need to bleed air out at the filters??? Or??? I'm heading out for a test drive now, to see if anything has changed...

LARS LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1986 U1300L; 1976 U900 Cabriolet
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have a 1986 U1300L ambulance with turbo fitted, but only pushed out to 150hp. Dealer's decision, not mine. I wanted more. I tried 365/85's which are a bit lighter and smaller than your 395/85's and it killed the acceleration and braking. The ambulance is a heavy body and combined with the bigger tyres you will need quite a bit extra from your engine. Atkinson Vos have a kit which adds a turbo, intercooler, uprated radiator, uprated pump and the appropriate injectors and take these NA motors out to about 180hp without sending your EGT's sky high.

I've tinkered with mine over time. Upgraded the turbo to the Garrett used on the U1700L, new injectors and back to 365/80 tyres (biggest difference). I also changed out the portal gearing and bearings to the latest 20% extra gearing from AV. It now cruises at 100kmph (62mph) with ease, but works the engine hard. It's jumped from 22l/100km to 28l/100. The big change I'm making is to replace the ambulance box with a custom camper which will be 2,500lbs lighter. Once that's done I'll try it out to see how well it handles and then decide what to do with the motor.

We removed the camper, 6,600 lbs with all my junk in it, and I took the truck for a drive. I'd expected a bit more neck-wrenching acceleration, but it doesn't seem to pick up speed any quicker, just holds the hills better.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm smiling. It seems like it worked! I was able to get 55 MPH today...a new high score, at about 2800 RPM. Acceleration seemed improved, and it pulled the pass in 8th gear, awesome.

LARS LLC
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
CragDuc - interesting. So with the Garret 1700 turbo, not that much difference? So what's the word on the weight of the ambulance - 2,500 Lbs? I had my eye on an aluminum box van - box a few hours from here. It should be much lighter due to material weight and lack of super structure - I think. Do you use your diesel heater from the ambulance? Does it keep it warm? Does anyone have plans out there to capitalize on the Unimog 3 point mount for a box, without buying the expensive (and I'm sure nice) frame mount from Germany, or wherever it comes from?

LARS LLC
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1986 U1300L; 1976 U900 Cabriolet
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Each bit makes a little difference. The turbo upgrade initially had the turbo from the U1500L which is a smaller KKK. The bigger U1700L turbo made a difference as did the new injectors. I'm probably at 160hp, but lack the torque that the true OM352A motor develops, most likely due to the cam differences.

The Binz box on it's own is about 1,600kgs (3,520lbs) including subframe. FGS Composites has purpose built a new subframe. We looked at the Atlas offer and liked it, but decided to customize the subframe to take our steps, toolboxes, etc. By leaving the existing subframe in place I could also sell the Binz box. That made more sense. I'll start a thread on the build.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Holy cow heavy. Were the new injectors higher power rated injectors, or just new?

LARS LLC
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: Unimog S 404.114
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
no Freightliner ore Bosch service near you?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
There is a Freightliner place in the next town. It seems that dealerships don't generally want to modify things in trucks. I just thought that maybe there is someone who has ordered higher performance injectors from X company. There are many companies in the States that sell injectors for Ford or Dodge trucks, that are modified to produce 100 extra horsepower (for example) right on ebay. You can just buy the injectors that someone else already modified to produce whatever effect you desire. There are, as I'm sure you know already, many companies that deal in this kind of stuff. I was hoping that there was a few that someone could mention. It sounds like VOS or whatever it's called does some of these things, but is it the only company that offers modifications to the motors in these trucks?

LARS LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in